ANH Paint colour guide

I was getting ready to paint the screws for my ears. I noticed I only have gloss white. Would this be acceptable to use? I have to run out and get semi gloss black for the TD screws. I only have gloss black.

Gloss white is perfectly fine for ear screws.

I've used gloss black on TD screws before, you can even touch the black while drying and it will take some shine off.

33 minutes ago, Paine1031 said:

Are these the same colors for ESB? I know the frown is black and decals are used on tubes. I'm collecting my supplies I want to make sure I get the right ones

Thank you

Also, if you want to go EIB then you will need decals for traps and tears :salute:

• 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, snipedoc2001 said:

For ANH Centurion level, are the Trooperbay decals acceptable or does everything need to be hand painted?

You want the Dave M decals from Trooperbay they look hand painted ;) 

Or use standard decals and draw over with a permanent marker, a little trick I came up with

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rwmead10 said:

I am about to paint my ANH helmet. Do you use the gloss black for the trap and tear details or the satin black like the vocoder?

Gloss on traps, tears and ears

• 4 months later...

Just to be certain I’m understanding, the Humbrol colours should be:

#21 Gloss Black (all the black bits)

#22 Gloss White (rivet & screw heads)

#05 Admiral Grey (all the grey bits)

#14 French Blue (tube stripes & ab buttons)

And we’re doing away with the Coal Black Satin?

The black and white can be any gloss, you may find acrylics may be easier to use and source.   For the #5 grey and #14 blue you probably are best going for the umbral enamels but I find them more of a pain to use.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, themaninthesuitcase said:

The black and white can be any gloss, you may find acrylics may be easier to use and source.   For the #5 grey and #14 blue you probably are best going for the umbral enamels but I find them more of a pain to use.  

So enamels OR acrylics are interchangeably accepted?  I find acrylics easier for cleanup, but sometimes needs additional coats. To me, the enamels are more opaque, go on smoother with sharper line edges, but are harder to clean up.

So enamels OR acrylics are interchangeably accepted?  I find acrylics easier for cleanup, but sometimes needs additional coats. To me, the enamels are more opaque, go on smoother with sharper line edges, but are harder to clean up.

Either enamels or acrylics are acceptable for approval, but keep in mind that acrylics will wear off more easily on raised surfaces such as the ears, ab buttons, and any screws and rivet which need to be painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Either enamels or acrylics are acceptable for approval, but keep in mind that acrylics will wear off more easily on raised surfaces such as the ears, ab buttons, and any screws and rivet which need to be painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet another great point.  Durability!  Thanks.

• Like 1

Try to use a little fine sandpaper too before painting, will help the paint to adhere to the plastic

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I found the gray, white and black paints because of this post; thanks!

Having trouble with the blue.  I look at Testors website and they don't have 2715 French Blue.  I did find it with the same website as Model Master #4659 as acrylic.  Thank you.

https://www.testors.com/-/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/Testors/ColorCharts/RM280035_0914_TestorsPremiumPaints.ashx

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/acrylic-paint/bottles

Edited by KeeganTK

3 minutes ago, KeeganTK said:

I found the gray, white and black paints because of this post; thanks!

Having trouble with the blue.  I look at Testors website and they don't have 2715 French Blue.  I did find it with the same website as Model Master #4659 as acrylic.  Is there a difference between acrylic and enamel that could hamper from being approved?  Thank you.

You definitely want enamel paint, rather than acrylic, though it shouldn't actually impact approval. Trooperbay has French Blue for sale here, as well as on their eBay page I think. The enamel will be more resilient and last longer.

• Like 1

Here are some alternatives. Marketed as the first colour correct paints to vintage ILM used paints. Enamel versions below. They also have acrylics.

Grey: https://archivexpaint.com/products/ex-009-1975-reefer-grey-lt-30ml-paint

Black: https://archivexpaint.com/products/ex-008-1975-engine-black-30ml-paint

Blue: https://archivexpaint.com/products/ex-042-1975-light-blue-30ml-enamel-paint

Not cheap for our purposes but worth mentioning.

• Like 2