Newbie Question / Armor Start

Hi fellow Troopers!<br><br>

Jon here from Alabama...and I am thrilled to begin this journey! I had a couple of tech questions to start...I am doing a lot of research...but these are basic questions on starting:<br><br>

1. Looking at "kits" should I assume that the "anovos" kits are the best "do it yourself" for armor? I am starting with original trilogy / Stormtrooper to get my feet wet...then moving on to other detailed builds.<br><br>

2. Helmet...should I assume the same (anovos) with the helmet? Or...having looked...as long as I make the appropriate modifications to spec...can I use the "Black Series" Hasbro helmet I recently purchased (and what started me on this journey) as long as the mods spec out?<br>

3. I am 6'2...a lot of what I have seen armor-wise stops at 6'0...do I buy / modify...or does someone have a better suggestion?<br><br>

Guys (and gals)...I am thrilled and excited to get started. I told my beautiful wife about it...and she is "very happy I get to meet like-minded folks" and thinks this is great! So...with that blessing...I am IN! Haha!<br><br>

Thanks ahead of time for any help. It is very appreciated!<br><br>

Jon

Jaltrooper,

I highly recommend checking out a couple threads in the getting started section! 

1- types of armor http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

2-here is a thread for taller troopers   http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12693-which-armour-is-better-for-a-bigger-trooper-read-here/

I definitely dont think there is one best armor for anyone. When i first started i read through the various types of armor thread from start to finish and learned so much. The people on this board are extremely helpful and put tons of information in their threads! There is a list of vetted armor vendors as well and it def goes over what is better for different size troopers.

Have fun finding your armor and building it!

Mike  

Hey Jon!

1. Looking at "kits" should I assume that the "anovos" kits are the best "do it yourself" for armor? I am starting with original trilogy / Stormtrooper to get my feet wet...then moving on to other detailed builds.

To be completely honest, like what Mike said, there is no best kit out there. I really encourage you to look around, get a feel to what's out there before jumping straight into Anovos.

2. Helmet...should I assume the same (anovos) with the helmet? Or...having looked...as long as I make the appropriate modifications to spec...can I use the "Black Series" Hasbro helmet I recently purchased (and what started me on this journey) as long as the mods spec out?

No, you will not be able to use the Hasbro helmet without a TON of modding (which won't be worth your time). Reason 1 being that those helmets are based on the helmet from Rogue One, not ANH.

Follow the links Mike gave you, there should be plenty of info there.

Cheers! :)

Welcome to the FISD Jon! You've been given some great tips here. Just read through the topics so you can make the best choice for you. This is a big investment so take your time. It's not a race, it's an adventure. Good Luck Future Trooper!

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD, Jon!  Like Mark mentioned, some kits (such as AM 2.0) are designed for taller Troopers.  My HWT armor is AM, which is a great kit, and had held up great.  Getting replacement parts may be difficult, though.  I went with Anovos for my Hero build, and like the flexibility, but if you go that route I would recommend a few things..  Ditch the flimsy canvas belt that comes with it, and go with a heavy duty one which can be found from several vendors here.  Also, for long term use, I would avoid using the Velcro strapping system that is included and go with the snap system that most of us use.  They also offer a "soft goods" package.  Don't do it.  You can save quite a bit of money purchasing the under suit, gloves, etc. separately online.

Most of the information you will need can be found somewhere on this site, but always feel free to ask questions, and don't forget to check out the Advanced Tactics area, where you will see just how far you can take your armor toward screen accuracy.

I would also highly suggest signing up at the Alabama Garrison, http://empirestrikesbama.com/main/.  Many Garrisons/Squads have "armor parties" which are designed to help new folks get started, or you can volunteer to be a "handler" at one or more of their events.  This will give you the chance to meet some of the 501st folks, ask questions, and get involved even before you get your armor complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...Workbench is built and ready...have a "kobalt" work stool in my truck bed...dremel 4000 kit in back seat (fyi...they are on sale at lowe's...good price!). Ordering E-11 blaster Friday and have centurion rivet and hand guard kits on the way (thanks joseph & slavefive). Made a "Michael's run" yesterday...got E-6000 elastic, strong magnets, and some other knick knacks. Now...to just order something to work on! Hahaha. May set a record as being the most prepared pre-tk ever!!!