Two for the price of one - Alay and Nosferachew make HWT backpacks!

Alay

Hey all, figured I'd start up a thread while waiting for parts to ship. My husband and I will be making HWT backpacks.

I'm going to roughly use the build pattern laid out by Ukswrath because it's awesome.

So far storage contains, oil pans, and antennae are inbound. We'll be doing a lot of the work at an armor party next weekend :)

Since there's no pictures yet, I thought I'd start it off with a question; has anyone plasti-dipped the backpacks before scuffing/weathering? It might give a really neat texture.

• Like 3

WOW!  HWTs are coming out of the woodwork... and I'm glad to see it!!  I would not recommend Plasti-Dipping the packs, though.  I actually tried it on one of the spare storage containers after priming and painting it just for a laugh.. (I like to experiment)..  It really didn't make that much of a difference, to be honest, and may affect your HWT approval.  Have a blast on your build(s), and be sure to post up some pics!!

• Like 1

Might give that a try on a box as well. Definitely don't want to mess with approval though.

Already doing both is paying off... look at what was $3 for 2 at Target? :P

uNhurUs.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we're done with my husband's TK, it's time to get to work on this.

I have nearly everything needed except tapered cups... any suggestions on something I could nab on Amazon or something?

ShHUWrs.jpg

5bitiRZ.jpg

FlyMKNe.jpg?1

I got these flat caps for the ends... I don't have a dremmel, how should I go about opening up the bottom? I'm thinking I drill a bunch of holes in a circle until it pops out?

Does the CRL implicitly state they have to be open at the top and bottom? Or would these caps as is work?

uieQBMi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For tapered cones i just found tapered drinking cups at a resale shop that i could fit into each other and looked right. <br><br>

My end caps are open on my tube, i had the luxury of having a friends work shop with this amazing saw available. I don't remember what it is called, but i made my cut lines with marker, while the end caps were attached to the tube, then cut the caps off. It was such a clean cut that it looked almost as if the end caps were apart of the tube itself.

• Like 2

My end caps are open, but I do not think it matters.

For my cones, I actually found a good source at Hobby Lobby.  They are made out of a very thick cardboard and they hold up great.

I'll have to take a look!

This build hasn't gone much of anywhere yet, as I (like an idiot) dipped my thumb in boiling water while trying to warp the ABS shoulder bridges.... been waiting for this nasty painful burn to heal before going further, and getting a heat gun/proper gloves.

Hoping to get some progress done this weekend and over turkey time off :)

Forward progress!

MvyMpBs.jpg?1

I can finally feel sensation in my thumb again too! I bought some extremely heat resistant gloves so I'll never be silly again.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys :)

Just starting back on this today after a bit of delay.  I have the two boxes built and and ready to be painted/have trimming added.  I also just spray painted the first coat onto the sanitizing wipes rolls, trying to get those done today.

Hoping to start getting the oil pan situated later today!

unwNYKn.jpg?1

Y8Hle32.jpg?1

Edited by Alay

Masking tape pulled the damn paint off the wipes tube... trying again!

Did get these radios glued up and ready to paint today though!

fQbvqEH.jpg?1

Edited by Alay

Took about three tries but I finally got the masking tape to not grip the paint too hard.  Had to sand the crap out of them, and I ran the tape on my cotton pants about 6 times to make them "less sticky", if that makes sense...

njlbzFK.jpg?1

Radios and tube thingies done.  Now onto the box thingies! :)

if anyone wants the PSD template I used to print out and cut the radio faces, it's here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0ggxpxygrdcu6a/radio.psd?dl=0

Just print it at 100% scale, clamp or tape to the black material you're going to be using, then cut along the lines with a razor and you're good to go!

Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

if anyone wants the PSD template I used to print out and cut the radio faces, it's here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0ggxpxygrdcu6a/radio.psd?dl=0

Just print it at 100% scale, clamp or tape to the black material you're going to be using, then cut along the lines with a razor and you're good to go!

Great idea.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I find if I use Plasti Dip on the white tubes that the paint does not pull off of the plastic.

Good to know!  I'll try it on the plastic lunch box-bits that we still need to finish up and report back

Forward progress. Glued the backings on, plasti-dipped them, them painted them black. Also added on the buttons for the first boxes

92cetBL.jpg?2

Vented boxes all set. Not 100% happy with how they sit, but it will do I reckon.

XwdILGp.jpg?1

And found these at Target that seem to fit the size specs...

IQ7BnFh.jpg?1

• Like 1

I guess I could have shown you this before, but I found the 4 buttons in black on Amazon.  No painting required.

See link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8I6YLH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

I guess I could have shown you this before, but I found the 4 buttons in black on Amazon.  No painting required.

See link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8I6YLH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Useful for the future! I'll include it in the start of my thread in case anyone is sourcing from my links.

Painting them wasn't too bad either way, managed to get away with only one tiny pack for $1 at home depot too :) Although my white-furred cat seems to love getting her fur on anything painted black...