HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade, Houston TX

It was a day like any other day.... no, not really.

It started with my alarm going off at the dark hour of 5 am, Turkey Day 2016. Me and my wife, Theresa, begrudgingly got out of bed and packed the car. We made our way to downtown Houston, met up with several other members of the South Texas Squad of the 501st Legion (as well as the Kessel Base of the Rebel Legion and the Arqet Clan of the Mandalorian Mercs), and got ready for the HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Lots of pictures here. We had 4 original TKs (including one from the Galactic Academy), and I was the only one wearing the First Order TK. We also had Kylo Ren, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, several Biker Scouts, a Snowtrooper, a TIE Pilot, a Shadow Stormtrooper and Darth Nihilus from the 501st; Rey, two Rebel Pilots, an X-Wing pilot, Old Ben, a Jedi and Jyn Erso from the Rebels; and a Mando. Two Galactic Academy members were present; a TK, as stated before, and Ezra Bridger.

We had 5 handlers today. Two were given the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion flags and walked alongside myself, Kylo Ren and Rey at the beginning of the group. One had to lead our Darth Nihilus as he is legally blind. The other two, including Theresa, were in charge of picking up fallen objects, and both did a tremendous job.

We ended up with only two fallen objects, and thankfully no human casualties. Pre-parade, I was pacing around killing time, holding my helmet in my hand - and low and behold, it knocked my holster off my leg. (I shall screw it permanently in place to remedy this). DURING the parade, one of my belt boxes fell off (nobody saw, I'm sure; it was picked up by a handler almost immediately), and Boba Fett lost a piece of his jetpack. By the end of the parade, his holster was beginning to tear off as well, but it held. Otherwise, our group marched 1.5 miles to cheering crowds and television cameras. Many, many people called Kylo Ren "Darth Vader", so you know it was a success.

Below are pictures and a video of the event. Happy Turkey Day, everyone! And for those of you who don't care about Thanksgiving, fine. More turkey for me.

vxRcLJV.jpg

deC6MHK.jpg

3yUe5gz.jpg

lxdL5J9.jpg

T3RYzKs.jpg

D3nskCt.png

Edited by SkulShurtugalTCG
  • Like 3