Decided to Brew my own

I have a TK that I have been taking the kids trick or treating with every Halloween for the last 3 years and they have been asking when they get to be troopers like me. The standard Rubies fabric costume just won't do for these little Star Wars connoisseurs. So I looked into the kids size kits others produce and just about fell over, now compound that number by 4 and I woke up on the floor drooling. Then I thought to myself, "Self, how hard could it be to make my own kits?". Short answer, its a lot of work. First, I had to build a vacuum table, and because I have this inability to do things simply I had to build the overhead oven type vac table. I am cheap too so I wasn't about to pay for the plans I keep seeing advertised out there. I built the frame and then started hunting for heaters. The first victim was a small 120 volt under the desk type warmer I found in the Goodwill for $5. It did heat the plastic just not hot enough and it took 45 minutes to get to temp. Then I tried heat lamps, bad idea. Then I bought some nichrome wire and started experimenting. I tried several versions before settling on a design with 3 parallel loops and generating about 4000 watts of heat. This heats the plastic in about 45 seconds which means you have to becareful not to burn the plastic. I also have a great friend that helped me out by making the molds out of foam and bondo. 

20160911_172141_resized_zpsanhhzrsi.jpg

I have a lot of parts now.

20160913_235229_resized_zpsair7iuez.jpg

Some parts need reshaping to fit the kids, but I am really happy to finally have something to work with. 

So far I have built these legs for my son and daughter. Only one set in the picture.

20161004_085634_resized_zpsuysm2eqi.jpg

Then I put together the abdomen.

20161019_005201_resized_zpsx7ktflix.jpg

Chest and back plates are riveted together via the shoulder straps.

20161019_005131_resized_zps3a579xua.jpg

Now I am working on the shoulder bells biceps and forearms.

20161018_233351_resized_zpsemrymcyv.jpg

I have been working on one of the helmets and its looking pretty good though I am having trouble finding more of the brow trim.

20161019_005319_resized_zpsvpz5oy0g.jpg

What do you think so far? I know I only have 2 weeks left until Halloween, I am trying to work like a demon at night to get these done in time. Luckily, two of the kids have decided to be Kylo this year so I only need two kits for this year. 

Edited by Zugor
  • Like 1

Just another recaster.

star6.png

Nope, we made everything from scratch, and wow cant believe I am being accused of recasting already. Since the molds are from scratch with no prior experience I can see why the pulls lack some definition. Since this is the first time I made anything like this I think its pretty good, that and the learning curve is steep. Also when I ordered the plastic I ordered 0.09 inch but when I picked it up I think they gave me 0.125 which is partly responsible for the lack of definition. Hey for Halloween costumes I think they are pretty good.

I am going to have to make more due to growth and I still have two kids that want kits so improvements can be made as I go along.

• Like 1

Using the photos kindly provided by Troopermaster:

comparison_zps3tdjbcha.png

The dome on my helmet appears to be rounder on the sides and top and shorter in the dome, while the other appears to rise straight up quickly slope over and then go flat on the top. The trapezoidal detail above the ear is smaller on my helmet. The detail below the eye has a different shape and position on my helmet versus the other. The ridge surrounding the eyes continues across the bridge of the nose on my helmet while it stops prior to the bridge on the other helmet. The frown on my helmet has a shallower angle versus the steeper one on the other helmet. The vocoder extends out to the point that it looks like a separate piece glued on after like an FX helmet on the other helmet while mine the detail is built into the mold. The side tube on my helmet appear to be almost level or flat as it traverses from back to front while the other helmet appears to slope down as it comes forward ( I could be wrong as I don't have enough pictures to be able to tell for sure). 

chestComparison_zpsel27lu79.png

Other than the fact that these are chest plates I don't see how these two could be considered related in anyway.

kneeComp_zpsyjidtniv.png

The sniper knee is larger on my shin versus the other and the angles are different where the knee extends back giving my knee a larger space going towards the rear of the knee. My shin is looks to have a square like shape versus the rounder shape of the other shin. I believe the knee pack on my thigh plate has shorter blocks versus the taller ones on the other thigh. 

I believe this to be a fair comparison with the goal of debunking the theory that I have recast someone's work as charged by TrooperMaster.

I would like to reiterate that which I posted in the originial post, all of this is on a very small budget. The forming table was built with scrap wood and conduit.  I only have a shopvac, I started with 2 old vacuum cleaner motors, and the wood vacuum chamber probably leaks, so I can understand why the details are soft in my plastic. My goal here has been to make kits for MY kids for Halloween so laugh and mock as my effort all you want. My kids still think I am SuperDad.

• Like 3

It's close. That's for sure. Well the helmet <br>

Paul. I don't remember who made that helmet Do you ? I sat and tried to remember all day!<br><br>

Just my opinion the face it to alike <br>

But I am not wearing my glasses And I do trust TMs eyes more then mine <br>

I wish I could remember that guy who made that set <br>

But I don't feel like going into a drama of recasting <br>

I am just talking about his forming. If it is recasted. The bigger holes in the table will just make a sharper pull on a recast .................... hahah

• Like 1

I cant believe you guys cant tell the difference between these helmets. What do I have to do to prove my molds are originals?

If you know your stuff is your stuff, I wouldn't be concerned what other may think. Be happy with what you did and enjoy it with your kids.
  • Like 1

this I agree with

I cant tell if it is a recast    I don't have both next to each other

your doing it for your kid   good for you man

I am sure by now you must realize it would have been way cheaper just to buy a kit 

and a lot less of a headache

also you must know TM is a purest and likes to see the work done

going forward  just post in progress pics