RT-97C scope riser build

Thought I would post my build for the scope riser for my RT-97C (Hyperfirm purchased from Lewis).  As the blaster came with a scope, but no riser, I had a few options.

There is a nice 3 d printed version available from Europe that Lewis mentioned, includes the riser and scope, about $90, requires assembly, parts are resin I believe.

As the scope Lewis sent was pretty nice already, and matched the main blaster, I wanted to try to make a riser first, and if that didn't work, get the 3 d kit.

Did a few trial and error attempts using copper tubing and a 1/2 inch metal tube, but came up with the following design:

IMG_0460_zpsnomcl6dx.jpg

IMG_0476_zpsp1ptwhxv.jpg

Here's what you need to build it:

1.  Brass Craft 3/8 in ID Hose Barb Tees (3)  (available at Lowes)

2.  1 set of  2 8-32 Wood Insert nuts (2) (Hilllman brand worked for me, available at Lowes)

3.  8-32 x 1 Socket Hd cap screws (2)

4. 1/2 inch pipe (not plumbing type) for sleeve  (comes in about 3 foot length)

5. 5/16 inch threaded rod (comes in about 2 feet lengths)

6. E6000 glue

7. 2 radio type knobs with long stems (got mine at a flea market)

Build steps:

1.  Cut 2 pieces of threaded rod about 4 inches and  3 1/2 inches respectively

2.  Cut a piece of the 1/2 inch pipe about 1 1/4 inches

3. Take 2 of the tees, cut off one end flush, the other cut the barbs so there is about 1 and 1/4 barbs left.  

3.  Use a drill bit  17/64 size and drill out the 3 tees (both ends for the uncut tee, along the length where the barbs are cut  of the cut tees )  I used one a size up by mistake, so the fit was not as good with the threaded rod.

4.  Thread in the 4 inch  long rod through the longer portion of the tee, so threading sticks out on either end equally.  Next thread on the cut T pieces.

5.  Using a rubber mallet, hammer the assembled T into the 1/2 inch metal tube.  Should go up to about 1 barb on the long part of the barbed tee.

6.  Thread the 3 1/2 inch long rod to the bottom of the main tee

7.  If the threading is loose, take the pieces off of the rod (s), coat them inside with E6000, then reassemble them to the rod.  Glue should not be needed for the tube/tee fit. 

8.  Screw the wood insert nuts into the uncut parts of the tees, as seen in the picture.  Leave a few threads out as they work well to fit in the holes for the scope.

9. Paint assembly (matte black works) excepting exposed threaded rod

10. Using the 17/64 drill bit drill into the pylon mount on the main RT-97C blaster, to a depth of about 1 inch

11. Coat the inside of the hole on the blaster using E6000 

12. Insert the assembled riser, with the sleeve onto the blaster, and let dry

Knob assembly

1.  Drill out the opening of the knob to snugly fit the socket head of your bolts..

2.  Secure the socket head bolts with E6000.

Final assembly is just to fit the scope on the riser, then screw in the knobs.  

For reference, I oriented my riser as I had seen in most of the pictures, with the knobs facing on the opposite side of the braided tubing.  I also bent the middle Tee a bit so it fit the holes better on the scope (put it at a slight angle)

For a more detailed build, I also drilled out parts of the molded scope to put in lenses, used a couple of Halloween props  (steampunk monocle for the smaller end, spyglass lens for larger side)

Hope this helps a few troopers.   Worked for me!

Here's a few more pictures of the completed item:

IMG_0477_zpsbdfmgtmy.jpg

IMG_0479_zpsotxuizak.jpg

• Like 1