HOWTO: Shoretrooper Helmet Painting Tutorial. By Paul Prentice (tutorial on page 6)

Of all the things to use I am using a pair of scissors to just scrape back the beige to reveal the black underneath. Its a bit clumsy but it worked for me. I went too deep and in some of the pictures you can see where I have gone through the black layer. It is not a problem as I touched the chips up with black paint.

DSC_3245_zpsqjfm3rkq.jpg

DSC_3247_zpskenymvaw.jpg

DSC_3248_zpsr1bpg33q.jpg

DSC_3250_zpsi5wwdndm.jpg

A little wire wool here and there for some finer scratches and scuffs.

DSC_3264_zpsr6uyrjnv.jpg

The larger chips are the result of the silicone masks.

DSC_3254_zpsukmmdkde.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 1

The dirt was applied with a dry brush technique stippling acrylic burnt umber into the cracks and corners and around edges. The excess was removed using fine grade wire wool and lighter scratch's added using course wire wool.

DSC_3244_zpssdoe08t0.jpg

I also sprayed a little Dirty Down dark brown onto the helmet and wiped away excess to add some age to it.

DSC_3955_zpsly6pbkzf.jpg

DSC_3492_zpsivuvr9os.jpg

DSC_3495_zpsdxebu7nm.jpgDSC_3494_zpsgk2twgwk.jpg

I really tried hard to restrain myself with the weathering and damage this time around. However it still looks beaten up enough to look convincing.

DSC_3490_zpsgic94a4t.jpg

This time I cut the eye bags from 2mm rubber sheet. it has a more solid looking finish than the foam.

DSC_3468_zpsdxvrj2lu.jpg

DSC_3801_zps5kf7qjqt.jpg

DSC_3791_zpsdhwn1fvu.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 1

I think this looks great. The helmet at CE were more dirty than damaged and I think you've done a great job to get the look.

Thank you. I am glad you have noticed that. Allthough all of the shoretrooper helmets that were displayed have damage none of them in particular have lots of damage. Some areas of a particular helmet might have more damage than another area but generally there appears to be not a great deal off damage overall. I think when painting the Shoretrooper helmet there is a balance to achieve between the paint chips and the weathering. It is very hard not to overdo it. The armour is very chipped and weathered but the helmets less so.

• Like 2

Great work sir - as ever.

As you and others have said the detail is in the amount of weathering, and having the restraint to dial it back a tad to reflect the SWCE 2016 buckets.

Just under a month and I get to see this helmet in person. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it and have a real close-up look at your skills. Fab.

Next will be the armour!

• Like 1

Thank you. I am glad you have noticed that. Allthough all of the shoretrooper helmets that were displayed have damage none of them in particular have lots of damage. Some areas of a particular helmet might have more damage than another area but generally there appears to be not a great deal off damage overall. I think when painting the Shoretrooper helmet there is a balance to achieve between the paint chips and the weathering. It is very hard not to overdo it. The armour is very chipped and weathered but the helmets less so.

I went back to the images I took before I posted and you have really done an excellent job on it.  The armour is a complete mess of damage, I'm guessing due to hard use on set rather than deliberate weathering.  I suspect the armour was far more like the helmet at the start of filming but where they used black materials the on set damage just adds to the end result we saw at CE.

I'll soon be doing a 3D printed helmet (which I hope to cast) so I'll certainly be following your updated tips.

• Like 1

I went back to the images I took before I posted and you have really done an excellent job on it.  The armour is a complete mess of damage, I'm guessing due to hard use on set rather than deliberate weathering.  I suspect the armour was far more like the helmet at the start of filming but where they used black materials the on set damage just adds to the end result we saw at CE.

I'll soon be doing a 3D printed helmet (which I hope to cast) so I'll certainly be following your updated tips.

Thanks Yes i think you are correct regarding armour damage. I think a lot of the damage on the armour is through stunts and accidental damage rather than what the props guys intended. I need to make a decision of how much of that am I going to add to my armour.

This hi def image escaped onto the internet. First time look at a screen used helmet up close and personal. Absolutely stunning piece of work. All the details can now be seen and the weathering and texture are clearly visible. Snout piece looks to be dark grey as I originally thought. Eye bags are moulded into the lens. Emblem could be a decal as it looks slightly raised could also be stencilled paint. Its bloody magnificent.

ANO01161090__zps3zjwdt52.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 1

Due to better reference imagery I am taking a closer look at the texture of the screen used shore trooper helmet. I feel getting this texture right is key to getting the weathering right. I have started experimenting as I am looking to possibly repaint the Anovos helmet when I receive it.

DSC_4582_zpsufevsdsw.jpg

DSC_4584_zpsrmcjzqzr.jpg

DSC_4595_zpsvaiw9wec.jpg[/urlDSC_4587_zpsv1lxka0i.jpg

16651841_1857048641246439_812872687_n_zp

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 3

I am producing an accurate set of belt boxes for the Shoretrooper so please contact me if you are interested. The following images shows one of my boxes I painted using a paint application very similar to what is documented in this thread. It goes to show just how effective these techniques can be when replicating the wear and tear seen on the Shoretrooper armour.

DSC_5591_zpsrekawvdy.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-25%20at%2022.31.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The snout looks to be a very dark grey, the brow  ( if you mean the rim of the forehead) is black. The undercoat will be dark brown.

So when you repaint your Anovos helmet you will be going with a brown base rather than a black base? Just got my BSP helmet and am going to start the paint up soon...just curious what is believed to be the base color.

So when you repaint your Anovos helmet you will be going with a brown base rather than a black base? Just got my BSP helmet and am going to start the paint up soon...just curious what is believed to be the base color.

The original helmets were cast in a dark brown, almost black plastic. That was how Glynn Dillon described it. Yes the base coat needs to replicate this in order for it to be an accurate paint application.