Jaltrooper's ANH Stunt "Tall Guy / Newbie" AM 2.0 Build

Thanks Chris! Much Appreciated. 

If I could...I have everything ready to go...but for two trims on the shins. 

I have done all the possible research on the matter...and I am still wanting to be 100% sure they are right before final assembly.

So...to all my fellow troopers, based on the threads and instructions, pictures and comments, the "contour" goes to the inside and the "slight curvature" to the outside, like this:

20170203_185926_zpszlnnzimj.jpg

20170202_211821_zps00hfk2du.jpg

20170203_185640_zpsgad7vdb4.jpg

20170202_211817_zpsyb4vtega.jpg

Based on the parts I have, and everything...this is the set up and how they are supposed to go. 

Thoughts before final assembly?

Thanks all!

Jon

Looking good Jon, a couple things worth mentioning. From the edge of the helmet tube stripes to the face is = to a #2 pencil in width. The Ab button plates should NOT exceed the width of the base they're being glued to. Hope this helps

Reference photos

gallery_12157_15_8491.jpgab%20buttons.jpg

Thanks Tony!

Funny you should mention that...

20170204_103031_zps4tedar8d.jpg

I actually caught the right one was "off" (too far away) last evening. did (another) toothpick scrape...and voila! Here is the "white coat" (helps prevent "blue bleed through" on the templates). So, that makes it 3 paints on that side. Note to self...pay attention on the paint set up for the tube stripes..haha.

Left one is right where I need it:

20170204_103000_zpsg3fqfp6u.jpg

So yep...for those of you wondering if I have the patience of Job...well...I didn;t get into this build to get it wrong....haha. 

On the ab buttons, I posted my "fitting" picture, (before sanding and finishing)...so it could be misleading, I am glad Tony mentioned that before someone else went off my initial pic. 

I "trimmed" to the inside of my line, and got this:

20170204_110610_zpsnihcob9j.jpg

Still have to sand the edges smooth. But, like Tony said, I need to have them "inside the square"...based on the "ANH" pics I looked at before I started.

So, with that...I have 9 10 year old girls screaming around the house today (Daughter's 10th B'day so wish me luck there)

Also...last thing, I received this in the mail today!

20170204_112436_zps2iuu3t1c.jpg

Awesome TKittell belt www.imperialissue.com 

I realized that I now have nothing else to "purchase" for this build...total outlay (excluding bench)...around $1,472...worth EVERY PENNY! I would suspect if I wasn't so "I need to have"...it would have been right at around $1,000 total. 

And, my next build...I won't have to buy near as much! And, I should mention, I had some tools, but went ahead and bought a lot of stuff that is "build specific"...so it'll be a good long term investment. I plan on sticking around for a while, and can also help any of my Garrison partners moving forward, too.

Have a great Saturday! Strapping assembly day today! Shins curing...we are almost at the finish line. 

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper

Ok, so all strapping is done, prepared and good to go.

I am using 2" white nylon for the shoulder straps (thanks for the tip Joseph!) so I created two "double snap plates" using Tandy Line 24 snaps.

20170203_221643_zpswm1jcpgr.jpg

20170203_221641_zpswwtuujdo.jpg

Fit and trimmed the chest...so these will glue under the straps. I left 10" on the nylon tag end for fitting and adjustment. Already have the plates (used the .090 ABS sent with kit) made, 

Also, did the shoulder bell 1" black elastic - cut at 11"

20170204_133939_zps6ejqcdig.jpg

Then installed:

20170204_211321_zpswghyfgph.jpg

I "test fit" with the bicep in the bell, marked at where there was some stretch, then used the Zap A Gap / Zip Kicker to install. Took me 5 minutes to install both.

Then, I cut 2 1" black  x 8" "bell to shoulder strap" pieces:

20170204_133846_zpsvfgshciy.jpg

I folded over an inch, glued with the loctite fabric glue / clamped. After an hour, I sewed a size 10 "sew on snap" in the folded over section. Figured the fold would add strength...I am contemplating using nylon...but may just leave it as is. My thinking here is I don't want "stretch" on this connection (for the right fit), but nylon may be more "scratchy" then elastic. Everyone else uses elastic, so why buck the ol system, eh?

20170204_144010_zpsqzkf003k.jpg

20170204_211222_zpscv4zkuh8.jpg

I'll "fit" these to the shoulder straps once I do the final "arm to shoulder" fitting...i.e. the gluing position will be so the shoulder bell is the right look / distance from the chest / back / straps...

Then, cut 2 pieces of 2" black @ 7" for the bicep-to-forearm connection...about to install these.

20170204_134010_zpsbw8hoq3u.jpg

All pieces of nylon and / or elastic, I "sealed" the ends with the soldering iron to prevent fraying of the pieces. Just run it over both sides at an angle, being sure to hit the corners as well:

20170204_134332_zpstxf6te6t.jpg

Speaking of the Chest...

Found the center of the chest, and marked it on the return edge.

***Reminder - this section of the "Mr. No Stripes bracket" install uses the "larger" brackets to allow for the ab to chest overhang***

20170203_203406_zpspbdfcbun.jpg

Then simply marked the "mounting holes" of the Mr. No Stripes brackets with the bracket centered on the mark. I "adjusted" the mounting holes to be sure the bracket was @ 90 degrees to the return edge like this:

20170203_203521_zpsushnjj35.jpg

Carefully drilled the two holes, then mounted / screwed one side of the bracket, slid the elastic on, then buttoned up the other side.

Then measured in 1" from either side of the chest piece curve. marked the outside mounting hole, placed the bracket, measured the other, then drilled (making sure I was dead center of the return edge) / installed both.

20170203_203428_zpsgbpqlthu.jpg

20170203_203420_zpsvcy0w8qx.jpg

Here's the finished product:

20170203_203435_zpsn7nmkqnc.jpg

20170203_205723_zpsya9k4ics.jpg

I made sure the screws were tightened right when the "lock nut" engaged, but did not "over tighten". You want the lock in the nut to "catch"...but too tight could cause damage later. Don;t get me wrong, this is for accuracy...and I am sure I may have to do some repairs down the road...but, this is really easy to install, and I read it allows the armor to "move with you"...so...we'll see. VERY impressed so far. 

By the way, all of the trimming, whittling, etc...hours of it...not once did I not use my "cut proof gloves"...picked up the ab button for a quick trim

20170204_211343_zps7wfwddnf.jpg

Got it so bad - 2 stitches. Be careful...and always wear those gloves!!!!!!

Anyway, arms done, next post will be the finishing of the shins, working on the mid-section, then thighs, helmet finishing and decision on electronics...then...APPROVAL REQUEST.

My "Saturday" try was a little ambitious, but I have a commitment to my fellow Garrison Members...so I am going to push to be done...

More to come!

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper

I wanted to update my "Mr. No Stripes" install.

After carefully looking at the mounted brackets, I decided that "reinforcing" them would be the best course of action. So, I took some of my scrap ABS and did this...

20170207_034402_zpszkwxs2cv.jpg

I used the utility blade, scored / snapped, then measured the holes, drilled, then put this between the return edge on the armor, and the bracket. since some of the areas are curved, I traced the area to trim before install and trimmed with my exacto.

20170207_041920_zpsyr0ezocp.jpg

Then simply installed the support bracket. Sure, I was a pain to remove the ones I already did...but my thinking was this would be better in the long run. 

I think this will distribute the force / wear to the reinforcement plate, making the armor less vulnerable to the wear of a troop. 

We'll see!

Also...have done some work since last post...time to get some of it in here. 

I did my final test fit on the shins.

Then I assembled the front with an inner strip, then the cover strip on the front. I won;t bore everyone with "glue and clamp" pics. 

Paying attention to the fact that the "overlap / cover strip" piece of the back of the shins faces inward (cover strip goes on the "outer" side, I found my center, then trimmed it first. Then, like the biceps, I just used that cut line to mark the other side's cut line.

20170205_165553_zpsidsr5oeg.jpg

I then applied the cover strip, making sure to sand both gluing points, spreading the E-6000 with a craft stick, the clamp / magnet / let cure for 24 hours. As an fyi, I did the entire shins with E-6000. Again, I figured there are enough pictures of clamps and magnets...but...I clamped and magneted everything accordingly. 

Always sand these parts to insure a good adhesion:

20170205_171312_zpsecwn4owi.jpg

20170205_171358_zpsh1va8nrl.jpg

Once the cover strip was cured, I grabbed my "elastic / bra hook connectors" that I made in an earlier post, I measured the inside length, then placed them at 1 1/2" from the ends, then the middle one right on the center. I made sure the "folded part" (see pic) with the bra hook was not glued (need this to stretch / give some". to be sure, I put some craft sticks under that part to keep it away from any glue. I sanded the area where these are glued, then used magnets to secure while curing. 

20170206_190649_zpsdec1aqse.jpg

When cured, I'll carefully "push in" the side the needs the holes drilled, mark where the holes need to be drilled, then drill a 1/8" hole at the mark, and boom, shins will be done! I am also going to carefully glue a 1/8 washer over the hole, to support the armor at these "attaching holes".

A recurring theme, I intend to troop and help my Garrison a lot...so I am not only building for accuracy, but for comfort and durability as well. 

On to the Mid-section posts...

Edited by Jaltrooper

So, after test-fitting (with some help from my pal Benton), I decided I need to trim the sides of my mid-section / posterior.

I evenly distributed the trim making sure I did the exact trim on both sides to insure I had a level / even fit when attaching the abs. It should be noted that I did all my trimming from the Kidney / Posterior, rather than doing any  trimming on the front. 

20170204_224235_zpsu7bafvnp.jpg

Used my little "seam marker" to insure the exact trim on both sides (that thing has been worth every penny!! Highly suggest you get one!!!). Then I used my tin snips and cut right to the outside of the line, cleaned / leveled the edges. After cutting the kidney, I did a last inute test fit before cutting the posterior to insure it looked how I wanted it...

20170205_185116_zpszk0gomwi.jpg

liked how everything looks...so finished the posterior trim. 

Then, 

20170205_193453_zpstjvyfqik.jpg

Double checked my alignment . centering of both pieces...then installed the 3 brackets top and bottom. Installed the kidney with the elastic, then a little trick I did, installed all 3 posterior brackets, with the left screw only lightly tightened, turned them up, then simply "rotated" the posterior brackets (right to left) and they went right in. I carefully installed the 3 remaining screws then tightened the left side to the lock nut catch(do NOT over-tighten).

Installed (have to re-do with the support brackets...)

20170205_204648_zps1f0izx3u.jpg

20170205_204652_zps79yc8nfr.jpg

20170205_204705_zpsqicokejt.jpg

So, I did my marks for all the holes.

I trimmed off about 2.5 - 3 cm and rounded off the cod. Then found the center, and measured up 2 cm (20 mm) and marked it for the 5/32" hole to be drilled.

20170206_202616_zps5nvxnoox.jpg

Then, found the center of the posterior...and measured up 15mm from the edge, then 35 mm...and made my marks. Again for 2 5/32" holes. I made certain it was centered...this pic looks off...

20170206_202621_zpshxvzsife.jpg

LEFT SIDE OF AB / if in armor...

Then, measured the Ab & kidney...10mm from the "seam" and from the top, down 20mm - 80mm - 140mm (this gave me an "even spacing" on the Kidney...then duplicated the measurements on the other side. Before I drill these, I will use a level to insure the are exact.

20170206_203922_zpsb1uvbru3.jpg

20170206_204550_zpskwsvn9co.jpg

RIGHT SIDE OF THE AB / if in the ARMOR

On the right side at the top, I measured in 20mm from the Kidney Side, the down 20mm from the top.I drilled the 5/32" hole, then "counter sunk" the outside of the hole a bit.

20170206_205405_zpsoegohjua.jpg

I then installed a male Tandy Line 24 snap in this hole, with the male part facing the body / interior of the armor...

20170206_205417_zpso4qeraqa.jpg

I'll post more pics of this later, forgot to take a couple. 

Anyway, I'll be drilling / installing mid-section sides to kidney, installing posterior snaps and cod rivet / male snap...installing ab to chest and finishing snap on right side. Gluing Ab plates to the ab...some trim work, shoulders and final attaching/ fitting of completed arm pieces. Then have to install my hard - hat liner, lenses, and do some helmet clean up...and...then...Final Thigh fit and assembly. Then this thing is done!!!

Almost at the finish line! Have a commitment to my fellow Garrison Members, and I aims to keeps it!!!!!!!!

Thanks all!

Jon

• Like 1

Hahaha...working hard to get there Chris.

I will have to pack up my mid-section and straps and tools and will work on it in my Hotel Thursday Night...then should have it done Friday Night / Saturday a.m.

Talk about cutting it close! Haha!

P.S. I am thinking the velcro is the way to go on the shins...while I know the elastic / hooks are accurate, it is a challenge getting them off, and I don;t want to be flexing the shins more than needed.

• Like 1

Or if you're brave, you could go with magnets to close your shins.   :)  They're like magic to close, and they stay locked.  Easy to take off, too.

Edited by Cricket

Or if you're brave, you could go with magnets to close your shins. :) They're like magic to close, and they stay locked. Easy to take off, too.

Do you have a how to on using magnets on the shins?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sol

Do you have a how to on using magnets on the shins?

Kind of.  Everyone has their own method, but here is what I did:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/?p=523187

Later I decided to ditch using the "steel strip-magnet" combo and use a magnet-to-magnet combo instead.  Magnet-to-magnet closures work amazingly well.  Very strong.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/?p=528732

I made a short video showing how they close and lock.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/?p=531871

• Like 1

Ok, so, again...the best laid plans of mice and men...

Tried my best to get done...but made a small mistake. In reading one of the tutorials / how to's...I made a critical mistake. I saw where the "measurement of the Thigh ammo pack should be..." not taking into account this was for an Anovos TK...I cut it to that measurement...it does not fit the AM Thigh. Note to newbies...not all measurements are the same...best to do your own fitting and use tutorial #'s a a "guide"...not the law. 

Anyway. sorry for being absent recently, I was feverishly working to try to make our Garrison's troop for the Autism Society of Alabama at the "World of Wheels" convention...but alas. I went down and helped all I could Saturday, but was delayed for personal reasons yesterday. Still go to hang out with some of the great folks of the AG...and hopefully helped quite a bit.

Back to the build:

20170209_203016_zpsrtckgji0.jpg

Attached the biceps to the forearms with 2" black elastic. Left a 1/4" - 1/2" gap and fitted first. I started with the Bicep, putting the elastic parallel to the "inner strip" (covering the strip)...then did a fitment on the forearm, traced the forearm mounting location with a pencil and then applied that last. Clamped the ends and used magnets inside for the cure.

20170209_203024_zpsgceahmor.jpg

Time for the Ab-to-Kidney connection install:

I wanted to insure I had a good / solid fit. so I used a piece of 2" x 5 1/2" long Nylon Webbing, and made a 1 piece attachment. Prior to doing this, I had added a support (to both sides) for the ab and Kidney armor, Cutting a piece to glue inside at this install area.

I then took the measurements I made for the rivets, and essentially marked the middle of the webbing @ 1" (2" webbing) and them repeated the marks from the Ab & Kidney rivet holes onto the webbing, using the center as the "edge" and marking which side was the top.

20170210_204055_zpspftydral.jpg

20170210_205329_zpsj6dbybvy.jpg

Funny story...I went to the Tandy store locally, and bought a $14.00 leather punch which had several sizes, including the 5/32" I needed. I removed it from the box, put the right size (again, 5/32) on, and set it down.I got it for this application, and the belt & holster. Time to use it...it grew legs and walked off...I have NO idea where it went. So, I just used my soldering iron. Turns out, the holes were the perfect 5/32" size, and I had the extra-added benefit of having the holes "sealed" with the heat to avoid future fraying. Not that I recommend over the punch, but heck...2 birds with one stone!

Did a check-fit, then proceeded to install.

20170210_211157_zpsucphu2lt.jpg

20170210_212218_zpsw4n4gfvq.jpg

20170210_212222_zpssnwa1sbb.jpg

Thanks to Joseph (justjoseph63) on the forums, I had the accurate rivets needed. Relatively easy to install, I put the rivet in, then taped the back of it with painter's tape to hold it in place, used the "flat side" of my snap anvil, then added the washer. To install, I used a thinner screwdriver, lined it up where it transitioned from the screwhead to the round part...slightly thicker than the rivet's gap, then gave it a "starter hit" (about 1/2 the pressure), then moved it to the thicker part of the screwdriver's shaft, hit again to spread it out more, then flattened all the way to the washer with the hammer. 

I did have a Micro-fiber towel under the back to avoid scratches on the armor (over the anvil). I would suggest doing this part of the install prior to installing the chest piece...lookee here...tight gap! Haha.

20170210_212257_zps4arau16t.jpg

20170210_213242_zpsqsenkggw.jpg

One side done...repeated on the other side - installed. Will post a pic of the minimal gap...think I'll be good for Centurion...it is about 1/8' to under 1/8" using this install. 

Another thing about Joseph's rivets...before I go the install right...I messed one up...he had some spares (2) in the pack...so, grateful for his insight to include a couple of "whoops" rivets. Highly recommend the rivet set from him.                                  d

Anyway...

So I have completed the thighs, the belt, the shoulder straps...I plasti-dipped my helmet, just need to do some touch up and lens / frown mesh install and I am, basically done, short the Thigh Ammo belt (VERY mad over that)...I'll get one asap.

Sorry for the delay posting. I have several more pictures and will show all the remaining build soon as I get the time. I was working to get the armor done, so I have neglected my thread a little...:)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Happy Monday everyone!

Too bad about the thigh ammo Jon.  Have you been able to get a replacement?  If you are not able to get another AM piece then Mark at AP may still have some of his available: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36140-ap-replacement-parts/

Other than this it looks like your build has been going well.  And you have been doing quite good with updating the thread here too.  I gave up very quickly on trying to photograph and document my own build last year.  Always impressed now by people like you who manage to document the build as well as actually complete it.

• Like 1

Haha! Thanks Chris.

Yes, I actually have one one the way from AM...I had a shipping confirmation # about 1 hour after sending the Pay Pal. Was pretty quick. 

Been working out of town this week, but will get some more pics and build info in. Frankly, I am all but done once I get some helmet details completed, glue / attach my shoulder straps to the back plate, then do some minor fitting adjustments...then I'll be posting some suited up pics...and it's on to approval!

• Like 1

Hi All!

Well, I did the fitting this evening...still have some detail work to do...but, man...is it fun to suit up!!!

Full disclaimer...I still have a lot of things to do...and the helmet isn't my AM...still finishing the details on that. Got my new thigh ammo belt from AM today, so I am getting that on this evening. Mounting the holster this evening as well. But I am pretty happy with the fit so far. I just need to lower the thighs (easily done with the Pencap510 garter system)...and do some other comfort and convenience adjustments. But, I am pretty happy with how this build is really coming together...so...here it is so far.

20170216_181303_zpssqerayoz.jpg

Action Shot:

20170216_181319_zpscoyx9mv5.jpg

My ugly mug (kid on Christmas morning look!!!!!)

20170216_181730_zpsgvggl9hl.jpg

White MOOOOON!!!

20170216_181310_zpsjcb29iea.jpg

You can see that lowering the thighs about 2 inches...boom...perfect fit!

Gotta get those gloves tucked in! Haha.

Anyway, I have my build pics on the belt, the thighs and straps, etc...I'll get those in for everyone to complete the build thread. 

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me! This is a great amount of fun, and I am truly looking forward to getting out there and trooping with my Garrison soon!

Have a few ideas about how to improve the fit and finish without much major work...need to sand a few places and bend / hot bath others...but overall I am really pleased with how the AM armor fit my 6'2" frame from the height perspective. being skinny, I did have to trim a bit...but it was worth it!

Enjoy!