Where to begin?

Where do I begin is a good question. I've read several threads, and have done research aswell, but hopefully I can get a more up to date answer on several questions I have.

I am not a member of the 501st....yet. When the time comes for becoming a 501st I will be purchasing the RS Prop Masters, Stormtrooper kit, since it is highly recommended across this forum. In the mean time, I am looking for a kit that's pre built ready to wear out of the box, doesn't break the bank, and for the most part looks the part (minus the accuracy required for the 501st). Something I can weather, wear, display and have in the man-cave. Does anyone recommend a certain vendor or can point me in the correct direction?

Also weathering / paint blaster marks, does anyone know where I can find a video tutorial of how to do blast marks? Ive seen it done with spray paint, but I don't feel comfortable doing that for a number of reasons. Again any help on that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Personally, if I were to start over, i'd just save the money hard and buy good stuff first time round.

I got caught up in a 'I just want a stormtrooper outfit' mode, bought a set, then had to make loads of mods to it because I couldn't afford a 'decent' kit.

I'd use the extra time to do as much research as possible. I'd even buy a helmet kit first, build that, finish it THEN get the full armour.

Just my 2p :)

Edited by humperdingle

Mark,

I really am in that I want a stormtrooper outfit asap mode. But the reason I was asking for a cheaper variant is, because if I get the higher end correct ones, I feel like I wouldn't weather it, nor add anything to it and try to keep it pristine as possible. I want a cheaper variant for display that I can weather and look extremely battle worn, use a dremill for cutting holes in the armor etc. if I get the higher end, I wouldn't even touch it.

Mark,

I really am in that I want a stormtrooper outfit asap mode. But the reason I was asking for a cheaper variant is, because if I get the higher end correct ones, I feel like I wouldn't weather it, nor add anything to it and try to keep it pristine as possible. I want a cheaper variant for display that I can weather and look extremely battle worn, use a dremill for cutting holes in the armor etc. if I get the higher end, I wouldn't even touch it.

Then i'd still save for a good kit, get it cleared, enjoy trooping in some beautiful, shiny TK kit THEN buy a cheap one to tinker with :D

If would like to keep it to $500 or less, out of the box ready to wear. Id hate to trim a kit and mess something seriously up.

For a screen accurate set, ready to wear out of the box and less than $500??

Not going to happen unfortunately.

Save your $500, have patience and save more money to buy a good recommended armor set. I promise it will work out for you better in the end.

I bought one of those under $500, ready to wear out of box armor sets many years ago and was more than disappointed.

Please learn from my mistake.

Get the DIY kit. There is plenty of enough help here and probably at your closest garrison to help you assemble a kit that you will be proud to own.

I'm assembling my first kit now. I'm not rushing anything, reading and asking questions, looking at pictures and watching YouTube videos. So far all has been well. If I can do it, I'm sure you and anyone else who puts their mind to it can do it as well. Hope this helps!

Damn alright, I guess I'll start saving thanks gentleman

Lol - Why not get the materials together for weathering - brushes, pigments, whatever. Pick up a big sheet of white plastic (probably for nothing, if you ask around retail outlets), and practice the weathering on that? Or even make something cheap in the meantime. I'll be starting on a gonk droid soon, whilst I save for a TK upgrade. Should cost no more than £50 ($60?)