HOWTO: Super clean helmet electronics/interior build

kamikaze

• 1 year later...

I looked at all my WIP workshop photos, the only thing that comes close is this one that was before I installed the electronics. Shows the raw neoprene, no padding, and before a bunch of clean up. Hopefully it helps.

hXW6N0D.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Motogpnut said:

This is by far, the best and cleanest installation I’ve seen so far. I commented on your video a while back but I had to say it again here. Great work. 

Hey! Thanks so much for the kind comments, I'm glad you like how the build came out and hope it may inspire people to do similar things with their buckets as well. Cheers and thanks again. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, kamikaze said:

Hey! Thanks so much for the kind comments, I'm glad you like how the build came out and hope it may inspire people to do similar things with their buckets as well. Cheers and thanks again. :)

On your video for the electronics you said you did another on how you replaced the lenses. I do not see that anywhere. I really like the way you did them, or at least what it looks like you did. Do you have a thread or video of that anywhere? I’d rather have small pieces just over the eyes than can be replaced, rather than a giant strip across the whole front. Plus the super thin acetate lenses are really flimsy and I’m worried about damaging them. I even have the welders shield ready to cut when I finally get my bucket. 

19 hours ago, Motogpnut said:

On your video for the electronics you said you did another on how you replaced the lenses. I do not see that anywhere. I really like the way you did them, or at least what it looks like you did. Do you have a thread or video of that anywhere? I’d rather have small pieces just over the eyes than can be replaced, rather than a giant strip across the whole front. Plus the super thin acetate lenses are really flimsy and I’m worried about damaging them. I even have the welders shield ready to cut when I finally get my bucket. 

So I haven't made a video showing how to do that, but I do have a write up thread here that goes through the process I use for hard lenses that are removable. You can find it here:

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 1:15 PM, kamikaze said:

Hi folks! I've had lots of people ask about various details regarding how I did my helmet interior. So, I thought it may be wise to just summarize it all so others may learn things or try to replicate some/all aspects of what I did. My goal was to have all my electronics systems embedded inside my helmet, with individually switchable systems, whilst all being very clean and hidden along with a blacked out look. No problem right? :)

For reference, this is what the interior looks like. Note that inside there I have 3 battery banks, four fans, a powered condensed microphone, the iComm unit and an Aker amplifier, all attached to a switchbox:

http://i.imgur.com/UOVliLh.jpg

Ok so I quickly found out that it would take quite a wall of text to summarize how to do this build, so I decided to throw a video together to summarize it all instead!

https://youtu.be/eYeUpAHOSHM

The basic gist is this:

1) Black out your bucket as you desire, I used 1/4" thick neoprene to line it.

2) Create a junction box by leveraging your hovi bolts onto a custom backplate which your switch box also get screwed into.

3) Refine your project box so it has the right size and number of switches for your application (I have 3 subsystems, others may have more or less).

4) For every one of your systems make a custom harness where the electronics run through your switch to its power source, ensure that the switch is the only mechanism to turn it on (so if the electronics had their own switch keep it stuck in the on position and let the switch you use at the project box be the one that controls it).

5) Using high quality velcro, mount all your electronics up at the top, and/or your fans at the bottom.

6) Route all of your wires that need to run from your electronics down to the switchbox in a clean loop, and everything else tied down neatly at the top. Use tubing to wrap the wiring with the least amount of wire and tubing required.

7) Add velcro to the bottoms of your electronics at top and add black padding to hide it all and make a comfortable fit.

8) Use any extra helmet padding as necessary to ensure you have a solid and snug fit.

9) Optional step: You may want to do this at the start but have your eye lenses done up in a manner that will work well with the clean look of your interior (see my other howto to check out how I did mine).

Here are some helpful detail shots that highlight some of what I was referring to within the video. One shows all the bare electronics before any lining or hiding was performed at the top. Another shows a detail of the swicthbox at the bottom to show how the hovi bolts and the project switch box mount into the backplate.

http://i.imgur.com/4RJjJBl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LMQDdi3.jpg

Here are some links to the more unique or non common materials I used:

Project box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBQNM

Flip switches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT7D0G

Neoprene lining: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00488DB10

Helmet padding: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A4TNQ8A

12V fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015S5XFJE

12V battery box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VE7HBMS

All right folks, enjoy and I hope this helps you with your own helmet builds. Post any questions or your own interiors!  :smiley-sw013:

wow!! Great job. Goals right there.

3 hours ago, kamikaze said:

So I haven't made a video showing how to do that, but I do have a write up thread here that goes through the process I use for hard lenses that are removable. You can find it here:

You’re the best dude. I knew you had something up your sleeve. Lol 

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, BikeMan said:

How did you attach the neoprene to the helmet.  I don't think you ever mentioned that step in detail, or I am totally blind.

The underside of the neoprene strips I used is an adhesive layer, so it just sticks in place. It's pretty strong too, I haven't had it peel off any even after several years now. :)

On 10/5/2021 at 7:47 AM, kamikaze said:

The underside of the neoprene strips I used is an adhesive layer, so it just sticks in place. It's pretty strong too, I haven't had it peel off any even after several years now. :)

Ok please excuse my ignorance here but could you define what the "adhesive layer" is?  I am about to do my helmet up for Halloween and I have all the stuff here for it. I am just unsure of two things. How to cut the neoprene to lay in the helmet nice and neat, like do I measure it first or just cut strips that fit and then conform them as I go?  And the method of sticking them in there I am unsure of in detail.  Like what is a good adhesive layer? You used a certain glue, or double sided tape?

Sorry to grill you, I just really admire your work and hope mine can look half as good. I appreciate any time and answers you give, thank you.

Edited by BikeMan

12 hours ago, BikeMan said:

Ok please excuse my ignorance here but could you define what the "adhesive layer" is?  I am about to do my helmet up for Halloween and I have all the stuff here for it. I am just unsure of two things. How to cut the neoprene to lay in the helmet nice and neat, like do I measure it first or just cut strips that fit and then conform them as I go?  And the method of sticking them in there I am unsure of in detail.  Like what is a good adhesive layer? You used a certain glue, or double sided tape?

Sorry to grill you, I just really admire your work and hope mine can look half as good. I appreciate any time and answers you give, thank you.

Yeah so the product I used and linked in the details has one side neoprene, and the other side of it you peel off and it is a sticky tape side, so you cut a strip of desired length from the roll, peel off the back, then you can place it where you want. It takes a bit of practice to get the strips cut and aligned right, but there's a lot of give in the product so you can shimmy things in easily. Start slow and practice with cutting strips and aligning them. Eventually you'll be faced with a taper situation since buckets have non-square geometry to them. It may be frustrating at first but just take your time and in the end it will look great. I've done many buckets now like this and they all turn out just awesome in the end.

I guess I should mention that after you peel off the back and stick it, you don't really move it. So you can cut off long strips and play with their size/shape aligning next to the last stuck on piece first if you want, then when you think you're good with it peel off the back and secure it in place. It's hard to describe this but when putting two strips together on the bucket, the one going in can be placed almost into the side edge of the next one, such that when you place it down finally you can just apply a bit of pressure with your finger between the two of them and create a fairly seamless join... I guess what I'm getting at is this avoids creating small gaps between your lines.

Another tip is what to do with the very top of the bucket. You really don't cover 100% of the internal with neoprene, maybe go up 80-90% of the height. The very top crown of the bucket will be a small open zone, maybe 4"-6" in diameter depending on how your project went. This is where a nice piece of circular helmet padding finishes up the deal perfectly (and makes for a nice comfort). Generally speaking, step one is lining the helmet with the neoprene, step two is using pads on the top for that part, but also placed around the helmet as needed to create a very snug and secure/comfortable fit. 

Thanks again for all your help.  Apparently when I bought this bucket a year ago I bought everything following your post here, but the adhesive has been out of stock since even back then. That's why I got confused, I got everything out of storage to finally start the project and was like "why is this one step not accounted for, I have all this other stuff already". Just found a new brand of neoprene that is in stock on amazon that matches your original link!

Edited by BikeMan
  • Like 1

I have also seen a sticky backed felt used before and sticky backed soft velcro, I've often wondered how these would hold up, at times it can get pretty wet and sweaty in the bucket and no doubt some would soak in.

A few other options

Self adhesive EVA sheets

ea7abb1a369b1ef5b1f42a43450039f6.jpg

I ran across this mod, his helmet used plasti dip and cheesecloth

zt7hqc6.jpg

A good idea also is when using padding to have that on velcro for ease of removal and washing :duim: