TKTalkie V2.0 Released!

And just like that I managed to pop another teensy. Going to have to order another one and figure out how to downstep 12v to 5v on the teensy. If not I'll just have to get a 18650 cell phone charger to power it. I'm still trying to maintain using my hovi speakers or I would have bought an anker speaker by now

And just like that I managed to pop another teensy. Going to have to order another one and figure out how to downstep 12v to 5v on the teensy. If not I'll just have to get a 18650 cell phone charger to power it. I'm still trying to maintain using my hovi speakers or I would have bought an anker speaker by now

Just a thought...how many amps is your 12V pushing?  I know you can take a USB car charger and take the guts out and use it to step down to 5V from 12V and it will handle about 1 amp.

I'm not sure. I use an Antigravity Micro-start XP-3 to supply my bracket with 5v and 12v. The fans run on the USB 5v 2.1a but the spec sheet doesn't say how much the 12v jump start runs. I have my setup like Ukswrath's gen 4 electronics build except I have a bigger power supply to easily run all day on one charge

I would still be concerned with how many amps the battery is pushing.

But at that price, you could try one and hook it up to a voltmeter to see what kind of output you are getting.  I've connected my Teensy to a 2Amp charger before and it was fine.

That battery pack has USB charging ports, though.  Are those already taken?

I had it wired up to the 5v but there was a ton of noise. Have to separate the fans and everything else. Worth trying one more time with this step down. If I blow another teensy I think I'll retire my efforts and stick with my icomm until someone else figures it out.

I had it wired up to the 5v but there was a ton of noise. Have to separate the fans and everything else. Worth trying one more time with this step down. If I blow another teensy I think I'll retire my efforts and stick with my icomm until someone else figures it out.

I would be interested to see the whole setup.  I have a 12V battery similar to yours and am going to grab a step-down board and do some testing because I'm also reaching the point where I would like a single power source...

When you say noise, is it EM noise from the fan motors?  I was getting some from the fans when I installed the hearing assist, but I replaced the connections from the mics in the earcaps to the board with shielded wire and it went away.  Since you're dealing with a power line, though, it may take more than that.

And yeah, blowing a 20 dollar board constantly is not fun :(

TKTalkie V2.2

Well, I got ONE of the things I planned to get done over the past weekend lol...I got The TKTalkie software updated to v2.2.

This version has a few changes:

1.  Added support for Line-In

2.  Added support for Line-out

3.  Changed effects from pre- to post-processing

This means a few things:

1.  The post-processing adds a little more power to the signal, so you'll probably have to turn down the gain on your inputs and outputs in your config file ;)  It also allows for better processing of the signal so that it's easier to hear how it is affected as you tweak it.  If you'd rather use the pre-processor, just comment out the line the setup function where the post-processor is enabled.  I left the the pre-processor enable commented out ;)  For example, after switching to using the Line-In/Outs and post-processor, whenever I started talking it was just a loud hissing noise...then I realized I had the gain on the noise generator up high, so once I cranked it down everything was fine.

2.  I found that using the Line-In and Line-Out works MUCH better, at least for my setup.  I'm using a powered wireless mic, so I can adjust my input and output signals a lot better.  I am getting LOT more volume out of my system and am able to avoid feedback since the signal is not so "hot" any more.  In the new tutorial I show how to adjust the line levels of the line-in/out to get the best signal for your setup.

3.  I switched to a 50-watt PylePro speaker (instead of the 10-watt Aker) and am much happier with it.  I am running from the Line-out on my TKTalkie to the Aux/Line-in of the speaker, and letting the volume on the speaker handle all the load.  The result is I can really crank it up.  So when I'm in loud situations at a Troop I can be heard well.

I updated the tutorial.  It's at www.tktalkie.com/tutorial.  In the tutorial I also show how to use the serial monitor of the Arduino IDE to make real time updates to your config.  I plan on making a video soon.

So my setup is a wireless mic running into Line-In on the TKTalkie, then I'm running the Line-Out to the Aux/Line-In of the PylePro.  I had to tweak my settings because it was really loud using my old setup when I was running the mic into the microphone input and using the headphone output into the mic input of the speaker.  I also took the volume pot off my TKTalkie.  I just manually set my board volume to half, again so the speaker can handle the volume controls by itself. Here is my current setup:

# Set overall output to about half
[volume=0.5000]
# Line-In level. Valid values are 0 to 15
[linein=7]
# Line-Out level output. Valid values are 13 to 31
[lineout=27]
# Plays when TKTalkie starts up
[startup=STARTUP.WAV]
# Background loop
[loop=CHATTER.WAV]
# Background loop volume
[loop_gain=0.010]
# Voice channel gain on the mixer
[voice_gain=0.3500]
# Trigger level to turn on speaker when I start talking
[voice_start=0.1700]
# Limit to turn off the speaker when I stop talking
[voice_stop=0.020]
# Amount of time to wait (in milliseconds) before playing a sound effect
[silence_time=350]
# Not using a PTT
[button_pin=0]
# Sound to play when PTT is pressed
[button_click=TKT_CLK3.WAV]
# Button sound effect volume
[button_gain=1.0000]
# 1 = Microphone, 0 = Line-In
[input=0]
# Not used since I'm using Line-In
[mic_gain=15]
# Volume level of the sound effects on the mixer
[effects_gain=0.2500]
# Equalizer: 0 = off, 1 = Bass/Treble, 2 = Parametric, 3 = Graphic
[eq=3]
# 5-Band equalizer since I'm using graphic. Values are -1 to 1.
[eq_bands=-0.75,0.00,-1.00,0.00,-1.00]
# Gives the voice a tin-can sound
[bitcrushers=16,41000,16,8096]
# Background noise level for when I'm talking
[noise_gain=0.1500]
# This is only used when using a serial interface to program in real-time
[debug=0]

I think I'll be taking a break from software tweaking for a bit.  I have my setup working great...field-tested at my last troop.  I'm going to work on the Bluetooth capability first, then I have an idea for a companion project for TKTalkie that I think will be a great addition ;)  

I got the v2 case printed thru 3D hubs for $13. Not bad. Looking forward to getting everything in the mail this week. This will be installed in my helmet and used with my hovi tip speakers.

How do you like your hovi tip speakers? I've heard they're too quiet but I'd rather use those than something installed in my chest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hey, Brent. I have another one coming in the mail in a few days as well as that step-down I wrote about. I'll let you know how it all goes and will do a detailed layout of how I have my electronics all wired up. You might want to add a bit about powering the teensy in your tutorial for people just discovering your system. 

• Like 1

Hey, Brent. I have another one coming in the mail in a few days as well as that step-down I wrote about. I'll let you know how it all goes and will do a detailed layout of how I have my electronics all wired up. You might want to add a bit about powering the teensy in your tutorial for people just discovering your system.

Good idea. I ordered the step down as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

After just a few hours I got this up and running!  Its an amazing project, thanks for making it so straight forward lerxstrulz .

I wont be able to install it on my TK for a few weeks, but this is my set up so far. I opened my Aker MR1505 and tapped into its battery. That battery runs at roughly 8V so I had to step it down using a LM7805. There was just enough spare room iniside the Aker enclosure that I was able to do it. I then ran power to the 5V and Ground pin (it works great, but from the best I can see, if I run power to it AND plug in the USB into my computer at the same time I will have a problem. So its and either or thing). I put about 1.5 inches of wire on all the connectors so once I find an enclosure for it I can have just the wires stick out with a small hole. I also just ordered a few cheap Micro SD cards so I can have a few different profiles available to troop in based upon the type of troop (with and without a background loop, or different inputs for wireless or wired mic).

After just a few hours I got this up and running!  Its an amazing project, thanks for making it so straight forward lerxstrulz .

I wont be able to install it on my TK for a few weeks, but this is my set up so far. I opened my Aker MR1505 and tapped into its battery. That battery runs at roughly 8V so I had to step it down using a LM7805. There was just enough spare room iniside the Aker enclosure that I was able to do it. I then ran power to the 5V and Ground pin (it works great, but from the best I can see, if I run power to it AND plug in the USB into my computer at the same time I will have a problem. So its and either or thing). I put about 1.5 inches of wire on all the connectors so once I find an enclosure for it I can have just the wires stick out with a small hole. I also just ordered a few cheap Micro SD cards so I can have a few different profiles available to troop in based upon the type of troop (with and without a background loop, or different inputs for wireless or wired mic).

2017-02-01%2016.20.29_zpsft1qeety.jpg

Looks really cool, James! I was able to get my wiring all set up. Moved my wiring to go to the 12v supply in my harness and put in the step down. I see a red LED which indicates the step down is getting power. I got my Teensy and Audio board in the mail today and come to find out that in my rush, I ordered the one without the pins. So that will now be a spare and have ordered another one with pins.<br><br>

Once I have EVERYTHING, I will post a break down of how I have it wired to help any one that is looking to do the same setup as me.

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Just to start off with, I have my setup similar to ukswrath's Gen 4 electronic setup. I purchases my mount, hovi speakers, amp, and more from him. The wiring schematic can be found HERE

Originally I had power going from the 5v side as that is what the Teensy requires but quickly learned there's a lot of EM noise due to being on the same supply as the fans. The newer version of the power supply I have has 2 USB ports so it's possible the wiring can be modified to not need a 12v to 5v step down that I had to use. I used the Ailavi DC-DC Buck Converter 6V-24V 12V/24V To 5V 3A USB Output Module due to it's small size and the fact I would be able to use an inexpensive usb to micro usb cable. I'm easily able to hide it behind my bracket. 

Here is the 12v and 5v dongle that connects to the Antigravity power supply. Notice the 12v is connected to a fuse. These are spliced into Cat5

B6152DEC-A3E8-48B4-8648-422DDF3827AD.jpg

Here's everything I am using inside my helmet. The hovi speakers are already mounted. I also have wiring for ukswrath's SHA but one of the mics broke and I can usually hear well enough that it's not really needed. 

C1D79704-2198-47C2-B2A1-E5351ACDFF23.jpg

Tidied up a bit

C5C31195-8386-454B-A024-AD61DF3D5077.jpg

FE31C5BC-BFAF-4772-8D16-521D2BACD8E1.jpg

Here's a quick test before fitting everything inside the bucket

And now everything wired up. I run the Cat5 through my neck seal and have a pouch in my chest where the battery supply is stored. 

• Like 1

Very cool!  Looks great!

Just to start off with, I have my setup similar to ukswrath's Gen 4 electronic setup. I purchases my mount, hovi speakers, amp, and more from him. The wiring schematic can be found HERE

Yay!  Glad you got that working! Looks great and the videos sound great.  I need to get me one of those brackets.

I have not had a chance to work on my step-down yet.  Been working on a major upgrade to TKTalkie  :smiley-sw013: It should make life a little easier...