HOWTO: Shoretrooper Helmet Painting Tutorial. By Paul Prentice (tutorial on page 6)

Tony, in so-cal, the paint is obo $8-11/400ml can.

Also, Rustoleum 7771 sand is a damn close match. ;)

Not bad, not bad at all. Thanks for the tip Taylor. Where did you see the same paint for $8+? 

BTW it has taken me almost 6 cans Ivory Satin (originally recommended) to adequately cover my ST armor. Stuff adds up quick.

Not bad, not bad at all. Thanks for the tip Taylor. Where did you see the same paint for $8+?

BTW it has taken me almost 6 cans Ivory Satin (originally recommended) to adequately cover my ST armor. Stuff adds up quick.

Here's the site: http://www.dickblick.com/items/01425-8140/

Really? I have 4 cans of sand & I've got about 1/2?1 can left. I'm done painting. it really does though...

Really? I have 4 cans of sand & I've got about 1/2?1 can left. I'm done painting. it really does though

Well after some touch ups before and after the weathering work, I'm plowing through the stuff. This doesn't include all my air brush work.  :blink:  Reminds me of my SWAT build, whew!

• Like 1

Really? I have 4 cans of sand & I've got about 1/2?1 can left. I'm done painting. it really does though...

Website is out of stock, bummer

this happens a lot when I post on safari on my phone. For some reason this site adds loads of characters to my posts. Anyone else get this? It will probably do it now.

Try this.

http://www.artistspraycolor.com/products/Montana-Gold-Artist-Spray-Paint-Sahara-Beige.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Adding Missing Details to Helmet and Repainting.

Now I know the official colour of the Shoretrooper helmet I can repaint it. 

Montana Gold Series Sahara Beige.

15337635_370014853345705_182459848509278

This gives me an opportunity to add some details that I did not include before. I will not be dremelling the cut out details under the eyes, i fear this will be too problematic. The visor will be replaced by another and positioned higher on the forehead.

I use 2mm HIPS/plasticard (black) to thicken the lower band and foam board (white) to add the stepped out upper band.

15400504_377666842580506_116193130048040

The whole helmet is lightly sanded back ready for the revised paint job. Fortunately the cheek greeblies, snout and forehead could be removed by carefully breaking the glues seal. Visor is also removed.

15349681_377666849247172_196533372442518

• Like 2

Adding Missing Details to Helmet and Repainting.

Now I know the official colour of the Shoretrooper helmet I can repaint it. 

Montana Gold Series Sahara Beige.

15337635_370014853345705_182459848509278

This gives me an opportunity to add some details that I did not include before. I will not be dremelling the cut out details under the eyes, i fear this will be too problematic. The visor will be replaced by another and positioned higher on the forehead.

I use 2mm HIPS/plasticard (black) to thicken the lower band and foam board (white) to add the stepped out upper band.

15400504_377666842580506_116193130048040

The whole helmet is lightly sanded back ready for the revised paint job. Fortunately the cheek greeblies, snout and forehead could be removed by carefully breaking the glues seal. Visor is also removed.

15349681_377666849247172_196533372442518

Now you have an AT-ACT driver helmet!

• 3 weeks later...

Shoretrooper Helmet Revisions

After adding some corrections to the sculpt I have once again given the whole bucket a coating of black paint. This time I have used Halfords Wheel and Wheel Trim Paint Stealth Black. I am experimenting with this as it claims to be chip resistant and I figured I wanted a tough black undercoat.

DSC_2828_zps14qqa9dr.jpg

I have added the silicone liquid mask to areas again to create the larger paint chip effect however this time around I being much more subtle with it.

DSC_2830_zpsximakzxw.jpg

The Montana Sahara Beige is added in light even coats allowing to dry properly inbetween.

DSC_2833_zpsotme1e3s.jpg

Halfords Toyota red is used for the emblem (I am assuming they used the same red as they did for colouring the right bicep)

DSC_2836_zps4xnnu7c4.jpg

The Shoretrooper emblem mask is placed into position over the red.

DSC_2850_zpski0f1qv3.jpg

The whole helmet and the forehead is finished off with the sahara beige making sure all the red is covered thoroughly. Note the silicone masks appearing as lumps in this image.

DSC_3234_zpsctev9syp.jpg

Once dried all of the masking is removed and I have painted in all the details. With more recent reference I believe there to be no grey on the Shoretrooper helmet. All the detailing is black including the snout.

DSC_3240_zpsfflzrz5t.jpg

• Like 2