ANH Paint colour guide

I'm sure most of you has seen the image below.  These Billgrams have become a bedrock on which many TKs have been built.

cNVGLFE.jpg

However this image, and 1 very similar, has a colour on it no longer deemed correct.  Rather than carrying on explaining it I've made a new diagram, sorry no catchy name this time, with just the correct colours.

The images show the Humbrol colours, but the Testors equivalents are shown too if that's easier to source.

All this was built upon Billhags work, so it would be wrong for me not to thank him for it.  He's also my GML so he has had a hand in me getting this far in more than just billgrams.  I already owe him a pint, so Bill if you see this and the opportunity presents it's self, make that 2.

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

ANH Stormtrooper Paint Colours by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Click through to flickr to get access to a full resolution version, and feel free to share this if you find it helpful.

• Like 9

Bravo!!!  I've added this to my arsenal, and will share it far and wide as the paint questions arise (which they do, over and over again).

Perhaps a mod can make this sticky?

• Like 2

I used this when painting my TK. I suggest that if you are considering taking it to a paint shop to print out the colors so that they can scan it, because evidentally the color scanners can't do it off your phone  :laugh1:

Unless you have color-calibrated files (the JPGs here are not) and are using a color-calibrated printer, this is not a good way to get the correct shade of paint.

• 8 months later...
26 minutes ago, viewoptic said:

The 2nd pic with only 3 colors is the correct one right? Just want to double check. Thanks.

Correct

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kind of a noob question.  I am not confident enough to point on the blue cheek stripes.  Instead I am going to use the decal from AP until I am more confident in painting.  I want to make my armor Level 3.  Are there any guidelines in reference to how far apart the stripes have to be?  I looked at the photos and cant put my finger on the width between them.  I may seem like I am over analyzing.

Well, the decal is individual bars.  Not one sticker.

Yes, but they come on a backing that applies them all at once. You peel off the paper leaving the decal on the backer, apply the decal and then carefully peel back the backing.
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Yes, but they come on a backing that applies them all at once. You peel off the paper leaving the decal on the backer, apply the decal and then carefully peel back the backing.

Ohhhh! I'm dumb. ha ha ha.  Thanks.  Will do that during my lunch break.

• 2 months later...
Does the white gloss paint mentioned above also work for the rest of the armor as well? Should I coat the suit with a primer first, then do a coat or two of the white gloss?

The armour doesn’t need painting. Just a small number of rivets and screw heads.

For a standard OT trooper I wouldn’t recommend painting it. And especially not with small hobby paints!

If your suit is a bit dull there’s various ways to polish it back up. Either basic car compound like meguires or you can splash out for Novos plastic polish.

Personally I don’t bother as the originals where pretty grotty so I like the dull look and marks you pick up when trooping.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
What is the translation into Revell colors?

You’d need to use a translation guide, these ones came from what troopers have been using for a while.

http://models2u.co.uk/downloads/PaintChart-RtoH.PDF

That looks to have all the colours listed but you’d need to test them to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

Is the frown color the same gray as the ab buttons?

Correct, if you read the section next to the color swatches it has name of color and where used ;) 

On 6/12/2018 at 9:09 AM, greenie22 said:

Kind of a noob question.  I am not confident enough to point on the blue cheek stripes.  Instead I am going to use the decal from AP until I am more confident in painting.  I want to make my armor Level 3.  Are there any guidelines in reference to how far apart the stripes have to be?  I looked at the photos and cant put my finger on the width between them.  I may seem like I am over analyzing.

2 ways. 

1 -get two yellow pencils.  lay one on the mandible (jaw) next to the cheek.  use the other pencil to draw a line so you know where the spacing is.  photocopy the sticker set and cut out the space between the sticker areas, and use it as a guide to place your stickers.  it is ok to be wonky a tiny bit on the stripe to stripe space, just try to be very careful on the top and bottom edge so it looks awesome.

2 - buy a stencil.  tape them on. paint a layer of white paint on and let dry.  this will prevent the blue paint from bleeding. then, mix the blue paint. mix it again. shake it up. mix it again. shake the living bejebus out of it, it separates more easily than the trade federation.  then, paint the blue stripes. let dry for 2 days. paint the blue again after repeating the mixing strategy.  you will have great, lvl 3 tube stripes.