FX Armor

Cbass59

Came across someone selling FX Armor that was already cut, trimmed and put together (doesnt come with a bucket) for under $500. Sounds to good to be true, but i did a search on the forum and didnt find much on FX armor, aside from they dont make it, it looks good, but not accepted by 501st. I would like some clarification before I go and by the armor only to find out its wasted money.

1. Buying a preassembled kit is a crap shoot. Unless the seller is your long-lost twin, it will likely not fit you and you will need to make some adjustments. Depending on how the kit was put together, that may or may not be possible.

2. FX armor is, by and large, obsolete. It is certainly inaccurate by today's standards. While at one point in the not-so-distant past it was the backbone of the Legion (and there are still plenty of older members who troop in their FX kits), that is no longer the case.

It would help to provide a link to the sale. A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

• Like 1

So it looks as if you have a major decision to make, Sebastian.  You can purchase this armor, and take a (slim) chance on getting a 501st approval, or choose one of the vetted makers on here.  Here is the lowdown:

1.  Choose a "vetted" armorer, build it to specs, get approved by the 501st, and get Trooping with your local Garrison (or Squad).  (Not as hard as you would think, especially with our help);

2.  Go with an eBay seller and take your chances.  (Not good, but not impossible).

Like Brian said, FX armor is pretty much obsolete.  There are many out there who are still rocking it, but It is not approvable at the higher levels, (EIB and Centurion) which I hope you will be aiming for.

• Like 1

I just wanted to clarify thst the armor in the link will be a display in my man cave. And no for trooping.

In that case, it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with it.

There are far better kits which, when including the price of the lid would be cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I loved building my FX kit, in fact, my son is trooping in it at a local school tomorrow to raise awareness of extreme reading, also (excluding the lid) it is clearable

Regards

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

FX armor can be made to Expert Infantry status (I'm the living example). The armor shown on eBay is a good start, even if it's not 100% accurate. In your case, I'd make this armor 501st approved. It's a good practice before building a high standard kit. Also you'd be onboard already, so it's easier to get in touch with the right people. Just my opinion, think of it.

I troop in and display my Anovos, duct tape mannequin w/ PVC skeleton works great, unless you need to troop and display at the same time.

That said, if you're time sensitive not a bad price for a pre-build.

• Like 1