"Sniper position plate"

What's the deal with the half hexagon knee pad AKA "Sniper position knee protection plate" It is almost always on the left knee. But that doesn't make any sense because if you were to take a knee to shoot it would be your right knee (assuming you are right handed). However, quite often you will see a group of southpaw stormtroopers holding their Mr. X. in their left hand, but the plate is still on the left side, and that would make sense, if the right handed ones had it on the right side... But they don't. Except one picture I found where there is a tk with it on his right knee and that confused me so much I had to ask. So what is it? Left or right? Or does it even matter?

And what's the deal with the left and right handed troopers anyway? One scene they will all be right handed, and the next they will all be left handed...

It's called "it's not supposed to be that kind of movie" (credit: Harrison Ford). Remember they were not worried about people picking apart every detail and looking for consistancy.

One can make up whatever story they want, but in the end the plate is on the left because that's just how he designed the suit, they holster left handed because the Sterling's mag is on the left, and they hold it left handed for the reason just cited. They shoot right handed because most of the stunt men were right handed.

It's like the question: Why do the stormtroopers get increasingly bad aim throughout the trilogy? Because that's what's written in the script :) *

* e.g. because the people writing it concentrated more on the story and didn't worry about such things.

And what's the deal with the left and right handed troopers anyway? One scene they will all be right handed, and the next they will all be left handed...

Lucas is also notorious for film flipping. The most obvious scene is Vader in ESB when taking to the Emperor, he's backwards.

Tanasoo said:
Come to think of it, the whole right knee picture I have is flipped, judging by the black dots on the abdomen. For some reason, having it on the left really bothers me =\

Matt

It seems like it bothers some of the Disney boys as well judging by this photo :D

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Billhag said:
Matt

It seems like it bothers some of the Disney boys as well judging by this photo :D

----------

Hahaha! :D. He must have been in a rush or his first day on the job.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021