agordon117

First time TK builder from Ohio

Hi everyone, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I'm a new guy putting my Anovos kit together in time for Rogue One.  This is not my first attempt at armor, and thankfully, it's MUCH simpler than what I did before (full pepakura).  

cfbab6f8-b1ff-4e93-8510-289eef9cebe9_zps

received_10206517044299296_zpsnnmw7vwf.j

Anyway, I'm hoping to make my armor full Centurion status by the time the movie releases (possibly with the exception of the belt, I can't recall if the extra holster rivets disqualify me from centurion status at the moment), but I ran into a snag.  

received_10157926825095094_zpsjtxmwzmm.j

received_10157926825025094_zpsqcmgky50.j

I've been needing some extra motivation to get back to my usual workout routine anyway, but since I waited so long to start researching everything, I'm gonna have to work REALLY hard to close that gap in 15 days.  It's gonna be close, but I'm confident I can do it, especially since I've been able to do it before.  

I do have a couple of non-weight related fitment issues with the armor.  First, the thighs seem too long.  I'm 5'10", and do not have abnormally short thighs.  But the thigh armor in the kit is so long that I won't be able to bend my thigh more than 30 degrees.  Is that normal?  I've been looking around at some of the other builds, and it does seem like the thigh armor hits very low (right on the knee) for everyone, but I don't see how that makes any sense unless the original armor was designed for someone much taller.  Also, and I know this is one of the main issues with the TK in general, the helmet does not seem to have much room for me to "shake my head yes" once it's on.  Is there really that little room between the bottom of the helmet and the top of the chest armor, or is that just me having a short neck?  

Next, are there any areas on the armor that I can't remove the "return" on the plates without giving up centurion status?  I know I have to remove the returns on the front of the forearms, but will it count against me if I also remove the returns on the bottom of the thighs to give me a little more wiggle room?  

Finally, how do I go about finding which Garrison I should apply to?  When I looked through the forum, I wasn't really able to find a logical way to sort through the garrisons, so I figured I'd ask.  

Thanks!

-Alex Gordon

EDIT:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I have a full light and sound demilled sterling.  

20140304_180917_zpsl6ee3hrl.jpg

20140304_180609_zpsckibzf3o.jpg

20140304_180545_zpsybaocm0j.jpg

Edited by agordon117
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I'm a new guy putting my Anovos kit together in time for Rogue One.  This is not my first attempt at armor, and thankfully, it's MUCH simpler than what I did before (full pepakura).  

cfbab6f8-b1ff-4e93-8510-289eef9cebe9_zps

Anyway, I'm hoping to make my armor full Centurion status by the time the movie releases (possibly with the exception of the belt, I can't recall if the extra holster rivets disqualify me from centurion status at the moment), but I ran into a snag.  

received_10157926825095094_zpsjtxmwzmm.j

received_10157926825025094_zpsqcmgky50.j

I've been needing some extra motivation to get back to my usual workout routine anyway, but since I waited so long to start researching everything, I'm gonna have to work REALLY hard to close that gap in 15 days.  It's gonna be close, but I'm confident I can do it, especially since I've been able to do it before.  

I do have a couple of non-weight related fitment issues with the armor.  First, the thighs seem too long.  I'm 5'10", and do not have abnormally short thighs.  But the thigh armor in the kit is so long that I won't be able to bend my thigh more than 30 degrees.  Is that normal?  I've been looking around at some of the other builds, and it does seem like the thigh armor hits very low (right on the knee) for everyone, but I don't see how that makes any sense unless the original armor was designed for someone much taller.  Also, and I know this is one of the main issues with the TK in general, the helmet does not seem to have much room for me to "shake my head yes" once it's on.  Is there really that little room between the bottom of the helmet and the top of the chest armor, or is that just me having a short neck?  

Next, are there any areas on the armor that I can't remove the "return" on the plates without giving up centurion status?  I know I have to remove the returns on the front of the forearms, but will it count against me if I also remove the returns on the bottom of the thighs to give me a little more wiggle room?  

Finally, how do I go about finding which Garrison I should apply to?  When I looked through the forum, I wasn't really able to find a logical way to sort through the garrisons, so I figured I'd ask.  

Thanks!

-Alex Gordon

Alex,

Welcome to FISD.  

Really love your enthusiasm.  However, getting to Centurion status by 12/15/16 most likely is not possible.  There are multiple reviews that must occur prior to that.  First, you will have to submit to your GML to gain initial approval, then you will have to submit for EIB and gain that approval.  Finally, you will submit for Centurion status.  All of these reviews are performed by volunteers and they take time.  Typical review time for EIB is 2 weeks.

To answer some of your questions, in regards to the gaps on the left and right between your ab plate and kidney plate, you can use shims.  If you are going for Centurion, you will need to ensure it is flush and installed on your kidney plate.  Alot of us have this issue, including me.

If your thigh armor is too long, trim it from the top.  This is what I have had to do, being 5'9".  You need to be able to walk and not have your calf armor hit your thigh armor.

Some helmets have tight fits.  I struggle to get mine own and with all of the electronics in it, it is very tight.  The only part of my helmet that typically hits the armor is the front.  The sides and rear of your helmet should not be touching your armor.

Not sure about the returns.  I am just now getting ready to apply for my Heavy Weapons Trooper Centurion Status.  I did have to remove it from my forearms, biceps, and shoulder bells.  Typically, people keep it on all of the armor on the torso.  Someone with Centurion status would be best suited to answer this question.

In reference to Garrisons, click on the link below:

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.  The best way to get answers fast will be to post a build thread in the ANH TK Stunt section (if this is what you are building) and you can post questions in there.  Most likely, someone has already asked the question and the answer is in the forum.

Good Luck.

Alex,

Welcome to FISD.  

Really love your enthusiasm.  However, getting to Centurion status by 12/15/16 most likely is not possible.  There are multiple reviews that must occur prior to that.  First, you will have to submit to your GML to gain initial approval, then you will have to submit for EIB and gain that approval.  Finally, you will submit for Centurion status.  All of these reviews are performed by volunteers and they take time.  Typical review time for EIB is 2 weeks.

To answer some of your questions, in regards to the gaps on the left and right between your ab plate and kidney plate, you can use shims.  If you are going for Centurion, you will need to ensure it is flush and installed on your kidney plate.  Alot of us have this issue, including me.

If your thigh armor is too long, trim it from the top.  This is what I have had to do, being 5'9".  You need to be able to walk and not have your calf armor hit your thigh armor.

Some helmets have tight fits.  I struggle to get mine own and with all of the electronics in it, it is very tight.  The only part of my helmet that typically hits the armor is the front.  The sides and rear of your helmet should not be touching your armor.

Not sure about the returns.  I am just now getting ready to apply for my Heavy Weapons Trooper Centurion Status.  I did have to remove it from my forearms, biceps, and shoulder bells.  Typically, people keep it on all of the armor on the torso.  Someone with Centurion status would be best suited to answer this question.

In reference to Garrisons, click on the link below:

http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.  The best way to get answers fast will be to post a build thread in the ANH TK Stunt section (if this is what you are building) and you can post questions in there.  Most likely, someone has already asked the question and the answer is in the forum.

Good Luck.

I should have mentioned, I realize being "approved" for centurion status might take some time, but that doesn't have to mean my armor isn't up to centurion specs by then.  If I do all of the work for it now, there's nothing left to do but suit up, take pictures, and go through the approval process, however long it takes.  

I'm wondering how much trimming I can do from the top of the thigh armor.  I don't want to do anything that disqualifies me from centurion status, which is why I'm asking about this now rather than trimming until it fits like I did with my pepakura armor.  

It does sound like my helmet is fitting correctly, that's the only place it really hits.  

I'll probably throw together a build thread tonight or tomorrow, not much to see at this point, just a bunch of trimmed armor that's in the sanding process.  

Love that blaster.  Where can I get one.

In regards to the Thigh Armor, I have short stocky thighs (quads), so I had to cut a couple of inches down.  Just hold the correct shape and it should not be an issue.  Afterall, the armor needs to be comfortable.

Love that blaster.  Where can I get one.

In regards to the Thigh Armor, I have short stocky thighs (quads), so I had to cut a couple of inches down.  Just hold the correct shape and it should not be an issue.  Afterall, the armor needs to be comfortable.

Appreciate it.  I have built 3 of them to date.  

Mine is the one with the screen.  Skip to 8:58 for the lighting effects.  Counter leds are not visible when turned off, there is a double layer of mylar behind the counter lens.  Fully loaded with select fire, magazine detection, etc etc etc.  

I can trim the thighs down like that, I just want to be 100% sure it doesn't disqualify me before I start cutting.  Is there any way to find out for sure?  

Removal of the top two belt rivets is required even for basic approval. If you are building with an eye toward Centurion, then you really ought to replace the belt outright. Rob Kittell (http://www.imperialissue.com) is the go-to guy for replacement belts - he has sold hundreds of them, especially in light of the Anovos kit and how shoddy the belts are.

As for the proportions, the actors that appeared on screen in the 1970s and 1980s were approximately 5'9", weighed in the neighborhood of 150-160lbs, and were (by today's standards) thinly built. That's what your Anovos kit is optimized for. Can larger guys (and gals) make it work? Absolutely - my recently-completed Anovos kit fits me and I'm 6'1", 220lbs. You just have to build it with your proportions in mind - which is why most experienced builders will say that you should refrain from purchasing a pre-built kit since every body is different.

So before doing any extra trimming other than taking off the return edges at the wrists and ankles (the absence of which is required for Centurion), get the entire kit together first (you can use a temporary strapping system) and see how it all looks, feels, and functions first. Put it on and go for a walk around the neighborhood with someone who knows what to look for (i.e. an experienced stormtrooper). Also, make sure you wear the proper undersuit since it will compress your skin and as a result give you more room to work with than if you are wearing street clothes. Only then should you consider trimming the tops of the thighs and other places, since once the plastic is taken off it is very difficult to put it back on. Don't expect to be able to do parkour in your armor or even be able to sit down, but you should at least be able to walk (somewhat) normally and climb/descend a flight of stairs.

Finally, since you say you are a first-time TK builder from Ohio, your garrison will be the Ohio Garrison: http://www.ohio501st.com. You will want to reach out to them ASAP.

P.S. - that is definitely a sweet blaster. Might become a bit heavy to actually troop with, but very nice nonetheless. :)

Something else I just noticed ... your kidney plate is on upside down. The notch goes towards the bottom.

Since you are on such a tight timeline, have you ordered and/or procured everything else you will need?

- Boots (REQUIRED)

- Latex handplates (REQUIRED FOR CENTURION)

- Replacement belt (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

- Replacement undersuit (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

- Black Nomex gloves (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

- Tools and supplies ... clamps, rare earth magnets, E6000, painters tape, etc.

If you are on Facebook, another good resource is the Anovos Stormtrooper Kit Builders Group. As a collective they are far less experienced builders (the majority are new builders although a fair number of them are also experienced FISD members) so as a group they don't have the depth of knowledge you will find here at FISD, but their response time in answering questions is usually faster.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/838545079553903/

Removal of the top two belt rivets is required even for basic approval. If you are building with an eye toward Centurion, then you really ought to replace the belt outright. Rob Kittell (http://www.imperialissue.com) is the go-to guy for replacement belts - he has sold hundreds of them, especially in light of the Anovos kit and how shoddy the belts are.

As for the proportions, the actors that appeared on screen in the 1970s and 1980s were approximately 5'9", weighed in the neighborhood of 150-160lbs, and were (by today's standards) thinly built. That's what your Anovos kit is optimized for. Can larger guys (and gals) make it work? Absolutely - my recently-completed Anovos kit fits me and I'm 6'1", 220lbs. You just have to build it with your proportions in mind - which is why most experienced builders will say that you should refrain from purchasing a pre-built kit since every body is different.

So before doing any trimming other than taking off the return edges at the wrists and ankles (the absence of which is required for Centurion), get the entire kit together first (you can use a temporary strapping system) and see how it all looks, feels, and functions first. Put it on and go for a walk around the neighborhood with someone who knows what to look for (i.e. an experienced stormtrooper). Also, make sure you wear the proper undersuit since it will compress your skin and as a result give you more room to work with than if you are wearing street clothes. Only then should you consider trimming the tops of the thighs and other places, since once the plastic is taken off it is very difficult to put it back on.

Finally, since you say you are a first-time TK builder from Ohio, your garrison will be the Ohio Garrison: http://www.ohio501st.com. You will want to reach out to them ASAP.

P.S. - that is definitely a sweet blaster. Might become a bit heavy to actually troop with, but very nice nonetheless. :)

Probably best to hold off on the belt until I am at "fighting weight" then.  

I get what you're saying about putting it all together, wearing it, and walking around, but that's too much to juggle this early in the process, and I really don't want to be worrying about tape letting go on thigh plates (or anything else) and them hitting the ground while I can't actually bend over.  As I mentioned before, luckily, this isn't my first set of armor, so I know which things I have to have on at which point before deciding on fitment modifications.  I also can't actually assemble the thighs before shortening them, or I won't be able to properly shorten the "seam plate"  when I do the shortening.  To hike the thighs up higher, I am for sure gonna have to trim the returns on the bottom of them, and even without calf armor, I can't bend my leg enough once the thigh is on before the back of my knee is hit by the armor.  I'm sure that trimming has to be done, it's more a matter of how much, and if the armor has to be as comfortable as I'm being told, then it's gonna be in excess of 1" off of the top.  

Something else I just noticed ... your kidney plate is on upside down. The notch goes towards the bottom.

Since you are on such a tight timeline, have you ordered and/or procured everything else you will need?

- Boots (REQUIRED)

- Latex handplates (REQUIRED FOR CENTURION)

- Replacement belt (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

- Replacement undersuit (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

- Black Nomex gloves (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

- Tools and supplies ... clamps, rare earth magnets, E6000, painters tape, etc.

If you are on Facebook, another good resource is the Anovos Stormtrooper Kit Builders Group. As a collective they are far less experienced builders (the majority are new builders although a fair number of them are also experienced FISD members) so as a group they don't have the depth of knowledge you will find here at FISD, but their response time in answering questions is usually faster.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/838545079553903/

The latex handplates are next on my order list , but it looks like I should wait until the new silicone version are available.  Even if I don't have them in time for the movie, I'll have them by the time I'd be able to apply for centurion status.  I was under the impression that the gloves in the Anovos kit were accurate (and that rubber was required for centurion status), as much as I hate that they look like cleaning gloves.  I do have boots, plenty of tools and supplies (everything but my magnets, which will be here tomorrow), but not a replacement undersuit, as I haven't seen any specific recommendations yet.   

You definitely don't want your strapping system to be taped together while wearing it during a troop. The tape (specifically blue painters' tape) is used during the initial fitting process, and once you have an idea where everything sits you replace it with actual strapping - for instance, snap plates glued inside the armor that mate with elastic straps. That way, you have the snap plates in place and if the strapping needs adjusting, you simply make a replacement strap (which takes about 60 seconds). It's a trial and error process, to be sure.

Yes, you can remove the return edge at the bottom of the thighs in order to give yourself more room to pull the thighs up - it won't affect approval at any level. Before shortening the thighs and/or the shins, however, if you are certain that your leg mobility will be affected to the point where you can't walk comfortably, a lot of troopers use a "scoop cut" in the back at the bottoms of the thighs and/or tops of the calves. Not only does it increase your ability to bend at the knee, it is 100% screen-accurate. I would try that first.

• Like 1

Oh, I can do that?  That's how I solved my issue with my pepakura build (since those thighs are actually supposed to have a large gap between the codpiece and the top of the thigh), but I didn't think I would be able to scoop cut the trooper kit.  Any idea where I'd be able to find reference material on that?  

EDIT:  I found the gallery, I must have had an issue accessing it before I was registered, because I know I tried earlier.  

Edited by agordon117

The Anovos-supplied rubber gloves are indeed accurate to Centurion - they just aren't very comfortable to wear. As a result, many troopers (including myself) have two sets of gloves - rubber gloves w latex handplates glued to them for occasions where total accuracy is desired (for instance when submitting for Centurion), and a set of nomex gloves with the Anovos-supplied plastic handplated strapped to them for day-to-day trooping where comfort and utility is the main driver.

As for a replacement undersuit, the reason we recommend ditching the Anovos-supplied undersuit is that once you sweat into it the dye will leach out of the undersuit and onto the armor - turning the inside of the armor (and possibly your skin) purple as a result. If you are looking for a replacement recommendation, UnderArmor HeatGear (or a cheap knockoff from Walmart, Target, etc.) will suffice, as long as there are no visible logos when wearing it with the armor.

Oh, I can do that?  That's how I solved my issue with my pepakura build (since those thighs are actually supposed to have a large gap between the codpiece and the top of the thigh), but I didn't think I would be able to scoop cut the trooper kit.  Any idea where I'd be able to find reference material on that?  

EDIT:  I found the gallery, I must have had an issue accessing it before I was registered, because I know I tried earlier.

Yep. In the Gallery look under "General Stormtrooper Reference → Promo pictures & others" and you will find examples of where the scoop cut was done to facilitate mobility.

• Like 1

So it looks like I'll have to stay half a centimeter below the lip, but that will help significantly.  It might not be enough by itself, but it will help reduce the amount of top trimming.  

I also do see the absence of an upper return on the thighs in the reference pictures, so I see I can get away with trimming pretty easily.  

Edited by agordon117

Yep. In the Gallery look under "General Stormtrooper Reference → Promo pictures & others" and you will find examples of where the scoop cut was done to facilitate mobility.

Great advice.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

looks like you are on track... just use the arms to get a feel for it and then tackle everything full force.

the most difficult part for you will be the shim on your side abs.

i'll keep an eye out, good luck.

Hopefully you can make it by the movie premiere.

Thanks.  I plan on changing my body to fit the armor, not the other way around (I needed a reason to shed a few pounds anyway).  I'll make it to the premier, this is an easy project for me, I just have to know the proper way to modify things that aren't fitting properly without ruining my shot at centurion status.  That's really my only concern, not doing something I can't go back from, and then being stuck without centurion status until I replace something.  

TK1636 has some great tutorials for the full build and modifications online on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeDunMes3e0wQn8_ns-ma4g/videos

He also walks you through dealing and making perfect shims on your torso

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard, good luck with the build

So, I can't have overlap between the kidney and back plate, but can I have a gap there? My shoulders hold the back plate up pretty high, which I estimate will leave a 1" gap between the back and kidney plate.

So, I can't have overlap between the kidney and back plate, but can I have a gap there? My shoulders hold the back plate up pretty high, which I estimate will leave a 1" gap between the back and kidney plate.

Yes, there should be a small gap between the back plate and kidney plate. There should be an approximately equal-sized gap between the kidney plate and butt plate. Basically you want to have the armor evenly distributed.

A full inch is too much - unless you are unusually tall your goal should be about a 1/2" inch gap or less between the back plate and kidney plate, and between the kidney plate and butt plate. If need be, you can use near-boiling water to soften up the tops of the back plate and bend them out a bit so that the back plate can sit a bit lower on your back, which is what many of us have done. If you are going to do that, however, be sure to trim down the return edges on those places in order to prevent cracking.

Well, between cutting the back relief on the bottom of the thigh (leaving enough material to match the screen used suits), and rotating the thighs slightly outward (I didn't realize they didn't sit exactly straight on), I only needed to remove about an inch of material to effectively double my range of motion.  Now my problem isn't the back of my knee being smacked by the thigh, but instead the top of the thigh poking my waist.  I suspect it's a combination of fitment, thigh height, and me not having worn TK armor before.  It was necessary to cut the material off of the top of the thigh though, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do stairs without hopping.  Got some cleanup to do on the thighs (my cuts were really good though).  I'll start grabbing pics and throw together a build log tomorrow.  

I really appreciate all of the answers, I know I can probably find most of them by searching, but my timeline is so tight that I didn't have time to do the appropriate research.  

Welcome to the White Zone!!

Looks like you are getting some great advice!!