Is Anovos worth the wait?

I have a TFA TK helmet in transit from Anovos, which means the rest of the armour will be in a shopping cart too....but Q3 2017? Nearly a year is a fair timeline, especially for an impatient guy like me. I have also heard their time frames can change. Not sure if this is true or not as I am fairly new to the scene. Are they worth the wait on their standard line kits? Granted they are licensed but there is I'm sure many others putting out a quality set of armour which will not effect acceptance into the 501st. I am sure others have looked at this as well so I am curious if people are looking elsewhere and what are the best choices out there? Is it similar price points and how long are their wait times? Maybe I'm off base and Q3 is a reasonable wait time for an item like this. Wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the FISD! :)

I have seen and felt the ANOVOS kits, and they will definitely get you in the 501st if built correctly. You were wondering about different options. I highly recommend that you go and check out this forum:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

It has great and valuable information! Good Luck!

There's no actual comparison between the upcoming tfa kits and the Greek letter versions. Anovos won't need paint, is supposed to not need Bondo or seam work beyond normal tk suits, and like their anh suit is only going to fit average bodied people. I see...not average bodied people buy them and then complain they can't complete the build in a cosmetically appealing way. All that said yes. Wait. Or spend double, spend ten times the hours on the build, three times the cost or more for supplies, and get it done sooner.

Anovos was bang on their anh kits first delivery.

Edited by sylverbard

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will wait and save myself some grief down the road and stick with Anovos. Another question, did 501st members get first crack at the Anovos TFA TK when they first released it? I was sure I read that somewhere but I couldn't find it again.

One thing I've heard from members in my own Garrison who have Anovos kits is that the plastic is very thin in some areas.  One member completed his kit only a few months ago and already has cracks in the plastic in the helmet and another area (and I don't think he's been rough on it).  Not trying to persuade you away from Anovos, but something to consider.

• Like 1

One thing I've heard from members in my own Garrison who have Anovos kits is that the plastic is very thin in some areas.  One member completed his kit only a few months ago and already has cracks in the plastic in the helmet and another area (and I don't think he's been rough on it).  Not trying to persuade you away from Anovos, but something to consider.

Is that my kit? I'm not sure how our TFA kits have held up.

My experience with Anovos plastic hasn't been the best, thin in areas and cracking. Personally when I buy my TFA I'll go with a kit from a member here. Just something to consider.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will wait and save myself some grief down the road and stick with Anovos. Another question, did 501st members get first crack at the Anovos TFA TK when they first released it? I was sure I read that somewhere but I couldn't find it again.

Not this time.

All of the Anovos TFA kits sold prior to the movie release went to 501st members. They were essentially "prototype" kits, sold to those most likely able to (1) work out the build kinks (there were no real build instructions - especially with the initial batch of 75 that were distributed pre-SWCA), and (2) provide free marketing to Anovos simply by wearing the kits out in public. Many of the lessons learned from the prototype kits were incorporated into the kits that are now being sold to the general public.

I have the ANH TK and ordered the TFA mainly for it not needing paint.

The ANH suit is solid, only cracking for me has been on the shoulder straps (a common problem on the TK design from multiple makers), the helmet is too thin around the base and has cracked under the rubber trim on myself and others.

The TFA helmet is injection molded and seems much more durable, it should not be an issue. Not sure on the ANH suit until they release the updated version, I would hope for similar quality.

Overall I'd say probably not worth the wait unless you're bondo-shy like me, for the price it is a good deal.

Would it be a good idea to lay in some fiberglass on the inside of the thinner plastic parts for support? Or would that cause other problems?

definitely good. Some guys lay fiberglass inside of every part to make the armor sturdier.

To the topic:

Estimate a waiting time of ~1 year. I'm not a pro about the TFA kits, but for the ANH kits, I can say there are good quality kits on the market with ~ the same price and you get it at once.

But if you've got the time I'd wait until they are on sale (Maybe Rogue One Premiere or May the 4th). Then it makes a huge difference to other vendors.