Battlefront Magma Trooper Pack Build

I was under the impression it was ROTJ armor with ANH bucket painted up to look ROTJ. But I could have misunderstood.

You are partially correct! The buckets for the troopers are clearly RotJ, as seen below.

15025618_626751637505009_328106046586624

15002337_626751634171676_235547246433773

The trooper you've seen is the Sandtrooper in the game, which has RotJ armor, the SE backpack, and the ANH bucket. Odd..

You'll also see ANH helmets when playing on the Death Star. 

Could I ask someone to find / share some close up photos of the mouth guard here? I'll get them over to the BSP boys and see what they can mock up -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to get some for you. 

Sorry to derail the thread a bit. ;)

Edited by T K
  • Like 2

You are partially correct! The buckets for the troopers are clearly RotJ, as seen below.

15025618_626751637505009_328106046586624

15002337_626751634171676_235547246433773

The trooper you've seen is the Sandtrooper in the game, which has RotJ armor, the SE backpack, and the ANH bucket. Odd..

You'll also see ANH helmets when playing on the Death Star.

I'll try to get some for you.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit. ;)

Great information.

TK/HWT 10204

501st Imperial Attaché

Carolina Garrison

• Like 1

Could I ask someone to find / share some close up photos of the mouth guard here? I'll get them over to the BSP boys and see what they can mock up -

I will see what I can dig up.  All I am doing is searching the internet for the Battlefront Pictures.

• Like 1

How is this one?

BattlefrontStormTrooperCrop_zpsgvblcghh.

• Like 2

Wasn't there someone on the forums who had the 3D model of this trooper?

That could be really beneficial.

Edit: Here.. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39158-magma-trooper-battlefront-version/

Maybe contact him and get the files?

Edited by T K
  • Like 2

Wasn't there someone on the forums who had the 3D model of this trooper?

That could be really beneficial.

Edit: Here.. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39158-magma-trooper-battlefront-version/

Maybe contact him and get the files?

Good call , forgot about that thread.

BSP said they could do it but not until after Dec since they are swamped with R1 armor / helmets right now.

Perhaps some other resources could be used to source as an alternative.

• Like 1

I finally have some time to work on this over the weekend.  Some of the supplies I have recently acquired are below.  I should be able to make the fins, insert the 2 larger bottles.  I got Styrofoam for the top cover, so I can shape it.  This will have to do until I can come up with something more permanent.  I do not have the ability to form anything out of plastic.

20161117_192444_zpsubsqvlcz.jpg

• Like 1

Today I was able to get some more done on this beast.  I am not going to bore you with all of the steps, just show you some of the milestone photos.

I cut the black 0.25" thick PVC sheets into 6"x12" and chamfered the edges.  This is where my table sander comes in really handy.

20161119_145914_zpsqy73zq13.jpg

Next I placed the 2 air tanks (we will call them - they are actually floor cleaning bottles) on the sheet.  I used painters tape as kind of a guide so I could figure out the best way to cut this.

20161119_150312_zpsxcsiebrg.jpg

Ignore the other pack build in the background.

20161119_150557_zpskbmdo05i.jpg

I used my router to cut out the 2 squares for the bottles to fit thru. (A little rough looking, I know.  But I will clean it up later)

20161119_152458_zpsmxcdsx2n.jpg

I then place the bottles into the Fin.  This is the first of 8-10 fins that the bottles will go thru.

20161119_152555_zps7zli0sd3.jpg

20161119_152558_zps0olcsc5b.jpg

It appears my test worked pretty well.  The next ones should not be as difficult for me to figure out.

Next Step:

Cut all Fins to proper shapes.  Insert tanks thru Fins.  Paint Gray.

I have to get a respirator before I make more cuts of this plastic.

• Like 2

Today I was able to get some more done on this beast. I am not going to bore you with all of the steps, just show you some of the milestone photos.

I cut the black 0.25" thick PVC sheets into 6"x12" and chamfered the edges. This is where my table sander comes in really handy.

20161119_145914_zpsqy73zq13.jpg

Next I placed the 2 air tanks (we will call them - they are actually floor cleaning bottles) on the sheet. I used painters tape as kind of a guide so I could figure out the best way to cut this.

20161119_150312_zpsxcsiebrg.jpg

Ignore the other pack build in the background.

20161119_150557_zpskbmdo05i.jpg

I used my router to cut out the 2 squares for the bottles to fit thru. (A little rough looking, I know. But I will clean it up later)

20161119_152458_zpsmxcdsx2n.jpg

I then place the bottles into the Fin. This is the first of 8-10 fins that the bottles will go thru.

20161119_152555_zps7zli0sd3.jpg

20161119_152558_zps0olcsc5b.jpg

It appears my test worked pretty well. The next ones should not be as difficult for me to figure out.

Next Step:

Cut all Fins to proper shapes. Insert tanks thru Fins. Paint Gray.

I have to get a respirator before I make more cuts of this plastic.

Nice progress!

• Like 1

Made some more progress.  Sorry for the rough pictures.  Looks like I will need 8 Fins at this size and then 3 that reduce in size.  Will add piping next with cover on the left side.

20161122_195933_zpsgwylddcn.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

I am not too happy with how this is looking so far.  As a result, I have been in contact with someone who has built a very nice one, recently.  I am going to start this process over here shortly.  But once I start, I will move quickly.

Hey Shaun looking good brother. This thing looks heavy. Have you thought of maybe making the majority of the components out of shapeable foam and foam board?

Yes.  That is what I am looking into now.

Do you have any tutorials or instructional videos on how to use shapeable foam and/or foam board.  I do not even know a good source to get the stuff.

Thanks alot.

Yes.  That is what I am looking into now.

Do you have any tutorials or instructional videos on how to use shapeable foam and/or foam board.  I do not even know a good source to get the stuff.

Thanks alot.

Green florist foam. You can buy it in blocks at your local hobby shop. I don't know of any FISD tutorials but I'm sure Youtube has some, just look up "shaping foam".

• Like 1

Green florist foam. You can buy it in blocks at your local hobby shop. I don't know of any FISD tutorials but I'm sure Youtube has some, just look up "shaping foam".

Cool.  I will give this a try.  Great idea as I have been struggling with the materials on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I am working with Magmatrooper on this.  As a result, I will be posting new images and progress within the next couple of days.  It is my intention to complete this as soon as possible.  Should be pretty cool.  I will be starting on new build thread labelled "Magma Stormtrooper Built Thread by CrookKnight, V2."

• Like 1