Jaltrooper's ANH Stunt "Tall Guy / Newbie" AM 2.0 Build

Hi Fellow Troopers!
In an effort to try to give back all that has been given to me by the group, I felt like I would go ahead and start my "ANH Stunt" build early, with the prep I have done. My thought is there may be another member, who wants to see an AM 2.0 build from the ground up, for a 6'2 / trim trooper. My other hope is that my obsessive need to research and be prepared for "BBB" day and the collection of items I have either already obtained, or have on the way, will help as well.
I'll try to make it fun and give some of the contacts for items I used (no claim or representation is made for the, well, you get the picture!!) even will include a nice pic of the workbench I built for $250 to get ready. Here it is:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii618/bigjal1969/Mobile%20Uploads/20161203_013258_zpsfvrjiigc.jpg'>http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii618/bigjal1969/Mobile%20Uploads/20161203_013258_zpsfvrjiigc.jpg</a><br><br>

In "Pinterest" I searched "6 foot Workbench" took the included cut sheet to Home Depot, and voila. Add a $30 l.e.d. under counter light and a defiant plug strip and boom, done. As a side note, I used 1/2 birch (hardwood) plywood for the top. Good, solid platform on which to build my armor when it arrives.
Anyway, I am looking forward to posting a few little "prep" tips, but wanted to go ahead and get my thread started so I can ask questions and elicit help as well in hopes that anyone needing a similar build will get the info in one place.

Can't wait!!! Stay tuned! 

Till next time,

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 2

Perfectly organized bench, Jon!  Looks like you are well on your way to a great build.  What happened with the PB tutorial I sent you, LOL?  Your post should have the photo in it, like this:

20161203_013258_zpstznvz2ac.jpg

If you are still having trouble, PM me.

Hi! And Welcome!

While I am still learning how to "attach forum topics"...I'd suggest going to the "Getting Started - Read this first" main forum topic and the go into the post "types of armor and where to find them" it is pinned at the top or close to the top...here is an attempt to attach the link.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

If you are tall, like me, I would be happy to discuss the decisions I made and why, based on my body type. You will see in the thread there are 2 manufacturers that make armor for taller troopers. Your body style has some to do with it as well. I went with the AM 2.0 Armor due to my height / slim build.

Hope this helps! Feel free to p.m. me and I'll be happy to discuss particulars that I found.

Please also keep in mind that I am new, also...and I would do as much research as you can, and listen to the veteran members in here. They are great folks and they help without pause. I sent you a p.m. with the info to get in touch with AM.

Good luck & keep in touch!

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 1

Preparation Post:

So, the first thing I wanted to clarify is that I am a newbie. As such, the best possible piece of advice I could give would be to use this forum, ask questions and read as much as you can. I say that because there are veterans and experts on in this group who have not only done this for years, but they have done everything we newbies are trying to accomplish 10x over. So, above and beyond the dremels and workbenches, this is the #1 thing I would tell anyone trying to be a Stormtrooper, accurately, so you can enjoy this great hobby and charity work. Read topics of interest and specific to you, ask questions and then read some more. 

Having said that...here is some of the main items I have picked up:

1. NEVER buy armor from e-bay...ask here 1st. Price isn't everything, and believe me, my obsession with being organized for this has shown me that one mistake on ordering the wrong armor, for, say, $250 cheaper, will lead to over $400+ in materials to fix it and make it what you are here for in the first place...movie accurate, approved and troopable armor. 

2. You will be waiting for a decent set of armor. While you may be able to find used armor in the "For Sale" section from a member (only place I would consider buying assembled armor), remember that it isn't just the armor, it is how it fits you, in particular. It could be the best possible set of armor out there...but if there are gaps where there are not supposed to be, then there may be some issues with approval. from what I have read.

3. Don't rush. Take your time. Impatience leads to foul ups, foul ups lead to more money spent, more money spent leads to...you get the picture.

4. Use the wait time to accumulate all the parts and tools you need. There is an awesome thread on what you will need to have to get ready...posted here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/read this...it is great stuff!

5. The other thing I could say (could probably keep going, but do not want to bore anyone) is that you can decide what build you want to do, then go into the specific forum Topic, and read for days. There are tips, tricks, money saving items, all kinds of things that will help you. As an example, I have watched (and read) quite a few of everyone's ANH Stunt builds, and see numerous items that are going to save me time, effort, frustration and money...use the experience and the knowledge from the experts...I promise, it will make some of the confusion go away quickly.

One last tip for this week is, use coupons wherever you can find them. JoAnn's Fabrics, Michael's, Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight (why buy a $70 dremel when you can get one for $20...right?), Hobby Lobby, and even your local hobby shop. I can promise you...coupons (and Harbor Freight, frankly) have saved me over $300 in prep items. Best $ tip I have so far!!!

I really hope this helps someone! 2-3 weeks away from the BBB day!!! Stay tuned!!

Best Wishes!

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper

My ANH Stunt build prep List and where I found them:

Workbench...mentioned above - Pinterest 6' workbench

Armor - AM 2.0 - decision made based on being 6'2 & trim. ***Read and study this one. Important to know what your specific needs are***

Things not included for a Centurion Build and where I found them:

Centurion Rivet Set - JustJoseph / forums - everything you need to have the correct rivets and items for a Centurion build. 
Latex Hand Guards - JustJoseph / forums

Neck Seal and Holster - Darman / forums - (you will see these two items in a majority of the builds...so trust the expert's opinions)

E-11 Blastech resin Blaster - Slavefive / forums (hyperfirm b-grade, add a d-ring for basic approval and have to do some work, for Centurion. Read the E-11 thread and the blaster CRL (regulations) before you decide which style you want to buy)

Humbrol Paints - E-bay- went with Humbrol because this was what was used in the original movies / armor - got mine from a "Third Rock Hobbies" - good shipping time and cost

Centurion Braket Set - Mr. Nostripes / forum (same as above - a lot of folks have this set)

Dremel - went with the actual 4000 series dremel...due to easy change chuck and variable speed - Lowe's $69 on sale and had $10 off coupon.

Husky gloves - Home Depot- mechanic's style for comfort, grip and protection and a $12 cut-resistant as well.

Needle File Set (Nicholson) Home depot - go cheap on needle files and you get what u pay for. Also got the Nicholson std. Rounded hand file and a mid-size round file.

Tin Snips - HDX / Home Depot - Christmas sale $9.99 (get the 3 snip set, straight, right turn, left turn - makes cutting / trimming curves easier.)

Lexan / Heavy duty scissors - Dremel bits - 150 grit sanding drum and various cutting bits. You need the one that looks like a drill bit...and I got some diamond tipped carving bits. Bought at the local Hobby Shop with a coupon.

Hobby Lobby - had a 25% off coupon so I got exacto knife (#2), spare blades,a self--healing cutting mat, 2 tubes of E-6000, and some quality detail brushes (one small round tip and a 00 pin striping brush). The coupon saved me several dollars.
Jo-Ann's- 10% off coupon. Bought all my elastic for my build (made a total list of all I need and bought by the yard...easiest way), bra hooks for my shins and some white and black thread. I also got a 10" and 5" "plaque" wood base and a hobby dowel to make myself a helmet stand to keep my helmet while drying, etc. ***Elastic Needed - Black - 1" - 1 yard (29") / 2" - 74" (2 1/2 yards) / 3" - 1 1/2 yards (34") ---- White - 1" - 2 yards (56") / 2" HEAVY DUTY - 1 Yard (14") ------ I added 2" to all measurements for snap or sewing tolerances

Amazon - Zap-A-Gap and Zip-kicker glue accelerant. (Will use this only in a few spots where I have confidence) most recommend the e-6000 for a 1st build.
Ordered my boots from TK boots - www.tkboots.com - Since I am doing Centurion, I bought the "Discounted / less than perfect" pair - only a $4 savings, but a savings nonetheless.

I bought a used Aker amp while I do the helmet build used on the forums. I will be making my own hearing assist and hovi set up. 

Will not order my TKittell Canvas belt (forums - used by many due to the plastic insert and it's not bunching up / ease of use) until I fit my armor mid-section for and accurate fit.

I am still deciding where to get my Aluminum Detonator clips. (any help would be appreciated on where to find a good pair)

This is where I am so far. 2-3 weeks away from my BBB day, so I am getting close!

More to come!

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 1

Still in "wait on BBB" mode. But I assure you, it's getting closer.
BTW..."trimming" I had a utility blade already, but I did get some carbide-tipped blades for it. Scoring and snapping parts will require the utility knife and some good blades...so be sure you have plenty! 

Thanks for the reminder Pencap!

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 1

Great! Thanks guys! 

Happy Rouge One Day to everyone! Looking forward to my first troop "handling" this evening! Bringing drinks and my stunning personality to the event! I get to meet my fellow Alabama Garrison Members and see their builds and costumes and start to learn about the participation side of trooping. Really looking forward to it! 

In the meantime, here is a picture of the elastic I purchased with my 20% off coupon from Jo Ann's. 

20161215_204237_zps9nzbqe5p.jpg

Just that easy...going to pre-make my centurion "bra hook" shin strips and have them ready to go! will get some pics when I do them.

Enjoy the Movie all!!!

Jon

P.S. Thought I would add one item regarding my E-11 and a couple of pics too. 

I decided to go ahead and have my blaster here so I could work / mod it while I wait on the BBB day. I got the "Hyperfirm" E-11 (purchased from slavefive / forums) and am happy with what looks to be a very durable piece!

Here is the blaster and the mods I plan,

Attach CRL sized D-Ring

replace all "resin" screws with real screws

scope work - drill / dremel out and replace end caps with realistic scope reticles and details20161208_060127_zpsla5esiq2.jpg20161208_060048_zpsb1ncawu4.jpg - add "depth" to holes and grip

20161208_060154_zpsgizdoknl.jpg

ejection port - install aluminum piece cut to fit with "strip" and small area for accuracy.

add "depth" to areas where it needs it over entire rifle

drill out muzzle and deepen "holes" (need to research this more)

attach wires to "counter to power cylinders" for accuracy

add numbers / window and detail to the Hengstler Counter

add "spring effect" into the rear bolt chamber for a realistic appearance (have a great idea...more to come on that)

Fully re-paint and re-weather blaster.

I am going to do all I can to have it fully detailed, but be sure to maintain the structural integrity. 

Should be a LOT of fun! I know this isn;t my "armor build" but I wanted to show what I am doing while waiting on my BBB...

Edited by Jaltrooper

You (or someone else) mounted the Bayonet lug the wrong way around on the E-11 apparently.

But you are not the first one where i noticed it.. (pipe builds or...) period of copying other's i guess.

Don't let it be a biggie.. unless.

What's a bayonet lug ?

It's the 3th hole where the bayonet handle attaches to. ''the part that sticks out''

Perhaps in the SW universe it's forgiven, but i don't know... just pointing it out....

I do like your adjustments on it, it looks good.

If any questions, you can ask.

Edited by Tr00per

Thanks Trooper.

That is a "Hyperfirm" cast, and looking at the pictures, I think it'll be right for the purpose of a E-11 build. If anyone knows differently, or if I need to make an adjustment, I'll take that up in the E-11 threads.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks Trooper.

That is a "Hyperfirm" cast, and looking at the pictures, I think it'll be right for the purpose of a E-11 build. If anyone knows differently, or if I need to make an adjustment, I'll take that up in the E-11 threads.

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper

Ok all, 

Enjoyed meeting all of my Alabama Garrison folks last evening at the McWane IMAX troop. Nothing like meeting other great Star Wars fans and getting to see the movie with fans like myself! It was great fun and it was a HUGE benefit to see everyone's armor and how they did their builds. If you are a newbie like I am, I HIGHLY suggest getting with your local garrison and doing some "handling" to see the armor and meet some great, like-minded folks as well. I had a ball, and enjoyed the movie!

On top of that, I received an e-mail from Troopergear...and it looks like I will have the armor shipped in the next 10 days...so BBB day is getting oh so close!!! Better get ready!!!

On to my build. 

So this morning, I decided to keep my wife's sewing machine out, and get my Centurion shin Elastic / bra hook attachments done. 

I started with (6) 1" white knit elastic pieces cut into 4" strips. I took a lighter to each cut end to "braise" the fabric and eliminate any future fraying.

20161215_071349_zpsf8q2qfbd.jpg

I then used the Sewing machine and sewed 3 stiches at 1/2" folded:

20161215_083603_zpsp9bv1rt8.jpg

Not the prettiest stitches, but I am learning and learning fast! Once that was done on all 6, I took a #2 bra hook, and bent it out to about a 45 degree angle, then I hand-sewed the bra hook to where the hook was centered up in the middle of the folded-over end, with the rear bend of the hook right at the edge of the bend / end of the piece of elastic.

20161215_083458_zpstmnewpsx.jpg

I made sure that I was very liberal with the stitches and the thread. After last evening, I can see that the aesthetics and the durability are both extremely important. So I was sure to make these a strong sew. I'll dab a little Loctite vinyl, fabric and plastic "flexible" (need to keep the flexibility) adhesive on the sew (front and back) to lock it down.

Anyway. I'll re-visit when it is shin assembly time, but I figured it was a good time to do my prep on the elastic items I have to fabricate anyway. With the exception of the items I have to "fit" real time with the armor. I can still get some of this stuff pre-done while waiting. It also keeps me watching and learning on the boards, and making sure I have everything in order for a good build! 

I am thrilled that I am not that far away from my armor landing on the front porch. should be a LOT of fun! 

Hope everyone enjoys the movie and the weekend!

More to Come!

Jon

Wanted to add a tip I did withe the "bra hooks" to keep them in place.

Dab the bottom of the hook (where you sew) in a small bit of this:

20161215_085832_zpsccmoudoz.jpg

set the hook in the middle of the 1/2" folded piece, with the "bend" at the edge, set it to the side. By the time you are done sewing another piece, it should be set for you to sew. The adhesive is both flexible and easy to sew through. This makes "getting it centered" easier and starting your sew easier as well.

Hope this helps!

Well, after a long day of handling a Sales Team, you get tired. 

Came home, wait, box on porch? Too small to be THE BBB...but..........20161219_192524_zpsek3c2oah.jpg

BAM!!!!

New TK Boots!

As you can see, included are 2 shoe horns (1 regular, 1 long), 2 shoe bags, and some "swag" a patch and a sticker. Nice job on the "care and handling of" instructions too!

For my fellow newbies, I have read enough to be aware that you need your boots to properly fit the shins, etc...so here they are. Since I am going for a Centurion build, I did get the "less than perfect" as I am going to do some light weathering anyway. Saved $5...but $5 is $5, right?

Really like the boots, good quality leather, they fit great...and now, back nicely packed in the box they go, wrap them up...to Daddy for Christmas (from the 9 year old)...haha.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Was really bummed to hear of the passing of Carrie Fisher yesterday. It is almost like an Aunt passing considering...tragic and depressing. 

However, 

I received an e-mail that my armor is packed, and it is shipping within the next day or 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting close to getting this build thread going with ACTUAL armor building! May keep my rambling on down to a minimum! 

My Plan of attack is to start on the Bucket, then go from the shins, up the armor. I am fabricating a "fitting dummy" to my exact height measurements, as I figured that can help me make certain I am covering my "gaps" correctly. I plan on doing most of my research on the "self-fitting" of my armor ove the next few days. 

Was really bummed to hear of the passing of Carrie Fisher yesterday. It is almost like an Aunt passing considering...tragic and depressing. 

However, 

I received an e-mail that my armor is packed, and it is shipping within the next day or 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting close to getting this build thread going with ACTUAL armor building! May keep my rambling on down to a minimum! 

My Plan of attack is to start on the Bucket, then go from the shins, up the armor. I am fabricating a "fitting dummy" to my exact height measurements, as I figured that can help me make certain I am covering my "gaps" correctly. I plan on doing most of my research on the "self-fitting" of my armor over the next few days. 

Edited by Jaltrooper