Engineering Trooper's ANH Stunt Build (RT Mod)

So, the big box of plastic arrived today... and ..oh my...

Good news is had been prepping for it, so got most of my materials ready.

The bucket is already preassembled, so got a start there.

Going to use Ukswrath's Anovos build as a guide. He's given me a lot of great advice..

I got my kit from RT Mod, so if anyone has any lessons learned from a build using that kit, I would appreciate any input.

Here's a list of what I have as far as materials, and build:

Neck seal - Darman

Boots - TK boots
Thermal detonator clips - Evilboy
Gloves- Trooperbay 
Hand covers - justjoseph63
Canvas belt - Rob Kittell
Holster -Gazmosis 
E11 - Hyperfirm with Trooper bay D ring, lenses and scope/counter  (see pix)
Underbody suit - Champion Varitherm amd Microfleece (going to try both )
Armour - ANH Stunt RTMod

Materials:

1. Cut resistant gloves
2. E6000 (3 tubes!)
3. Plastic /metal spring clamps (30 or so)
4. Paints: Humbrol/Testors from TrooperBay set
5. S trim from Gas Pump Heaven (for bucket)
6. Utility knives
7. Tandy  Leather snap set (along with a few special screw types given to me by one of the local garrison (Thanks Mike!)
8.  Web plates (from TK-10666)
9. Garter system from Pencap510
10.. Rare earth magnets lent to me from another member of the local garrison (Thanks Trevor!)
11.  Elastic (to be purchased soon!)

So here is the stuff out of the box, and a a couple of  pictures of my E11.  

Going to try for Centurion, (lofty goal, but worth the effort) , then add my pack/pauldron/pouches for HWT after acceptance of my ANH Stunt..

Let the games begin...

IMG_0489_zpsvkgcd80f.jpg
IMG_0491_zpszfynnchp.jpg
IMG_0492_zpsafn08zsz.jpg
  • Like 3

Oh my this brings back memories! Rob does a fantastic job with a clean kit to start with Jim. I'm gonna enjoy your build thread and happy to hear your aiming for Centurion and the HWT after. Always nice to see another RT-MOD Centurion! From your list it looks like your ready to go. Just take your time and make sure what your doing is right. You doing your best makes us look our best. Good Luck Future Trooper!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, hit a little snag on the way, hoping to get some feedback.

Had a member of the local garrison stop by to review my kit, and give some advice (Thanks Trevor!)

I had asked about the forearm parts, as they seemed a bit big, and not to fit together, as I had requested but joints. 

Trevor checked them, said looks like the back side had the joint cut off.  Same for the upper arm pieces.

So, am posting pictures to get a general opinion, as I think something went wrong with the kit construction as received.

Another surprise was that the front cod piece is not attached to the lower abdomen.  Rob from RT Mod indicated in the instructions that this was part of original build.

Does anyone see an issue with having those attached with a snaps?

Would appreciate any input!

IMG_0505_zpsa448fiyv.jpg

See below, missing the raised edge for a proper but joint. 

279ad51c-ea54-414e-bac2-fc516536dd17_zps

fe93a730-1e12-46e1-af3d-b0464e73f78b_zps

First fit for ab/kidney armor.   A bit snug, but I can suck it in  ;)

IMG_0496_zps9odfnhmh.jpg

Shows separate piece for front cod piece..

IMG_0503_zpscncrendr.jpg

Found another problem:  Seems the thigh pieces have same issue?  One has raised edges for the strip, the other does not.

See pix.

Would appreciate input from anyone who has done a RT Mod kit.  

IMG_0508_zpsjh9hwaxt.jpg

Edited by Engineering trooper

With respect to the thighs, I think that was the initial problem I think when putting them together, my mistake.   

I updated the post, showing the raised edge to flat edge.

Got some feedback from Tolo and Ukswrath on build, hoping that this clears up the issue.

If I understand their feedback correctly, seems I should trim the raised edge down to about half of the cover strip (7.5 mm), and then but the raised/flat edges together, gluing with a cover strip.  

Picture from Ukswrath's RT mod build below.  (Thanks Tony!!)

Not sure how this will work on the inside strip reinforcement, but will check the pictures.

Thanks to everyone for your input, hope to be back on track soon!

Forearm.jpg

• Like 1

Just to clarify the picture of the forearm armour is from Ukswrath's build. Waiting to get some confirmation on the attachment.<br><br>

Also contacted Rob at RT Mod just to be sure what I received was was was ordered.<br><br>

Should get confirmation soon, then on to building ...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so it has been a while since I have updated everyone, been a lot of things going on with work and home, as well as the confusion on my armour (how to do the but joints), but am finally moving forward.

After a lot of input from Eric (Tolo) and Ukswrath, as well as a video sent to me by Rob at RT Mod, I was able to figure out how to do the but joint, and am working with the armour as I got it.

Turns out even though the edges don't match, you can do a but joint with the raised edge fitting to the flat edge, just takes a little bending to get them to fit together.

So, here is where I am:

I trimmed the raised edge on the biceps  (first cut was the hardest..), and did a fitting (using info from a You Tube video for a RT Mod build done by Panda Trooper), and got the markings for the proper fit.

I found that using Lexan scissors to cut the curved edge, then a utility knife on the straight portions worked best.  I used the score and snap method to take off the edges, which gives a pretty clean edge.

After some sanding, I struggled with glue and magnets to get the right bicep together, but finally got it aligned.   You will notice the trim strips are a bit long, will trim those after the glue sets.

At this point, I only have enough big magnets to do one piece at a time, so it will be a slow process.

I also built several snap plates in preparation for assembly.  Had bought a set of nylon web plates with holes already done from  Redforce, so I only had to do the snaps.  Was fun pounding on the anvil...

I plan to try to do a fitting for my forearms either tonight or tomorrow,  want to keep progressing this week as the next several will be filled with a lot of holiday cheer, and no armour build time   ;)

So here are a few pix of my progress..

1. First cut is the deepest... holiday trimmings !

IMG_0519_zpsohigzvjo.jpg

2.  Right Bicep finally glued  and hopefully ready to go!

IMG_0523_zpsqlmj85iu.jpg

3. Web plates ready to go.. now to the rest of the armour!

IMG_0522_zpsmszqrpqg.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! Looking good Jim. In case you haven't seen it before, here's a link on making the bicep hook: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/37-howto-create-a-bicep-strap-hook/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/37-howto-create-a-bicep-strap-hook/</a>

Looking good, Jim! I managed to miss the start of your thread, but I'm following it now. Feel free to check my build thread out, it's linked below in my signature. Had I seen your question before you found the answer, I'd have told you that your kit is fine for butt join construction. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update 12/13/16:  So in the last week, I worked on my forearms.  A bit harder to cut and measure, but with help from the family, got it done.

Measured up with my undersuit, ended up cutting a lot of stock off, but that's what's needed for fitting.

Hardest part was to draw the line for the 7 mm cut on the raised portion.  Ended up that I pushed the piece down to the cutting board to make it flat, had my wife draw the line.

After gettng that done, used the lexan scissors to cut (easier as the line is not straight), and did sanding.

See pix below.   Right forearm was done earlier, but waited a few days.  Glued the left last night.

Another learning moment was with the snaps.  I posted that I'd done all of my web plates, and after watching a video by Ukswrath on doing snaps, found I had used the wrong side of the anvil (concave), so the male snaps had a curve.

Luckily I tried last night to restrike the snaps on the flat side of the anvil, and it worked.  Now more to correct today...

Next, on to the calves...

And yes  Randy, Santa brought me more magnets from Lee Valley Tools,  (even though I probably haven't been good, just annoying ;)  ).  So progress should speed up a bit.

See pix below, more to come!

One last note:  Thanks to everyone for the advice, offers to help and such.  

With the combination of information, the build is going much better, and with a variety of methods and designs that will make this a unique build!

IMG_0527_zpsfiztatwy.jpg

IMG_0533_zpskmp7b3ln.jpg

Ok, so finally getting back to the build over the Christmas break.

With the help of my future handler (Shannon) and my son, did a first fitting on all parts, excepting the legs.  

Pictures are attached, would appreciate any input, as I'm not sure if we got the overlap right at the certain joint areas.

Seems like there is a big gap in the chest part, pointed at it in one of the pictures.  

Also did work on the calves, will be sanding and gluing within the next day.

See attached, would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

IMG_0795_zpsiat1dseb.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsvhpvb4qb.jpg

IMG_0797_zpssah5ozck.jpg

IMG_0798_zpsulpubmyx.jpg

IMG_0799_zps88anstyj.jpg

IMG_0805_zpsbnjbbnw4.jpg

He sure did. My button plates were molded in and it's more sharply defined. And the answer for the coverstips Jim is 20mm in front and 25mm in the back of shin and thighs. Looking good! Plus it looks like you can bring your chest down a bit for a better overlap. Keep up the good work!

Don't have the button plates glued on yet so that may be the difference?<br><br>

Randy,<br>

Thanks for the clarification on the strips. Now I can trim them and glue with more confidence!

Edited by Engineering trooper

A few more updates: Got the right front calf strip glued (seems it was trimmed to the 20 mm length), and put the front strip on half the left side, will use the glued strip to measure cutting down the outer part and then gluing that part tomorrow.

Will be using Velcro for closure in the back, putting the fuzzy part on the inner calf per recommendations.

Here's a couple more pix>

IMG_0811_zpszb32az5o.jpg

IMG_0809_zpspsmcimxy.jpg