Blooper's AM 2.0 ANH Build

Knee ammo belt.

The middle box should sit level with the bottom of the front cover strip. Single capped rivets were used to secure at either side then a blob of e6000 secured the front to the thigh

d4d839cc190d066b1bf934a507934ceb.jpg

2cb1333f5196ced903b71f03d5450cb3.jpg

b96c667712920907338889eb4b24167e.jpg

Hope this helps.

Marc

• Like 1

Knee ammo belt.

The middle box should sit level with the bottom of the front cover strip. Single capped rivets were used to secure at either side then a blob of e6000 secured the front to the thigh

d4d839cc190d066b1bf934a507934ceb.jpg

2cb1333f5196ced903b71f03d5450cb3.jpg

b96c667712920907338889eb4b24167e.jpg

Hope this helps.

Marc

From what I see my belt will need some minor reshaping, as right now it's in a rough, blocky U shape. For the rivets, would split rivets be workable in place of cap rivets? If not, would cap rivets like these work? https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Double-Rivets-1371-12/dp/B003AU2KZK

Thanks!

EDIT: Should the screws on the thermal detonator be painted black? I have replacements that aren't if need be, but just wanna be sure.

Edited by TheBlooperTrooper

Yes, black TD screws. Some do use split rivets which won't affect centurion applications as far as I'm aware. However, the ideal option would be single cap ones as long as the heads are the sizes posted above, you should be good to go....not sure if you have this info but will post the knee ammo measurements below.

95def09957c5dad6eb4dc1015cc6acf2.jpg

Marc

• Like 1

Yes, black TD screws. Some do use split rivets which won't affect centurion applications as far as I'm aware. However, the ideal option would be single cap ones as long as the heads are the sizes posted above, you should be good to go....not sure if you have this info but will post the knee ammo measurements below.

95def09957c5dad6eb4dc1015cc6acf2.jpg

Marc

Proud to say my belt is trimmed to spec! Thanks for the details on the thigh ammo belt, I'll be sure to use the heck outta it when I get going on the pack ammo belt. The rivets I bought on here from JustJoseph are about 6.8-7 mm or so in diameter, so I'll be using those once I adjust the thighs themselves.

Proud to say my belt is trimmed to spec! Thanks for the details on the thigh ammo belt, I'll be sure to use the heck outta it when I get going on the pack ammo belt. The rivets I bought on here from JustJoseph are about 6.8-7 mm or so in diameter, so I'll be using those once I adjust the thighs themselves.

Joseph is a star! You can't go wrong wrong there!

Marc

• Like 1

Update on progress February 22:

Tonight my dad and I tested the belt out with the webbing connections on the torso and redid the rear strips on the thighs. For the belt test, I wore the torso armor, connected the belt via the snaps, secured it around the back with velcro, and then added the finished thermal detonator hanging between the belt and the armor. It all worked quite well I'm happy to report! For the thighs, we took off both the inner and outer cover strips on both legs. We did some trial and error fitting and testing, and wound up removing 2 cm off of each thigh piece (4 cm total per leg - 8 cm in total). the resulting fit is much more snug, with about a finger's width of space between my leg and the thigh at the absolute most. Tested with the shins to ensure a good fit. Will need to redo the inner belt connection, as where the thighs sit isn't quite right on our first attempt. Aiming to add a sort of parachute buckle to the inner belt to ease this adjustment process in the future. 

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/vnNxfwith highlights below:

rNtOSzh.jpg

Thermal detonator / back part of the belt. Doesn't quite cover the butt plate / kidney seam, but otherwise sits / works fine. Do I need to put the detonator clips between the two velcro pieces, or keep it like it is, behind both?

txF6QOU.jpg

No boots with this, but the thigh and shin seem to line up much better overall. Note that this is still not completely trimmed, but is about 75-80% of what we did, with the difference being 1 or 2 cm.

Looking Good Cameron. The TD Clips are correct the way you have them (over both thickness of material & against your kidney plate)

Great to hear! Will hopefully finish fixing the thighs tonight and glue on the shin sniper knee plate. After that, the only components left to do will be the thigh ammo belt and the padding / wiring of the helmet. I'm close!

Update on progess February 22:

Tonight I had a few setbacks, but nothing major. I did some cleanup work on the torso to fix it. Also, my iComm, aker speaker, and two headsets all arrived today, so I spent some time with that. Hoping to get back on course tomorrow!

Update on progress February 24:

Tonight, we added the outer cover strip to the rear seam of the right thigh, did a mockup test fit of the left shin sniper knee plate, and padded the helmet. For the thigh, it was just a matter of glue and magnets. The magnets are fragmenting quite easily, even when wrapped up. We have enough to finish the build, just not enough to do two parts at once. For the knee plate, we just tried aligning it to the shin. It works moderately well, but is difficult to place exactly. If anyone's got any tips on it, lemme know! Lastly, for the helmet I used the pads recommended above by Stratcat. After some trial and error, we managed to fit it well.

bQChU6D.jpg

Rear thigh piece.

KL7wW4U.jpg

I think it's pretty good as is. Going to use E6000 to allow for a EIB and then Centurion certification if possible.

6V6FZUL.jpg

Padded up! Tried experimenting with Ukswrath helmet fans, but didn't have much success. The bracket proved to get in the way a little too much, so we took the bracket off, leaving the fans, wires, and buttons. Looking into possible rewiring the fans to allow for full adjustment of the cords to keep it out of the way and give room for a battery. At the moment, I'm currently using someting like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ohio-State-University-Portable-Charger/dp/B00L4K1AMM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488001990&sr=8-9&keywords=mobile+phone+charger+2600mah

Different color, but same total power. I have a bigger power brick, but it doesn't quite fit the helmet. Any tips for the helmet wiring / battery?

Looking great Brother Blooper!!!!

I hope I am not too late with a tip...be careful on trimming the "thigh ammo belt" prior to fitting. I ended up having to re-order one myself because when I cut it to the above measurements on the AM armor...it didn't fit / was too short. Hope that helps you avoid the $30 mistake I made (had to order another one). If you have the one I had (kind of "blocky" curve), then fit / clamp it to have the middle pack centered, mark your edge on the left side (looking at the belt), then install at the 6 cm by 6 cm measurement for the rivet, I rounded off the edges like this:

Measured to the center of the vertical length / mark...measure the same over from the edge...then used a roll of electrical tape and put it on the marks, traced to it, then cut on the line...left me with a nice even / properly rounded bottom edge.

20170218_100353_zpsgzkxoe2a.jpg

20170223_183507_zpsushwit57.jpg

20170218_100415_zpsfhzaimpd.jpg

Hope this helps!

Looks awesome!!!

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 1

Looking great Brother Blooper!!!!

I hope I am not too late with a tip...be careful on trimming the "thigh ammo belt" prior to fitting. I ended up having to re-order one myself because when I cut it to the above measurements on the AM armor...it didn't fit / was too short. Hope that helps you avoid the $30 mistake I made (had to order another one). If you have the one I had (kind of "blocky" curve), then fit / clamp it to have the middle pack centered, mark your edge on the left side (looking at the belt), then install at the 6 cm by 6 cm measurement for the rivet, I rounded off the edges like this:

Measured to the center of the vertical length / mark...measure the same over from the edge...then used a roll of electrical tape and put it on the marks, traced to it, then cut on the line...left me with a nice even / properly rounded bottom edge.

20170218_100353_zpsgzkxoe2a.jpg

20170223_183507_zpsushwit57.jpg

20170218_100415_zpsfhzaimpd.jpg

Hope this helps!

Looks awesome!!!

When you say 6 x 6 c m measurement, is that of the vertical length of the belt? Mine is about 6-6.1 cm tall. For the rivet, I saw on another build it was about a cm from the top and a cm from the side. Lastly, for the curve, just for clarification, you measured halfway on the height and made a mark there, and did the same distance from the bottom to the side to get the curve right? 

I got the rounded edge variant. Had to email TK Armor about it, as my kit came without a thigh belt entirely. He pre-bent it into a rough shape. 

Hopefully will get to it tonight! Installed / glued on the sniper knee plate and adjusted the height on the thighs with the inner belt to sit better.

Thanks!

good catch...yes...it is 10mm (1 cm) for the rivet hole.

Yes, you got it...measure half the width, then "match that measurement on the horizontal leg...then just put the roll of whatever on the lines, trace and cut. 

I installed that side first (the left, looking at the armor)...then just clamped the right side and drilled it to fit. 

Really impressed a the build! You are really doing awesome!

Jon

• Like 1

good catch...yes...it is 10mm (1 cm) for the rivet hole.

Yes, you got it...measure half the width, then "match that measurement on the horizontal leg...then just put the roll of whatever on the lines, trace and cut.

I installed that side first (the left, looking at the armor)...then just clamped the right side and drilled it to fit.

Really impressed a the build! You are really doing awesome!

Jon

Thanks! Your build looks like knocked it out of the park!

Thanks man! 

Don;t think I wasn't peeking in getting tips from you also! I just move fast and have a very understanding wife / kids. they left me to my workbench and my build! Haha!

• Like 1

Thanks man! 

Don;t think I wasn't peeking in getting tips from you also! I just move fast and have a very understanding wife / kids. they left me to my workbench and my build! Haha!

Likewise on the tips. Thankfully I have a very handy dad who has helped me through this entire process!

Update on progress February 26:

Tonight, we did what I hope is the final glueups / riveting for basic approval!

We started by fixing the inner belt with parachute clips to make the height of the thighs fully adjustable if needed. We then lined up the sniper knee plate on the shin and glued it up as well. We rounded out the evening by gluing on the final cover strip on the outside rear of the left thigh, trimming the right thigh ammo belt, and riveting it in place. I had some very patient but precise help from Stratcat (He has gone above and beyond in helping me with this.) on placing the belt. I'm satisfied with the result, but left the rivets unpainted out of both running out of steam and not being completely sure if they were placed correctly.

If everyone's happy with all these improvements, and the rest of the armor holds up, I submit for basic approval tomorrow! 

hkRNSsC.jpg

Knee plate! I know I need a side view, but I'll leave that to tomorrow when the clamps aren't in the way quite as much.

Nt09Y9d.jpg?1

What I hope is my last cover strip!

BQIft98.jpg?1

Right thigh! Used Stratcat's advice and Ukswrath instructions to set the thigh pieces with some minor bending / adjustment with a heat gun. 

2kjiCpW.jpg

On the right side of the photo, I'm concerned about how much of the belt is poking away from the thigh piece. If I were to remove that side's rivet and pull it in / bend it in, I'd have to trim a little bit more off of that end, which worries me slightly. Input appreciated!

Tonight, we did what I hope is the final glueups / riveting for basic approval!

We started by fixing the inner belt with parachute clips to make the height of the thighs fully adjustable if needed. We then lined up the sniper knee plate on the shin and glued it up as well. We rounded out the evening by gluing on the final cover strip on the outside rear of the left thigh, trimming the right thigh ammo belt, and riveting it in place. I had some very patient but precise help from Stratcat (He has gone above and beyond in helping me with this.) on placing the belt. I'm satisfied with the result, but left the rivets unpainted out of both running out of steam and not being completely sure if they were placed correctly.

If everyone's happy with all these improvements, and the rest of the armor holds up, I submit for basic approval tomorrow!

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/vnNxfwith highlights below:

hkRNSsC.jpg

Knee plate! I know I need a side view, but I'll leave that to tomorrow when the clamps aren't in the way quite as much.

Nt09Y9d.jpg?1

What I hope is my last cover strip!

BQIft98.jpg?1

Right thigh! Used Stratcat's advice and Ukswrath instructions to set the thigh pieces with some minor bending / adjustment with a heat gun.

2kjiCpW.jpg

On the right side of the photo, I'm concerned about how much of the belt is poking away from the thigh piece. If I were to remove that side's rivet and pull it in / bend it in, I'd have to trim a little bit more off of that end, which worries me slightly. Input appreciated!

I wouldn't worry about that thigh belt pulling like that at all, quite normal. I must confess that my own OCD caused me to redo it until it was just about flush. Looks good my man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stratcat96
  • Like 1

This is a screen-used reference photo courtesy of ukswrath

6D85E89A-2F10-44E9-9DD2-96CB99628AD4.jpg

Ukswrath said regarding the thigh ammo pack "The front of the ammo belt will not be centered with the cover which is normal." This is considering that it is mounted equidistant on both sides in the rear. There are Centurion approved TKs with the pack both ways. Take that as one will, but this is the basis of the advice given to Cameron about that pack alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stratcat96
  • Like 1

I do believe it's have FINISHED! (For basic approval)

After a few long months, I have met all the requirements for basic. For the following photos: I know I need to adjust the strapping on the arms a bit to be more even, mainly the right forearm. For the helmet, I cannot lower it. I have a giraffe neck and it's brushing the top of my head. On the bright side, giraffe trooper!

EDIT: I've officially submitted to my GML and filled out the signup form on the 501st website. Forgot to mention that last night!

I'd like to thank the following: Stratcat, who gave me advice from the very first troop I helped with up to today on the final steps of the process, NavajoBro, whose AM 2.0 guide was instrumental in the building of my kit, Scott (FISD name unknown), from my local garrison, who was my initial contact with the 501st in person, who gave me some very foundational tips on building my kit, and lastly, my dad. Without him this entire process would've easily taken twice if not three times as long. He helped me get familiar with all the necessary tools for the first time ever, guiding me through the process and also learning a great deal about it himself. 

Pics for the build still at http://imgur.com/a/vnNxfwith the submission photos at 

dkbZxnL.jpg

MZIc4UI.jpgmdMRmwP.jpgzpjzLB4.jpglxnNzbb.jpguPbbGJm.jpguLWSRzA.jpgJ5EueYL.jpgxOE4Eg0.jpg5HvqmZZ.jpg

EDIT: I've officially submitted to my GML and filled out the signup form on the 501st website. Forgot to mention that last night!

Edited by TheBlooperTrooper
  • Like 1

Looking good Brosef!!!!!!

Great job! 

Nothing like a fresh set of AM 2.0 armor to get the heart going! 

Really, really great build young fella! 

Go get that approval and get your 501st ID!

• Like 1

Since I'm also doing an AM 2.0, I've been watching your build closely.  Congrats on reaching the conclusion!  Hope my build goes as smoothly as yours.  (Oh, hey -- can I borrow your dad for a while...?)

A.J.

• Like 1