Comparison – white boots vs. painted boots?

Hi everyone

It's been a while since I posted anything but I have some questions to ask about Stormtrooper boots.  I've done soooo much research on whitearmour.net about boot dealers like Imperialboots.com and Tkboots.com, but I was wondering about a 3rd option.  I've seen photos about troopers who have purchased black Chelsea boots and painted them white.  Some look like they would not last very long, while others look very effective and sturdy enough for many trooping events.  So here are my questions:-

1. Would purchasing black Chelsea boots and panting several layers of white work for 501st approval?  or would the layers of paint peel of easily and needing to buy more paint could cost more money then the boots themselves?

2. If painting proves to be an effective look, is there an enamel coating solution of some sort that can protect and prevent the paint from peeling off or being damaged?

3. Which white paint could I use that would be best for painting on boots?

4. Is it better to spray paint of brush paint?

5. Whichever paint is the best, can it be bought in any hardware or shoe stores in Canada or is it online only?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shinyarmour out

If you're going to paint (and it's accurate to do so), the best results I had, were using Angelus leather paint. Preparation is key. Use acetone and wire wool to scrub as much of the top coat of boots off as possible. Then mask the heels and give at least 6 coats. (I used a sponge to apply). Sounds a lot but each coat takes less paint to cover.<br>

The Angelus seems very hard wearing indeed, and is a nice satin finish.

• Like 1

Mark hit the nail on the head. As someone who went this route when I joined the paint worked great for dozens of troops. I say dozens because I switched to a pair of Imperial Boots. The paint was fine on my Chelsea's but the problem was with the space around the ankles. Those boots have a wide opening so that play's havoc with the bottom of shin. Making them rise when you walk up stairs and such. The TK boots and Imperial really hug your ankle. So just wanted to let you know. Oh, and if you paint it takes a good 6 or 7 coats. But they look original accurate when done.

• Like 1

I have 2 boots for trooping, painted (H&M Chelsea Boots) and White Leather from Imperial Boots.

Painted boots need repainted after several trooping, but now I'm wearing Imperial Boots often cause more comfortable for trooping.

Edited by swibowoj