FX chest plate mod

One of the things that really bothered me on the FX armor was the way the chest plate curved to far down on the sides. So, after seeing the thread on how to make a return edge with a hobby iron, i went and got myself one and decided to take care of this bothersome thing on the chestplate. I didnt really document it as i went along as its quite simple to do, i just wanted to show the results i got. Its not perfect, but i think it looks way better than the standard FX chest. While i was at it, i also took in the thighs a bit more at the bottoms. Heres the pics:

Before:

After:

DSCN0897copy.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN0903.jpg

and this one for fun:

DSCN0899copy.jpg

What did you do exactley?Did you cut it out,or did you only form it under heat first and cut it after from the back of the chestplate?I´m a little bit confused,because my englisch is not the best.Sorry. :D

yup, thats pretty much what i did.

If i would have realized so many of you would want to do this i would have documented it better! Didnt think the over extended chest bothered this many people haha who knew?

yup, thats pretty much what i did.

If i would have realized so many of you would want to do this i would have documented it better! Didnt think the over extended chest bothered this many people haha who knew?

Ok..thanks,man. :) Your update is one of the best I´ve ever seen for the FX.

I played a little bit with paint,to make the FX-Legs alittle bit more movielike..look at the left leg..what you think about the cuts?:

stormtrooper44beinlinkspo6.th.jpg

Ok..thanks,man. :) Your update is one of the best I´ve ever seen for the FX.

I played a little bit with paint,to make the FX-Legs alittle bit more movielike..look at the left leg..what you think about the cuts?:

stormtrooper44beinlinkspo6.th.jpg

I have trimmed my thighs to look more accurate, and it does help the look quite a bit.

WOO HOO... I just sniped a"monokote" iron, and two of the "hot sock" iron covers off eBay and only spent a paltry $21.55USD (including shipping) on it! :duim:

Now where did I leave my chest plate(s)? :P

Do you have a pic from your work?

Here's a recent pic of me in my armor:

2662599128_b98f93b809.jpg

Here are some comparison shots of my thigh pieces side by side with a TE2 thigh piece (full set of pics in this Flickr set):

2671912470_d8995dca66.jpg

Obviously I could trim more to get the look closer to the TE2, but I'd be taking too much off at this point. I really wish I had just trimmed them more like the TE2 to begin with, but I didn't know any better when I first got the FX suit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I took a big scary dremel to my chestplate:

cutchest2rh7.jpg

cutchesttf4.jpg

Not too sure about the shape yet, it still looks FX at the edges, I didn't do much more than make it shorter so it stopped covering up the buttons. I'll fiddle with it later and get it neatened up. I don't have a hobby iron thing yet so I can't put the edge back for a while, but there's no rush :)

That really looks great! How tall are you? I'm 5'8" and my FX chest plate hits me at my waist. My fianc'e is going to sclupt fem-trooper armor and a smaller chest plate but, I would love to mod my current chest plate. If we could do this to my armor, I would definetly be much happier. Thanx to all for the pics and advice.

That really looks great! How tall are you? I'm 5'8" and my FX chest plate hits me at my waist. My fianc'e is going to sclupt fem-trooper armor and a smaller chest plate but, I would love to mod my current chest plate. If we could do this to my armor, I would definetly be much happier. Thanx to all for the pics and advice.

I'm also 5' 8", and I think Lou is too?

Mine used to reach my belt until I took a bit off at the top so it could sit higher. And doing this mod, I took just over an inch off the bottom. It seems about right now :D

Good luck modding your chestplate ^_^

that looks awesome Mark! well done!

Im glad this thread really helped someof you out!

Liz, thats lookin waaay better!

funny thing is i never trooped it with the mod lol. I got the AP and trooped that for the first time a couple days ago. That worked out good, so im selling my FX, and starting a scout!

• 2 months later...

I trimmed the chestplate and I'm now trying to do the return edge with the hobby iron. Too high a temperature setting and I melt the plastic, leaving a wavy look when it cools. Too low and the plastic never softens enough to bend. Fortunately I've been practicing on the scrap from the chest trim, so I haven't touched the actual chestplate yet.

I have a Hobbico brand custom sealing iron. Can anyone whose done a return edge on FX armor recommend a temperature setting?

I used the iron at 200C (or 392F). You also ned to have the sock on (which will reduce the temperature a few degrees). It takes a little time to heat the plastic, but it worked great for me. I have done the mod on the shoulders, butt, chest and kidney so far.

Here are the shoulders:

Bilde076.jpg

Here's the chest:

Bilde068.jpg

Hope it helps!