TKTalkie V2.0 Released!

Teaser video then? I'll beta test haha. Trust me, I've been showing off my TKTalkie to all my garrison

Are you on iOS or Android?  I can send you a dev app once I'm done.  I didn't get any more time to work on it over the weekend  :angry: I'll be putting up a tutorial on the updates needed (hardware) to TKTalkie to get it all working.  I need to work on the interface for iOS.  Android is almost done.

Just finished my initial build. So far, so good :D

16804408_10154395638295875_2623261829459

I had two thoughts:

• Use one of the analogue pins for a dial to dynamically adjust mic or line in gain, in case the mic is picking up too much echo or background noise. This can be a problem with the iComm.
  • Use one of the digital pins to start or stop the background loop.

Maybe something that can be put into the next sketch? Just elect new pins like what the config has for the PTT pin.

Edited by TKSnake

Just finished my initial build. So far, so good :D

I had two thoughts:

• Use one of the analogue pins for a dial to dynamically adjust mic or line in gain, in case the mic is picking up too much echo or background noise. This can be a problem with the iComm.
  • Use one of the digital pins to start or stop the background loop.

Maybe something that can be put into the next sketch? Just elect new pins like what the config has for the PTT pin.

The beauty of this project is that you can do just that ;)

In the original specs/tutorial, you can install the thumbwheel volume pot.  You can use that to control whatever setting you want.  It's just a pot and not connected directly to volume or anything.

The next release will have a way to control these settings and more...stay tuned ;)

The beauty of this project is that you can do just that ;)

In the original specs/tutorial, you can install the thumbwheel volume pot.  You can use that to control whatever setting you want.  It's just a pot and not connected directly to volume or anything.

The next release will have a way to control these settings and more...stay tuned ;)

hqdefault.jpg

Excellent.

• Like 1

I had it wired up to the 5v but there was a ton of noise. Have to separate the fans and everything else. Worth trying one more time with this step down. If I blow another teensy I think I'll retire my efforts and stick with my icomm until someone else figures it out.

I just saw this on the PJRC.com site.  I wonder if this would have helped with the line noise issue.  Sorry, I know it's a little late ;) Glad you got it figured out, though.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/audio_ground_isolator.html

Edited by lerxstrulz

I had it wired up to the 5v but there was a ton of noise. Have to separate the fans and everything else. Worth trying one more time with this step down. If I blow another teensy I think I'll retire my efforts and stick with my icomm until someone else figures it out.

Have you tried a low-pass filter? It worked for me between my fans and hearing assist module.

https://obsidiustk.blogspot.com/2016/11/upgrade-bring-noise-hearing-assist-fan.html

I purchased drop-in speakers for a snowboarding helmet from ebay but got terrible feedback when I mounted them in my bucket since the HA mics were right behind them inside the ear caps so am using earphones for now. I bought some copper tape to try and insulate them but have not had time to mess with it since. I would rather not use headphones as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I purchased drop-in speakers for a snowboarding helmet from ebay but got terrible feedback when I mounted them in my bucket since the HA mics were right behind them inside the ear caps so am using earphones for now. I bought some copper tape to try and insulate them but have not had time to mess with it since. I would rather not use headphones as well.

I never had an issue with the headphone cables themselves, but I did have a terrible issue with the leads from the HA mics picking up a ton of RF noise from the wireless mic, hence the copper tape on the bracket that goes between those cables and the wireless mic.

I never had an issue with the headphone cables themselves, but I did have a terrible issue with the leads from the HA mics picking up a ton of RF noise from the wireless mic, hence the copper tape on the bracket that goes between those cables and the wireless mic.

I picked up some 4 conductor shielded audio cable from Frys and used that fornl the mic connections and that cured my interference problem from fans. Hopefull will get to work onbl the ear speakers soon.

• Like 1

I just picked up a Pyle 50w voice amp but now I am not getting anywhere near the volume when I hook it up to my harness compared to going straight to TKTalkie to Pyle. I guess I'll have to check all my solder joints because I'm using a mono line I have never used until now. I tried adjusting the line out settings but it didn't help. Only gets quiet when it's connected to my mono cable that's spliced into cat5 and back to a mono on the other end.

I just picked up a Pyle 50w voice amp but now I am not getting anywhere near the volume when I hook it up to my harness compared to going straight to TKTalkie to Pyle. I guess I'll have to check all my solder joints because I'm using a mono line I have never used until now. I tried adjusting the line out settings but it didn't help. Only gets quiet when it's connected to my mono cable that's spliced into cat5 and back to a mono on the other end.

Are you using stereo female jacks?  If so, check that you are wired to the left channel.  If you are using stereo and have wired only one side, put a jumper wire between the two channels on the female jack and that should take care of it.

I'm pretty sure they are stereo but I did put a jumper like your original tutorial showed how to from the start. I even added another one for lineout thinking maybe that was it. I reached out to ukswrath to see what he suggests first. Only thing I can think could possibly be it is a weak solder joint before or after the Cat5 to mono. It works fine when I bypass the harness and go straight from TKTalkie to the aux on the Pyle.

I'm pretty sure they are stereo but I did put a jumper like your original tutorial showed how to from the start. I even added another one for lineout thinking maybe that was it. I reached out to ukswrath to see what he suggests first. Only thing I can think could possibly be it is a weak solder joint before or after the Cat5 to mono. It works fine when I bypass the harness and go straight from TKTalkie to the aux on the Pyle.

Ok so you are going from TKTalkie -> Harness -> Pyle Pro?  Is the connection on your harness amplified?  The line-out is heavily attenuated.  Just for grins run from the headphones out to your harness and see if that helps.

Both line out and headphones have the same effect. It goes to a 3.5cable that is spliced into a JST cable that is spliced into cat5 and reversed on the other end.

ok well I'm not familiar with the setup.  Is there a wiring diagram? It sounds like signal loss probably from a bad connection as you suggested.