Build supply list

Neb Sgird

Edit: I'm going to put this at the top because I've had some issues. DO NOT EDIT THE TAB LABELED NEB'S BUILD. I am using it to track my expenses on this build and what I still need to acquire. I've edited the document to hopefully avoid this in the future, but if I have more problems with this, I'll unfortunately have to make the file read only. I want to leave this open for everyone, so don't do it! Thanks guys *end edit*

Hey all! I'm about to start my first build (woot!) and I'm currently scrounging up all the materials I need. That means tools, supplies, and of course, gear! I started a google doc to keep track of what I have and don't have, and to help me see the scary final figure of how much this might end up actually costing me. I'm using it to keep track of where to things are cheapest (a penny saved is a penny earned) and what I still need to get my hands on. I figured it could be helpful for anyone else that feels as lost as me So...here's the link! 

Click here for the doc

Anyone in the same boat as me, feel free to copy the list from the first tab and paste into a new tab within the doc, and you can go from there. Just please please please don't change anything on my tab! Also, props to justjoseph63 for his original supply list, which I used in building the doc. It can be found here.

I'm also posting this for purely selfish reasons: I have questions! I'm still not 100% sure what all comes with the AP kit I ordered. For now, I just ordered the basic untrimmed TK kit from AP, which I know comes with a strapping system. On his list, Joseph mentions elastics, straps, line 24 snaps, and rivets. All of that comes with the AP kit, right? Am I missing anything?

Any input would be fantastic! If anyone sees any supplies I might have missed on the doc, please do let me know. Also, if you know of somewhere that sells something cheaper than what I've noted without sacrificing quality, please let me know! I'm trying to scrounge up money for my wife's Boushh costume as well. I've already learned a lot from the community here and I'm excited to officially join the club. Expect a build thread from me once my big brown box arrives!

Edited by Neb Sgird
  • Like 1

You are wise to start getting your supplies ready early, Ben.  Nothing worse than having to stop in the middle of things to go to a store!  In the U.S., there are 2 places you can purchase really inexpensive supplies such as Dremel type tools (with attachments), painter's tape, clamps of all sizes, sanding blocks, razor knife, blades etc.  They are Harbor freight (7 in Utah: http://www.harborfreight.com/storelocator/location/map?lat=28.0561610000&lng=-81.7780310000&change=1&radius=100&state_input=fl) and Northern Tool:  http://www.northerntool.com/

Don't let the inexpensive prices fool you.  I have several tools from them that I use in my remodeling business that have held up great for years.

I'm not sure what supplies AP sends with their kit, but hopefully someone can provide that info. for you.  I personally don't know of any maker that supplies snaps with their kit, but if they don't, just be sure NOT to buy them at Wal-Mart.  Trust me on this....  I did that to save a few bucks and ended up having to replace every single one.  Stick with a known brand, such as Tandy.  

How many sets of magnets were you planning to get? I would recommend at least 10 sets. I'm using 3/4"x1/8" N52 magnets. Very strong. <br>

I would also recommend a minimum of 10 spring clamps. I got mine at Harbor freight for $0.94 each, plus I used a coupon. Fortunately for me, there's a HF literally 5 minutes from my house.

How many sets of magnets were you planning to get? I would recommend at least 10 sets. I'm using 3/4"x1/8" N52 magnets. Very strong. <br>

I would also recommend a minimum of 10 spring clamps. I got mine at Harbor freight for $0.94 each, plus I used a coupon. Fortunately for me, there's a HF literally 5 minutes from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. Tapatalk betrayed me. I plan to buy 2-3 sets. 30-ish magnets. I won't have a large workspace, so I won't be able to do more than one piece of armor at a time anyway. I plan to go to harbor freight in the next week, I've heard they're cheap and they're doing a sale in my area on top of that. So far I've just been price checking online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads-up on the magnets.. if you go with the 3 mm x 20 mm as on your list, a total of 20 should suffice.  Anything thinner than that and you will need to double up.  A few more hints..

1.  When separating them, slide them apart.  They can break a fingernail.

2.  Wrap each one in blue painter's tape.  Otherwise, they can scratch your armor.

3.  Try to keep the separated when not in use.  These things are SUPER strong, and not easy to pry apart.

4.  Try not to drop them on a hard surface, as they can shatter. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...