Best connection for TK thigh armor to front ab plate

I am having the worst trouble with my thigh armor connections to my ab plate.  Everytime I troop these keep popping off, so my thigh armor drops to my knees.  I have tried many different ways.  Currently I am using the black 2" elastic with snaps.  However, I do not think I am doing the snaps properly.  They keep unsnapping.  Does anyone know of a good way to make these connections so they are solid?

Also, what is the best method for installing snaps?  I keep messing up the installs so the snaps do not work.  I have been using a tool and also using the other method.

Thank you.

You could also use a belt round the waist, under the armour, with elastic loops for each thigh. Either attach to thighs with snaps or (as I have) use Stelmax 1985 to glue the elastics inside thigh fronts.

• Like 1

You could also use a belt round the waist, under the armour, with elastic loops for each thigh. Either attach to thighs with snaps or (as I have) use Stelmax 1985 to glue the elastics inside thigh fronts.

I've done the same way, belt under armour with elastic loops, keeps in place but doesn't pull down on the torso

Dale

I've done the same way, belt under armour with elastic loops, keeps in place but doesn't pull down on the torso

Dale

I tried that and it slipped down. Going to try adding suspenders.

TK/HWT 10204

501st Imperial Attaché

Carolina Garrison

How about leaving a little elastic past the snaps and adding Velcro to help snap with the pulling force's. I myself have a vest that the thigh's and pretty much everything else hangs from.

I use a belt with elastic suspenders, has worked well for over 3 years. From the belt I have looped elastic straps with adjusters in case they stretch, then double snaps to the inside top of thighs.

How about leaving a little elastic past the snaps and adding Velcro to help snap with the pulling force's. I myself have a vest that the thigh's and pretty much everything else hangs from.

Pics?

TK/HWT 10204

501st Imperial Attaché

Carolina Garrison

I use a belt with elastic suspenders, has worked well for over 3 years. From the belt I have looped elastic straps with adjusters in case they stretch, then double snaps to the inside top of thighs.

Pics?

TK/HWT 10204

501st Imperial Attaché

Carolina Garrison

On 11/27/2016 at 8:35 AM, CrookKnight said:

Pics?

I don't have my TK handy but here's a pic of my FO TK brace, use a back support for this one and Velcro, I've since upgraded with snaps, will give you an idea of the adjusters.

v19Lg5w.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 9:42 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't have my TK handy but here's a pic of my FO TK brace, use a back support for this one and Velcro, I've since upgraded with snaps, will give you an idea of the adjusters.

v19Lg5w.jpg

Very nice

TK/HWT 10204

501st Imperial Attaché

Carolina Garrison

• Like 1

I think this is one of the best parts of my armor I have ever invested in, Shawn:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29991-thigh-garter-system/?hl=%2Bthigh+%2Bgarter+%2Bsystem It takes all of 20 seconds to put the belt on and attach the thighs.  They have never slipped once, even after an 8 hours troop.

• Like 1

I think this is one of the best parts of my armor I have ever invested in, Shawn: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29991-thigh-garter-system/?hl=%2Bthigh+%2Bgarter+%2Bsystem It takes all of 20 seconds to put the belt on and attach the thighs. They have never slipped once, even after an 8 hours troop.

Are the straps that attach to the thighs web straps or elastic straps? And do you use suspenders attached to your belt?

Edited by Slayer6769

I think this is one of the best parts of my armor I have ever invested in, Shawn:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29991-thigh-garter-system/?hl=%2Bthigh+%2Bgarter+%2Bsystem It takes all of 20 seconds to put the belt on and attach the thighs.  They have never slipped once, even after an 8 hours troop.

Looks great.  Should be the perfect solution.

I will need to add suspenders to the system.

Edited by CrookKnight

I have elastic loops on the thigh armor that go around a nylon waist belt.  I also use black nylon police duty belt suspenders to hold up the belt.  You can get them on Amazon here: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4HGJMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cross the suspender straps in front instead of wearing them straight up and down, as that keeps the straps from showing at the shoulder armor gaps.

• Like 1

Looks great.  Should be the perfect solution.

I will need to add suspenders to the system.

Why? You haven't even tested it as-is yet. Don't over complicate things. ;)

• Like 1

I've seen some ridiculously complicated strapping systems over the years. Some have had merit for special needs or just "feels luxurious". But most of them were just needlessly complicated without any benefits. More often than not they got in the way instead of helping. On that note I take some issue with the double snaps I saw on the pictures above. Double snaps hinder rotational movement by the straps, and that's not always a good thing. If you use quality snaps one snap is plenty strong enough to hold a few ounces of plastic against gravity.

• Like 1

I've seen some ridiculously complicated strapping systems over the years. Some have had merit for special needs or just "feels luxurious". But most of them were just needlessly complicated without any benefits. More often than not they got in the way instead of helping. On that note I take some issue with the double snaps I saw on the pictures above. Double snaps hinder rotational movement by the straps, and that's not always a good thing. If you use quality snaps one snap is plenty strong enough to hold a few ounces of plastic against gravity.

I am going to start very simple.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This is as simple as it gets.  Very robust system.  Very inexpensive.  One seam (per leg... you can hand sew if you don't have a machine) and some glue.  Highly recommended.  (except maybe mute the audio, LOL)

I use a 2" webbing tool belt I got for $5 at Home Depot.  (or just use any spare belt you already have)  Very secure, no need for suspenders, but they'd be simple enough to clip on if you needed them.

There are a lot of little things I want to tweak with my armor here and there, but this isn't one of them.  It just works.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020
  • Like 1

Yup, that's the way I'd recommend everyone doing the thighs. It's also the original way. Btw, one thing I noticed that surprised me a bit handling the original thighs of RS's suit was that the belt worn must have been very narrow, because I could barely fit a finger inside the loop, and I have very slender fingers!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 4:35 AM, kman said:

This is as simple as it gets.  Very robust system.  Very inexpensive.  One seam (per leg... you can hand sew if you don't have a machine) and some glue.  Highly recommended.  (except maybe mute the audio, LOL)

I use a 2" webbing tool belt I got for $5 at Home Depot.  (or just use any spare belt you already have)  Very secure, no need for suspenders, but they'd be simple enough to clip on if you needed them.

There are a lot of little things I want to tweak with my armor here and there, but this isn't one of them.  It just works.

On 12/1/2016 at 4:56 AM, Locitus said:

Yup, that's the way I'd recommend everyone doing the thighs. It's also the original way. Btw, one thing I noticed that surprised me a bit handling the original thighs of RS's suit was that the belt worn must have been very narrow, because I could barely fit a finger inside the loop, and I have very slender fingers!

Thanks for the info.  I have already built a 2" belt out of 2" nylon webbing and buckle.  Tonight I am going to create the loops and put 1 snap on each.  For the connection to the inner thigh, I will just put 1 snap about 1 inch down the front interior.  just have to remove the old ones.  I have about a 3 mile walk (Christmas Parade) coming up on 12/11.  So I need to make sure whatever I do works very well.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020