Table Top Belt Sander or Handheld Belt Sander?

Auel

I'm torn between the two, the table top obviously is more expensive, takes up space and has limited sanding options whereby the handheld one is more versatile and I can do more with it.

Any advise on which is better to get on a budget for only one?

While I'm not too sure they have a Harbor Freight in Singapore, Ryan is spot on in suggesting the table-top style of sander.  Using 2 hands will give you much better control when using it.  After you do the main trimming of the pieces, I would suggest practicing with a few of the larger ABS scraps to get an idea of how fast this thing can really trim.  (And it is fast, believe me).  It will save you hours of work, but can take off too much if you are not careful.  Best to start out trimming a small amount at a time to get the hang of it.

You can purchase different grits of sanding belts, and for the detail areas I would use a Dremel type tool with the sanding drum attachment, like the one shown here: 

958717677_DremelSandingDrumSandingSandingBands407ENr19869v15drum_zpsciy9eimn.jpg.4311f00d1e7618cd967c9cf47eca762a.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Yup, we do not have Harbor Freight here in Singapore  :laugh1:

There there entry level table top sanders or it's just the standard versions? Any special types that I should look out for?

I have been using that on my dremel and got lots of uneven trims hence the need to invest on a sander.

This is the type that I have found that works really well, Auel.  The arm is adjustable up and down.  This style runs about $70.00 here in the U.S., or S$98.00 in your currency.image_22181_zpssjzfka4j.thumb.jpg.502d69ab6ea03bad90d5f1d6d6420442.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

This looks pretty handy, what's the side sander for?

On 11/15/2016 at 12:55 AM, justjoseph63 said:

This is the type that I have found that works really well, Auel.  The arm is adjustable up and down.  This style runs about $70.00 here in the U.S., or S$98.00 in your currency.image_22181_zpssjzfka4j.thumb.jpg.502d69ab6ea03bad90d5f1d6d6420442.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

It's just an accessory, used for sanding small items.  Not really needed for trimming armor. 

The side one is good for when you want a nice 90 degree flat surface.  I used it to square off my TD tube, which was a little bit too long from Anovos.  Cut it down with a hacksaw, and squared it off with that side sanding disc.

20160303173738-47bdbcc0-me.jpg

I have the Ryobi benchtop belt sander from Home Depot.  A little more expensive than the Harbor Freight model, but same basic idea.  A bit more durable, in theory, but who knows.  Absolutely fantastic tool to have for armor builds... but optional.  I don't think a handheld model would be as useful, since they're harder to control.  A handheld belt sander is great for sanding a fence, notsomuch for sanding armor, IMO.

b9ac18e7-d400-41a2-8ec4-cb4dd1f31903_100

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

This looks pretty handy, what's the side sander for?

If you're not careful, it can be used for removing large chunks of flesh from fingers.  At least that's what I've heard.   ;)  Theoretically, it is pretty painful if that happens, again not that I would know personally.  

(Seriously, I do know from experience, and it totally hurts.  LoL.  Make sure that you stay aware of that spot and if you have a guard for that one, ensure that it stays in place!  I have the same model that Kalani showed above, and my guard vibrated off of the table in between parts, causing the bloody accident.)

As everyone has said, I also agree that using two hands on the plastic with the table-top is the way to go.

Hey guys, just got myself a mouse sander and holy shucks. This thing is loud! <br><br>

But it's a very useful tool especially on the back piece. I suppose I'll be using it to flatten the bondo pieces as well.

Mouse sander all the way !

(Mine broke though)

When sanding bondo, makes your work 10000 times easier. Most files today aren't designed for body filler, only woods and metal, so the stuff keeps getting stuck inside of the grooves, and you have to clean them nearly all the time with a wire brush. When i use to file body filler on cars, we used a dreadnought file (Since it's purpose was for plastics such as resin) Stuff didn't get caught as much in the grooves, and were easy to clean... To bad you can't buy them locally (Well, not aroung here anymore) Costs about 40 USD to get overseas