Another 3D printed E-11 Blaster

mightyjebus

hello and welcome to my 3D printed E-11 Blaster build.

After printing and building the excellent models by "the5thhorseman" I thought I'd go back in time, a long long time ago, and make the original blaster from the first movie which was part IV. Actually I'm not quite sure which model of the E-11 blaster this is but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I don't know who made the original 3D model but this version below is the reworked model by "rayabear" and can be downloaded from www.thingiverse.com

So the first thing I did was print it all out. This took a while, not nearly as long as the break between episode V1 and I, but long enough for me to think it would never finish printing. I'm using a Prusa i3 printer which is a bit basic and has a few flaws but it's good enough for me at the moment as I can fix the faults with files, sandpaper, filler, swearing and lots of diet coke.

Below is all the parts printed out. It's about now that you realise that it might have taken a while to print but it's going to take even longer to put together unless you don't do any post printing work.

parts_zpsqoqmhgnl.jpg

I've cheated in this picture as I've actually joined the 3 barrel parts together as I'm a bit impatient at times. I used a wooden peg to join the front two parts together and this was glued inside the barrel in side the barrel shroud. This was to give it a bit of extra strength. The rear part is only glued and if thos proves to be to weak I'll get rid of the working bolt and glue to bolt in place giving extra strength to the rear of the barrel.

Obviously there are lots of parts here so the best course of action for me is to split it into groups and work my way through them. For me this will be:

Outer barrel

folding stock

pistol grip

magazine

top rail and scope

counter

any bits left over.

So on with the barrel.

Once the glue had dried, joining the barrel parts together, it ws time to break out the large file.

filing%20barrel_zpsxqzkmfxh.jpg

The idea is to smooth out the parts as much as possible and using the big file cuts through the plastic in no time at all. Once the barrel looks a bit better it's time for the sandpaper and smaller file.

I'm hard to get rid of all the errors as can be seen below:

marks%20on%20barrel_zps716ejiyr.jpg

so it's time to break out the filler and cover the whole thing in P.38 filler (or any car filler really).

p38_zpsskns17vb.jpg

p38%20applied_zpszcjzdqkx.jpg

Once the filler has set it's time for the files and sandpaper again and after a while it started to look like this.

sanded%20barrel_zpsbmxxbgsn.jpg

When it starts to look like this I break out the can of spray filler primer and give it a good spray. This fills in any small holes, scratches, etc and also highlights any areas that need extra filler.

barrel%20prined_zpsn5l5dnjb.jpg

While I was waiting for the filler and primer to dry I worked on some of the other barrel parts and in some case I used a product called XTC 3D to smooth the parts after a quick sand. I'm still not 100% happy with XTC but it's better than some of the normal off the shelf epoxy's I've tried.

other%20barrel%20parts%20sanded_zpspbuqh

xtc%203d_zpsp0he5qd5.jpg

Some of the smaller parts had filler, paint filler and then more filler applied to get them looking right.

small%20parts%20fixed_zpstls828wx.jpg

So after all that I'm now at the stage where I can start to assemble some of the barrel.

barrel%20painted%20black_zpsynzwjq3c.jpg

This will be a slightly longer project than normal as I'm off to the States next week so that will put a hold on things until I get back. Next stage is to finish the parts to complete the barrel and then move onto the folding stock.

Edited by mightyjebus
  • Like 2

Day 2:

It's time to make it look more Star Wars and less Sterling SMG.

Here's the parts I've worked on today.

starting_zpskoq4kppq.jpg

The top rail, bayonet lug, front sight protector, rear sight and bit that protects the bolt sprayed black.

sprayed%20black_zps3qkenheg.jpg

The tracks after a dose of filler.

tracks%20epoxyed_zpsdin0oz2e.jpg

and after a sand and prime.

tracks%20sanded%20and%20primed_zpsmw0rc8

All the bits fitted to the barrel. This is the barrel complete for now. Just after the picture was taken it was given a quick paint to cover up some of the marks it had picked up as I was working on it.

barrel%20finished_zpsjgl42qbe.jpg

Now I'll be working on the stock. I'm in the process of cleaning the parts up and I'm in 2 minds about making it a working folding stock.

starting%20on%20the%20stock_zpsxczloxzt.

Day 3:

worked on the stock. split the parts down and cut and files so that everything fitted. I added a couple of plastic rods to help align everything. I also decided to make the stock in the fixed folded position as it would be too much work to make it functioning.

stock%20parts_zpsqtrjkqyt.jpg

everything that would be seen was epoxyed.

epoxy_zpsd3wlabay.jpg

and then sanded.

sanded_zps8epgnac8.jpg

After it was primed then painted I fitted it to the barrel assembly.

fitted_zpsjliyhaq7.jpg

I used 2 airsoft AK47 selector bolts to fix the stock in place.

stock%20bolts_zpskdhuhmu6.jpg

I also had time to work on the pistol grip and trigger.

pistol%20grip_zps0e9ayczr.jpg

This was a straight forward, sand, epoxy, sand, prime and then paint job. Once it had dried I attached it to the barrel assembly.

pistol%20grip%20fitted_zps1xbyem5m.jpg

no more updates for a week as I'm off traveling.

Edited by mightyjebus

so I'm back from the States and spent some more time with the E-11 I'm building.

I finished the magwell and attached it to the side of the e-11

mag%20daylight_zpschx5eozc.jpg

Then I worked on the scope, counter and power cells.

scope%20parts_zpsdnsmhtyl.jpg

counter_zpsbqnmhdle.jpg

scope%20reticule_zpst6ebpueo.jpg

and after all that it was time to put the lasts bits on and call it finished. (i still need to do a overall coat of varnish and get some photos when it's not dark and raining).

finished_zpsariwrbdb.jpg

finished1_zpsuslluq0x.jpg

finished2_zps7zxcslmg.jpg

I'll post up some pictures of it in the daylight and then it's time to move on to Poe's pistol and Mace Windu's Lightsaber :)

• 2 months later...

Just an amazing built, and I have the very same 3D files since I'm building one myself out of a PVC tutorial, hoping these files helps me out in a way.

"Following this thread with great interest", as Palpatine would quote in Episode 1.  ;-)

Where did you get the files for the F-11 (First Order Trooper blaster) file from?  Please PM me if necessary.  Looks really nice. 

Edited by DarthVader1