ANOVOS TFA Preorder Q and A

Ilnino

I think you need to define "best".

Price, accuracy, durability, availability, ease of build?

I have the Anovos ANH TK but no firsthand experience w/ other makers.

- Their kit should be pretty accurate, though the early release / prototype kits had some detailing issues. Based on their feedback it's been addressed, but no-one knows for certain until the new kits ship.

- The ABS plastic used for the ANH has pretty sharp pulls, but to get it they went thinner on the ABS than other makers. Durability is fair but will require reinforcement in certain key areas where flex can occur. Their FOTK kit comes with latex joint gaskets, which is softer and more likely to damage or tear where the armor rubs against it. More durable rubber and cloth gaskets are available 3rd party, but increase the suit cost.

- Anovos is pretty bad on availability, other than their brand-new pieces like the Deathtrrooper and Shoretrooper helmets. I'll likely be waiting 1 year+ from ordering to shipping for the FOTK.

- Ease of build was high on the ANH kit. Having the helmet pre-built, and cut lines molded into the armor really helped out. Also, being white ABS, no painting. The FOTK kit is aiming to be about the same level of skill to build.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Is Anovos the best TFA armor you can get? I know it has a great reputation, but I wanted to be sure. I'm 6'2" and skinny. I'm also a beginner, so ensemble or kit? I have almost no experience, but you gotta start somewhere. :D

Im in the same boat as you. I have very little experience with an entire armor set. The most I've done is a helmet for a judge dredd costume that is never going to finish due to the costs. Im hoping that everything will be pretty much fit, cut and glue, but I am afraid that there might be some bondo work. Correct me if I am wrong but the thigh, shin, and arm pieces are supposed to have only one seam and it seems anovos made two pieces for each armor piece. 

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Is Anovos the best TFA armor you can get? I know it has a great reputation, but I wanted to be sure. I'm 6'2" and skinny. I'm also a beginner, so ensemble or kit? I have almost no experience, but you gotta start somewhere. :D

The tfa armour is a lot of pieces.

The new version is supposed to do away with painting and Bondo.

The Anovos offering is at least based off of pics and first ...Second...Hand views of movie used and worn stuff.

If you define best as cost vs support vs work required then the answer is mostly yes.

Other people do make suits of tfa armour. I believe all require primer paint and Bondo.

There are at least one commercial secondary makers out there, Google fu it, and price is the same, eta is much sooner, and they make cloth gaskets as well that are excellent. Not sure they make a helm but you'll be painting their suit anyway.

Be advised: tfa armour is a two person donning. It is suitable for your body type if I read it correctly. If you are tallish and cyndrillical. If you are pear shaped or inverted pyramidal, not so much. Stick to a good TK.

The tfa armour is a lot of pieces.

The new version is supposed to do away with painting and Bondo.

Other people do make suits of tfa armour. I believe all require primer paint and Bondo.

Just curious who you got this info from? On the Anovos site it doesn't make this statement. Since this suit is fitted to the wearer ( like a clone ), bondo & paint will be needed to build & paint it. As much as I would like to see a FOTK suit build like a classic TK, I just don't see that happening. 

PS: I also bought the FOTK Standard kit. As much as I'd like to have it for trooping at the  Episode 8 premier, I'm not holding my breath:) 

Edited by GRINCH

Just curious who you got this info from? On the Anovos site it doesn't make this statement. Since this suit is fitted to the wearer ( like a clone ), bondo & paint will be needed to build & paint it. As much as I would like to see a FOTK suit build like a classic TK, I just don't see that happening.

PS: I also bought the FOTK Standard kit. As much as I'd like to have it for trooping at the Episode 8 premier, I'm not holding my breath:)

In the original emails that came out it was alluded to not needing paint and Bondo.

Now they say this:

"Simplified assembly and improved detailing over 2015 prototype kits.

Armor components require trimming, clean-up and physical assembly.

Belt requires assembly.

Basic instructions for assembly will be made available as PDF download.

Snaps, strapping, and hook and loop materials are included for mounting of armor pieces.

Tools and glue not included.

Decal sheet included."

I'm not sure what simplified means.

This suit is built for one body type. Unless someone wants to resculpt features after resizing up or down a lot, tfa armour really should be bought by people it fits.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Be advised: tfa armour is a two person donning. It is suitable for your body type if I read it correctly. If you are tallish and cyndrillical. If you are pear shaped or inverted pyramidal, not so much. Stick to a good TK.

Well, dang.  I've really got a ton of work cut out for me then, what with being 5'8" and all.  Still a mesomorph, but definitely below average in the verticality department.

I have the added problem of monocular vision, so a FOTK helmet is actually better for me to troop in than a TK as it doesn't restrict my field of view any further than it already is.  So I've been determined to make one - but sometimes the more I read the more I fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Will certainly be a monumental challenge, and with Anovos fulfillment dates being what they are, I'd be mighty lucky to troop at the Ep IX premiere.

I also ordered back in June and now we went from September 2017 to Q1 2017. Sad to see this heavy delay especially because we paid that much for an early delivery :(. I was in contact with Joe Salcedo CEO of Anovos and he told me I guess 2 months ago that the molds are ready but the company who produces the Kits had an major new deal for a movie so the Kits were delayed :(. Last thing I've heard from him is 5 weeks ago when he wrote me that It's just vacu forming plastic and everything is ready and they will ship before Christmas eventually. That will not happen I guess.

Do you have his email because you are a friend or does he give it out? In other words, are you free to share that with me?

Do you have his email because you are a friend or does he give it out? In other words, are you free to share that with me?

I am not allowed to give you his email Adress but he wrote me that and the company who produced them should have finished their major deal for the movie and they should be working on the Premium Kit now :) Hopefully Q1 will work for us who ordered the Kit back in June and July.

Send him a message via Facebook. He can choose whether to respond.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not allowed to give you his email Adress but he wrote me that and the company who produced them should have finished their major deal for the movie and they should be working on the Premium Kit now :) Hopefully Q1 will work for us who ordered the Kit back in June and July.

Fingers crossed! Thanks for the updates.