E6000 doesn't like me

shnar

I'm piecing together my Anovos armor, and the E6000 glue doesn't seem to like me. It's always popping off pretty easily, after days of setting, especially on the larger pieces like the thighs. Am I not using enough of it? Should I be more generous in my application? What's the secret for getting this to stick for long term?

-shnar

Hey Bryce, sorry to hear about your issues. The glue when properly set (cured) is extremely durable and strong.

I recommend some excess protruding outside the cover strip after you've applied the clamping tools. Make sure you're allowing for adequate cure times, 24-48 hours, sometimes more in cooler or humid climates. Also, make sure there's not too much stress in the area in which your gluing, areas should fit together rather easily when assembling. Test first: I good test is to glue a couple pieces of smaller strips of material, let set then check the hold. 

Hope this helps    

3 questions for you, Bryce, and please don't think I am being sarcastic...

1.  Did you remove the thin layer of protective plastic film that covers the parts you are trying to glue?  This is a common thing, so don't be embarrassed.  It happens to the best of us, (me included).

2.  If so, did you lightly scuff up the joints you were attempting to glue with sandpaper (and clean them afterward)?  This gives the E-6000 something to adhere to.

3.  Are you using clamps and Neodymium (rare earth) magnets to hold things tightly in place while the glue sets?

No need to go crazy with the amount of glue.  A thin layer should do just fine. Any excess (seepage) can be removed easily afterward.

Another valid question is where was the glue bought? There's knock off glue about on eBay that won't work well.

That's a really good point to bring up mate. There is so much fake stuff out there.

Marc

Another valid question is where was the glue bought? There's knock off glue about on eBay that won't work well.

EXCELLENT point, Chris!!   Please note that there are certain online sellers (including Europe) that are selling FAKE E-6000.  The genuine product is clearly marked Made in the USA, and has a batch number on each tube.  They do not sell to distributors in China or Hong Kong, so if you order from a seller there, it is probably not the real stuff. If you have any doubts, you can contact the manufacturer at www.eclecticproducts.com, and they will let you know where to get it.  The fake stuff is garbage.

I'm doing most of what people are recommending, except scuffing the area. I'll do that on the pieces I resand. Most of the areas that unglued are ones that are receiving unusual stress from wrapping around my large limbs. For example, the thigh pieces I had to shim out 6 inches, and that made the front bend at a strange angle. The glue stayed for the most part, but was rather fragile, a good bump and riiip, the glue came apart. I'm wondering if I can morph the way the armor bends, so there's less stress on glued joints. Will post pictures a bit later.

I also wonder if climate had an effect. I glued them in a very dry, arid area (Utah), then went to a humid area (California). Went to Disneyland for the Trick Or Treat night with my family. My forearms seemed to be glued just fine, but by the end of the night, two of the joints just undid themselves. No real stress, they just peeled apart at a touch.

-shnar

I keep a small roll of white duct tape in my "emergency repair" kit just in case.  Haven't had to use it yet, but better to be prepared...