CRL Kidney Notch Change

Dark PWF

Back in April, we held rather lengthy discussion and vote processes with regards to a CRL change to the kidney notches.

As of today, 1 November 2016, the change discussed and voted on by the membership of FISD has been put in place, and it is now effective.

With the new wording, the notches are not required, but are more clearly defined for Troopers and would-be Troopers who need to put shims in their armor.

The new wording of the CRL, with regard to the Kidney Notches is:

Cut-out notches at the bottom of right and left sides of the Kidney Armor are optional

• If present, each notch is approximately 22 mm tall and the back of the notch ideally is aligned with the front edges of the Posterior Armor plate.
  • Like 10

so, this is Optional now!?.... with or without the notches are approve EIB and Centurion...

Some armor kits have the notches in them when they are made.  This provides guidance for builders of those kits, without confusing things or causing problems for those who do not have them, but may wish to add them, or may choose not to add them.

Yes, the notches are optional, and the diagram you shared is correct in its interpretation of the CRL.

With the new wording, the notches are not required, but are more clearly defined for Troopers and would-be Troopers who need to put shims in their armor.

The new wording of the CRL, with regard to the Kidney Notches is:

Cut-out notches at the bottom of right and left sides of the Kidney Armor are optional

• If present, each notch is approximately 22 mm tall and the back of the notch ideally is aligned with the front edges of the Posterior Armor plate.

Are we going to apply this to HWT as well? Because for Centurion it is still listed as required. ;)

Edited by T K

Some armor kits have the notches in them when they are made. This provides guidance for builders of those kits, without confusing things or causing problems for those who do not have them, but may wish to add them, or may choose not to add them.

Yes, the notches are optional, and the diagram you shared is correct in its interpretation of the CRL.

_-----------

ok, Thank you.

Are we going to apply this to HWT as well? Because for Centurion it is still listed as required. ;)

Yes, it will apply to HWT.  There is a glitch in the Legion forum's editing permissions that has to be fixed first.  Once that is done, I'll be updating that wording as well.

• Like 3

14882309_10208163072057314_8723485948846so, this is Optional now!?.... with or without the notches are approve EIB and Centurion...

Love the visual, we should do more of these.
  • Like 4

Love the visual, we should do more of these.

What do you exactly have in mind?

If we could get a list visuals that would be beneficial for explaining armor and other things that are often questioned, I think we can, with all the fantastic members here, actually do this.

Let's make this happen.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Edit: I'm down personally to start making these, just need a list of what we like to see.

Edited by T K
  • Like 4

Visual CRLs are definitely the new way to go in my opinion. These old, grimmy and hard to understand for new comers lines of requirements are more and more proving to be useless.

We now have the ressources to make and upload visual diagrams/pictures for practically all points of the CRL. It has already been done by other detachments and this is a much easier way to explain and show what you are talking about.

• Like 4

We tried visual CRLs and there are pros and cons. If you try to put every little detail on them they get confusing. Ideally you'd have the CRL photo and as you moused over a part it would show the detail, and we can include text as well. Yes, it would take time to do, but even if each took 2 hours, and someone did one once per month, we'd have 12 done at the end of the year.

We had a huge team to actually get the CRL pictures done - I think at one point we had like 6-8 people on photoshop duty. The detachment is even bigger now, I'd think with some volunteers we could get it done, once one person makes the first template.

• Like 1

We tried visual CRLs and there are pros and cons. If you try to put every little detail on them they get confusing. Ideally you'd have the CRL photo and as you moused over a part it would show the detail, and we can include text as well. Yes, it would take time to do, but even if each took 2 hours, and someone did one once per month, we'd have 12 done at the end of the year.

We had a huge team to actually get the CRL pictures done - I think at one point we had like 6-8 people on photoshop duty. The detachment is even bigger now, I'd think with some volunteers we could get it done, once one person makes the first template.

I totally agree with you, this would be a huge undertaking. I was looking at the CRL for ANH Stunt. I know this would probably take forever, but having a picture for each bullet point would be great.

I did the math and we would need 161 pictures (not including the blaster).  :shok: Haha, so my thought is that we can combine a couple into one visual (combine some of the helmet requirements into one) to shorten the amount we will need. 

Another thing to note is that many of these diagrams will apply to more than one costume. 

Crazy amount of work needed to be done, but I think if we set up a sort of tutorial/guide for making these (these will show what fonts to use, the size of fonts, the thickness of lines, exact colors to use, etc...) and set up a checklist of visuals that need to be completed. This way members who have photoshop skills could learn what to do and work on it. When they complete a visual they will turn it in and we would have someone look over it to make sure it meets that standards we set forth and either approve it for use or not. 

I'm just spouting ideas out, not sure how feasible they are, but it's worth the thought.

Cheers!

I guess it depends on how many details we need. At the least you can have a full body image and when you mouse-over a part, a pop-up will show the detailed shot we already have and then the text. No new images required, but will take either the use of an image map (old school, but no coding) or a little JavaScript code.

I think we should do one as a template and then see how it goes. Or, we can just do those details that are hardest for people to interpret.

• Like 2