HOWTO: Shoretrooper Helmet Painting Tutorial. By Paul Prentice (tutorial on page 6)

Now the helmet is black I am going to mask off the areas that I want to look like paint chips. I mix my own silicone to make a liquid mask.

IMG_1139_zpsfzokr18p.jpg

I ignore the mix ratios on the tin of 100 parts silicone to 5 parts catalyst and mix 50/50. This will cause the silicone to harden within 7 minutes. I do not want to apply the silicone too wet because it will run forming an unrealistic shaped paint chip. I wait until the silicone has half cured and is thicker. Using an old small paint brush I apply it to parts of the helmet where chips and wear would occur naturally. On the edges, around rims. I like to imagine the helmet being used so I think of it being dropped or debris hitting it then try to realise this damage onto the surface of the helmet. Apply to the forehead piece as well. Try not to over do it. If you have applied to much you can easily peel off mistakes or excess once it has cured.

DSC_1212_zpso5bhepww.jpg

There are a lot of ideas out there regarding the colour of the Shoretrooper helmet and armour. In my opinion using the reference photography from Celebration Europe and San Diego Comicon are not reliable due to the lighting and saturation of the images. Thay are useful as a rough guide however I chose to colour match to a pop toys figure and the raw cast resin colour of the BSP helmet. The closest I could find was Valspar Shelley Light Gloss 21103. Valspar do not have RAL numbers but this is somewhere between 1014 and 1015 on the chart. It is not an exact match but it is close enough and light enough to take some knocking back with weathering later on.

DSC_1081_zpswvytsg9b.jpg

DSC_1079_zps3wasfozi.jpg

IMG_1160_zpswfycakkz.jpg

Before I paint the helmet I need to address the insignia on the forehead. I have saved the decal that came with the helmet for this part. I am going to apply a few light coats of Valspar Shelley Light to the forehead piece to cover the black.

fef9054d-5edd-4863-9378-c2e8103d62de_zps

Once dry I am going to spray a large enough area in the corner of the forehead where the insignia is located using my airbrush. I colour matched the paint to the BSP decal. I used acrylic Vallejo 851 Bright Orange and Vallejo 947 Red. Mix ratio of 1/10 orange to red. The orange helps the red to "pop" and when mixed it resembles the colour I am seeing from my reference material.

DSC_1217_zps862qdsbf.jpg

Add water to dilute a very thin mix of paint with the consistency of milk.

IMG_1150_zps2qozmweo.jpg

Spray light thin coats until a flat colour is achieved.

dbc961d2-f0cc-42d7-bfd3-7198fd0e5123_zps

When dry spray with 2 coats of Humbrol Acrylic Satin Varnish 6135 and leave to stand for 30 minutes. This will serve to protect the acrylic paint.

IMG_1156_zpsy5eot575.jpg

Rather than use a stencil for the insignia I am going to use the BSP decal as a mask. Take you time and place the decal in the correct position over the red area. Once in position stick down firmly.

DSC_1215_zps7bo1fbxh.jpg

Using Valspar Shelley Light continue to spray the fore head in light, even coats until the red can no longer be seen. 

IMG_1062_zpshe0geusn.jpg

Now you can apply paint to the rest of the helmet. Spray the entire helmet covering all surfaces in light coats allowing to dry in-between. Once completely covered leave to dry for 2-3 days. This gloss paint can stay tacky for quite a while so be patient and allow to dry properly.

DSC_1222_zpsaqzx12hs.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 1

So awesome...will help so much  :duim:

Also awesome you went with the POP Figure to get the color...I was going to go the same way  :jc_doublethumbup:

Once it comes down to the full body armor..i'll have to see if I want that blue we see on some armor or not  :huh:

Thanks again for this guide.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think it steps out. Here's what I see:

shore10.jpg

Great diagram thank you. This is what I am talking about. The black line steps out from the helmet. This is missing on the BSP helmet. In fact it does the opposite and is sunken inwards like the other panel lines throughout the helmet. This is something that can be remedied however it would be ideal to sort this before applying paint.

Edited by mr paul

what you did for the texturing on the helmet is ingenious! I hope to find the same stuff here in the US so I can attempt the same. I might use something else for the paint chips.

If you cannot find that product in the US what I use to use to create a corrosion effect is when the paint or primer is still wet I would sprinkle fine salt onto the spots that I wanted the corrosion appear.
  • Like 1

what you did for the texturing on the helmet is ingenious! I hope to find the same stuff here in the US so I can attempt the same. I might use something else for the paint chips. 

You cannot get Pebeo Studio Acrylics in the U.S however Windsor & Newton and Liquitex make the same modelling paste. Go for the highest density in either case.

Very nice tutorial. I have one from TheRocketeer over on the RPF and this will definitely come in handy. <br><br>

As for the Pebeo Studio Acylics? I picked some up at my local Michaels so it is definitely in the US. Shelly Light Gloss on the other hand? Seems to be U.K. Only..

There you go. Available in U.S brilliant. The Valspar Shelley light is between 1014 and 1015 on RAL chart. Somewhere around there and you will be good. 

True. I do like the color you used. Wish we had it in the USA. <br><br><br>

what else could be used for masking the paint to make paint chips?

There are liquid masks that you can buy from hobby outlets, I have also heard of toothpaste, mustard, mayonnaise being used. Anything that forms a mask and holds its shape and can be removed easily. i would go for hobby stuff if you do not have previous experience to avoid mess and mistakes.