Popping my sewing cherry...

Sounds weird when I read the thread title, but anyway :D

A couple of times recently, I've had to annoy the missus by asking her to sew something on her Brother sewing machine. It's an older machine but has hardly been used and I figured it was time to teach myself a new skill. I have experience hand-sewing leather etc, but it's normally fairly thick 3mm leather.

She tried to show me how to thread the thing... either i'm just not a good learner, or she can't teach for toffee :D Either way, it wasn't sinking in.

So I reached for the instructions...

What? We don't have any manual for the machine? Doh!

Lots of Googling later ( Like I said, it's an older machine, so even archived online manuals aren't relevant ) I happened-upon a scan of the pages I needed. Success!

Anyway, threaded upper and lower threads, tried a test piece then came up with my first machine-sewn item! I went for something I might actually use - a TK neckseal made of a nice, supple leatherette I found the other day.

It ain't perfect, but it's my first and i'm proud that it actually fits, complete with velcro closure :D

I'll try another with some padding in between layers, to make the ribs stand out more.
IMG_1253_zpsskrvgc6l.jpg
Edited by humperdingle
  • Like 2

It's a hassle sometimes but if you have a machine you can't figure out how to use, take it to a sewing machine repair shop. They can show you how to get it working right and check it out to make sure all the settings are proper. I have a machine that is 45 years old. I wouldn't trade it but I did have to have it serviced before I got started.

• Like 1

I have most of my materials for my neck seal, but I'm in the same boat as you. I've used a sewing machine once for some simple patch work for a bag years ago.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brother made sewing machines? Wow.

Well if that blows your mind check this out. About a month or so ago I bought my wife a Toyota serger.

Toyota and Panasonic and Hitachi I know about. I just never see brother on anything but cheap printers.

I was just the opposite. I knew about brother machines, but was sort of put off by a Toyota machine. LOL!

• Like 1

I'm glad someone posted this. I just started using my mom's Brother sewing machine that she left me after passing last year. It's been interesting to learn. For thicker leather and other fabrics, I've been using an 1893 New Home sewing machine. It has big f'ing needles for industrial work. Lol you have to pump a floor plate to work it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Alrighty, well, I had another go. This time, I used a double layer of a black smooth fleece material, sandwiched between the leatherette

I think it came out nicely... the ribs are definitely more pronounced on this one :)

IMG_1262_zpstrysouzo.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work! Where did you get the material?

Thanks! I got it in a local shop, which sells all sorts of household, dressmaking fabrics. I'd always found leatherette material that looked OK but had some kinda white mesh on the reverse side. This one is black front and back. Must be more of a clothing type material, as that was the section I found it in (!?)