Switching gears

Slayer6769

I just very recently received my AM 2.0 kit (thanks MightyTank!) and have started my first build. My original plan was to build ANH stunt and to try and take it to centurion level from the beginning. Or at least that is what I was shooting for. <br>

After reading the CRLs a bit deeper, I realized AM 2.0 chest and back do not qualify for centurion and must be replaced. As I am in admiration of the craftsmanship and artistry of this kit, I do not want to replace any of the original parts. So as I understand the CRLs, this kit does qualify for centurion as a ESB. <br>

I'm not pressed about switching gears at all really. I have already painted the frown on my helmet gray, but that's a easy fix. <br>

I do prefer the gray frown over the black, but I'm not in love with the difference really. <br>

If anyone can post or PM me how the heck I can post pictures from my android phone on this thread, I would like to share my progress with everyone. As much as this is my build, it also belongs to all of you here at the FISD. Because without your help and guidance, this would pro never have began. <br>

Let's get our ESB trooper on!!

Actually, they have updated them, Ron, so you should be good to go.  Just to make sure, I would post some photos of the pieces in question just to make sure.  For posting pics, I am not sure how to do that from an Android, but you could always open up a free Photobucket account.  Once you download the pics to that it's pretty easy.  If you decide to go that route, just PM me and I can explain the details.

• Like 1

Is the problem the original AM chest (1.0?) that's referred to in the CRL, and Am 2.0 is now good to go?

Just curious... AM 2.0 was on my list of possible future suits, but not if parts are not approvable to Level 3.

Actually, I believe it's been over a year since the new ones were approved.  Perhaps Tony or Andrew could weigh in on this.

It's fine really, I will just make a ESB. I'm not at all pressed about it. I actually thought of doing a ESB originally because of all the movies ESB is my favorite. <br>

I painted my ears today for ESB. Took me a while to do free handed, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. <br>

I also started my forearms. I did the left first and taped it together. Took quite a bit of time. I only trimmed a little at a time and then test fitted. I kept repeating until I had what I wanted. Being a shorter guy, I also had to trim the length as well. The right didn't take near as long. I pretty much copied my left, so it went much faster. <br>

I try and post pics later from photobucket as you suggested Joseph. And I posted on your thread, I did receive the rivet sets today. Thank you very much!!

I may do a thread showing how I paint. I don't claim to be a professional or anything, but I'm pretty happy with my results. That coming from a self proclaimed "perfectionist". Lol!! I use to build alot of models and learned some tricks along the way that may be useful to someone else.

On 10/14/2016 at 11:02 AM, Slayer6769 said:

Ok, I'm a little confused. I've looked but I can't tell if you put a strap on your forearm pieces to attach to the upper arm or what. And if so. Do you use snaps and straps or what? Could someone bail me out here please???

Try this:-----------------

You can use industrial velcro, or just glue elastic directly to the plastic.  Or make snap connectors.  The possibilities are limitless. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 2

I haven't been able to work on my TK last several days or at least any work of any real progress. Life has kept me away and I will be out on a mini vacation next few days out of town. So once I get back in to the swing of things, I will make some progress posts.

• 2 weeks later...

New lesson learned yesterday. I found out why it is recommended using E6000. I made a mistake and didnt catch it until after my glue had dried. A little careful prying and I was easily able to correct my mistake. Clean up of the old glue was fairly easy as well. Replies and I'm back in business. I'm loving E6000!!

• Like 1

Ok, I got my forearms and biceps finished. Well except for the cover strips anyways. I'm probably going to do covers trips on most everything last. I started my right thigh, which has been a ordeal.<br>

I had some issues with the bucket, mostly my own fault. But I stepped back and regrouped, done some research and watched some good videos. In the videos, these guys were just moving right along building their helmets. Me, not so much.I just finished replacing a couple screwed up decals and then trying to get the face lined up where I wanted it. I found out in a previous attempt that the screw dimples are not a very good guide. So I clamped the face and tweaked it here and there, until I finally got it where I wanted it. I got two screws on either side and I'm happy with how it sits. I did reference plenty of pictures from the movie to get what I was wanting. I then test fit the ears to get a idea of what I was going to need to do to get them mounted with minimal gap, but didn't get any farther. I needed a break. Lol!<br>

On another note, I did play around the other day with making my own flat lenses. I'm not a big fan of the lens sheet that came with my helmet. I think it's too thin. But, I found something that's not only plenty thick, but it's also easily cut and very flexible. So I think it will be just the ticket.

I've learned a great deal so far doing this. Makes me want to do another build after I finish this one. I think things will be much smoother a second time. <br>

If anyone is reading this and your doing your first build or are planning a first build, I highly recommend doing research and looking at pictures and videos if available for each and every step of the way. Doing so will save you some grief later.

• Like 1

New lesson learned. I was working on fitting my ears to the helmet and was having difficulty getting them to fit like I wanted. Needless to say I was getting aggravated. I finally just quit and decided to try again later. So I briefly worked on one of them this morning. And what do you know, everything went smoothly. <br>

So the lesson is if your having difficulty or getting aggravated, just stop and step away. Try again later with a fresh mind.

• 6 months later...