It's all coming together now

Deadeye

I've been accumulating parts for my conversion of my TK to an HWT over the course of the last several weeks.  I recently received my third Hyperfirm in the form of this DLT-19.  I plan to mostly follow the ukswrath pack build so I found a really good deal on the oil drain pan and the Popit! containers.  Acting on justjoseph's advice, I bought my pouches and pauldron from eBay sources.  I actually have another pair of pouches on their way from the same seller so I can have two on my belt.  I also went directly to the source and got a new belt, ammo belt and shoulder bridges from AP so I can keep my TK belt intact.

I have a biker scout build in front of this one so I'll need to finish that up while I get the rest of the parts but I figured I'd post this here to ask for a recommendation.  Obviously my pouches aren't the right color yet.  Can anyone provide me with info on how they dyed their pouches?  I've heard spray paint works in a pinch but I'd prefer to dye them if possible.  What have people done that worked best.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Getting close, Kurt!  Those are the exact same pouches I ordered, and to get them black was pretty easy.  Instead of using dye (which I was afraid might bleed onto my armor from constant rubbing) I picked up 2 spray cans of plain black flat paint.  Nothing fancy, just the least expensive they had : ----------- and it has worked out great.  I masked off the leather straps on the front (AND back) and applied several light coats, letting it dry between each coat.  Dozens and dozens of troops later and no smudges.

Another thing you want to think about is finding something to fill out the actual pouches when complete, otherwise they look flat.  I used some strips of foam, 1 x 2 x 6 covered in black electrical tape.  Lightweight and effective.  If I can be of any help, just let me know!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Thanks for the links, Q.  I hadn't thought to look over there but that makes sense.  They deal with pouches much more frequently.  I may try that RIT dye in the second thread.  The results looked good and it didn't sound too complicated.

Joseph, I thought I read somewhere that you wished you hadn't spray painted them.  Maybe that was some else but as I remember it they were in a rush to get everything complete and decided to spray and weren't completely happy with the results.  I just spray painted a bunch of clothes green for son's Toy Story plastic army man Halloween costume and the end result was pretty crusty and splotchy.  Still, the pouches don't need to be as flexible so it seems like a viable option.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Nope, it definitely wasn't me that wished I didn't paint them.  I did it in multiple thin layers, and they aren't crusty at all!

• Like 1