Painting abs and frown

Alay

Hey all, quick question. I'm trying to re-paint my husband's helmet with Testors 1138 enamel in the frown, but it's continually coming out with brush strokes... I don't think I'm very good at it haha.

Is there an equivalent spray paint I should use instead?

Same question for the abs; is there a spray paint I can use for the blue and gray that matches correctly?

I found using some paint thinner helps, sometimes the paint can be too thick and doesn't flow well and shows brush strokes, I applied 3 thin coats which seemed to do the job, left to dry between coats or it can wrinkle ;).

I found using some paint thinner helps, sometimes the paint can be too thick and doesn't flow well and shows brush strokes, I applied 3 thin coats which seemed to do the job, left to dry between coats or it can wrinkle ;).

Can I use thinners with enamels and not melt the ABS? I heard they tend to be very rough on it... which did you use if I might ask?

Testors do their own thinners and you are only using a small amount. Thinners by itself with melt ABS but in such a small quantity it hasn't been a problem for me ;)

• Like 1

I found some humbrol enamel thinner, added a few drops, mixed it up, then went over the ears with about 5 thin coats until it finally became nice and brush-stroke free. The darker color bits will probably be easier!

• Like 1