Blooper's AM 2.0 ANH Build

100th post in the thread, woo!

Update on progress January 22:

Today we worked on tapering the top torso pieces, trimming and gluing the right forearm, adding the second strap to the shoulder bells, adding snaps to the front ab piece, removing the stencils on the ab buttons, and touching up the ab buttons as needed. The torso pieces might need more tapering, but it's a start!

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith highlights below:

j6r08GB.jpg

Left view of the upper torso.

vixLDzN.jpg

Right view of the upper torso.

mXszvZf.jpg

Painted ab buttons! I know the right one needs a little work, but the stencil proved to be a bit of an issue, and I did what I could without it.

100th post in the thread, woo!

Update on progress January 22:

Today we worked on tapering the top torso pieces, trimming and gluing the right forearm, adding the second strap to the shoulder bells, adding snaps to the front ab piece, removing the stencils on the ab buttons, and touching up the ab buttons as needed. The torso pieces might need more tapering, but it's a start!

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith highlights below:

j6r08GB.jpg

Left view of the upper torso.

vixLDzN.jpg

Right view of the upper torso.

mXszvZf.jpg

Painted ab buttons! I know the right one needs a little work, but the stencil proved to be a bit of an issue, and I did what I could without it.

Looking good!

Marc

• Like 1

Update on progress January 23:

Today, my dad and I added snaps to the biceps, sealed the right forearm (for the final time!), added snaps to the kidney plate (connections to the back plate to come soon!), and added two elastic snap connections to the front of the torso for a rough fit. 

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith highlights below:

b7OLqYx.jpg

Snap connections from the biceps to the shoulder bells. The shoulder bell connections should come in the next few days, and then the forearm pieces. 

6J0dOex.jpg

Right forearm sealed up completely! It's slightly large on my arm, but will work overall.

7mbJTBw.jpg

Front torso test fit. Needs some work, but it appears to work well enough to start!

• Like 1

Update on progress January 24:

Had some issues today, but managed a test fit with the kidney piece as well. Need to adjust the ab piece slightly lower to allow for breathing room, but otherwise it fit okay. Kidney piece was trimmed and fits well on its on, with two snaps that we added yesterday connecting it to the top back plate. We also added snap pieces to the shoulder bells to connect to the biceps. Connections to come in the next few days, as well as from the biceps to the forearms. Lastly, we added one snap to the butt piece in the middle of it in preparation for adding snaps later. The outer snaps will come once the kidney and ab pieces are secured together better. Do the kidney and ab pieces have to line up at their tops? If so, I might need some slight gap in the back of my torso piece to allow for the kidney to match the drop.

Side note: My helmet arrives tomorrow! The build was used as a video tutorial on how to build an AM 4.0 Stunt Helmet by the extraordinary Eric of Stormtrooper Ranch!

Imgur album link changed! Photos are still visible, but the new album collection will be at http://imgur.com/a/vnNxf

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/vnNxfwith highlights below:

HTcLH4q.jpg

Using fish tank rocks to weigh down the shoulder bell snaps. My dad is a MAJOR fish guy, so we had these in abundance.

vpsYk0c.jpg

Front view. Adjusted the inner snaps a bit to hopefully make a better fit. Needs to be lowered about an inch or so to fit decently enough.

dNxIUi3.jpg

Rear view. Proud of the small gap, but it might need to be extended to accommodate the lower ab piece.

4318GQN.jpg

Right side view. It lines up, but we didn't add snaps just yet out of hesitation for further adjustments.

Edited by TheBlooperTrooper

The helmet arrived! Woohoo!

NonDjHj.jpg

Fits nicely well with zero adjustment!

vAK26xm.jpg

It came prepadded! I'll have to adjust this some for height. With zero padding in, it fits my head height-wise almost perfectly!

7TzJO9B.jpg

Autographed by the man himself! Eric is the best!

• Like 1

Update on progress January 25:

Didn't have much time this evening, but some work got done nonetheless. The final arm cover strip was added, and snap plates were placed on the biceps and one of the two forearms in preparation for their connection. Spent the rest of the time messing around with the helmet. This thing is too much fun even on its own. Big work coming up, connections to the arms as well as sanding / dremmeling them should be finished by the end of the weekend! Torso needs minor adjustment, but is similarly well on its way. Thighs are just waiting on a chance to be sized with the torso. The shin pieces need gluing and adjustment, but that is a later step after I finish the torso and thighs. 

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/vnNxfwith a small highlight below:

mydaHsn.jpg

Where do aspiring TKs come from? TK mothers!

Update on progress January 26:

Had next to no time to work today, but did some planning. Added the last snap plate to the right forearm. In the coming days, the plan is to make the elastic connections for the arms, glue on the new silicone hand guards I got from FISD, adjust the ab and kidney pieces, and add torso snaps. After that, the belt will be next, with the thigh sizing to follow, and the shins to glue up and finish. Holy cow, FINISH! The finish line is in sight! 

Questions for the experts:

How does the white elastic band that overlaps the shoulder ridges attach to the top back plate?

Is it okay to have a gap between the back plate and the kidney piece? At the current spot, there is zero gap, but the ab piece is likely needing to be lowered about an inch to be properly sized, and the kidney with it.

Is the thermal detonator attached by slipping it behind the canvas belt touching the kidney, or in the middle of the canvas belt?

Thanks!

Looking good Cameron. Yes, do heat bend (hot water bath) those ABS shoulder straps., also, you might want to to consider doubling up the snaps for your shoulder straps ... they carry the load, not the abs straps, so you want them good and secure. :duim:

• Like 1

Oh, and some answers to your questions....

Aim for no gap between your back and kidney plates. You can do it.

The TD clips go over the entire thickness of the canvas belt against the kidney plate.

• Like 1

Looking good Cameron. Yes, do heat bend (hot water bath) those ABS shoulder straps., also, you might want to to consider doubling up the snaps for your shoulder straps ... they carry the load, not the abs straps, so you want them good and secure. :duim:

I know they'll need bending, but they actually sit quit well with minimal force applied. I will definitely try and upgrade the inner snaps on them though, good idea!

Oh, and some answers to your questions....

Aim for no gap between your back and kidney plates. You can do it.

The TD clips go over the entire thickness of the canvas belt against the kidney plate.

That no gap on the kidney and back plate is a huge goal. I will be doing a full test of the torso and arms tomorrow, so that should set up any final necessary changes. Thanks for the tip on the TD clips, that simplifies things!

Update on progress January 27:

Tonight we added strapping to all the arms and connected them to the main torso pieces. Added the neck seal, helmet, gloves, and blaster for an upper torso test fit that I think went rather well.

XzYAFjA.jpg

I know my left (camera right) shoulder bell is off, but that was because it twisted back. It's an easy fix if the strapping is slightly adjusted.

xONM2NZ.jpg

I have a sizable neck.... Back view with a small portion of the webbing showing.

TIuoQzT.jpg

Action pose!

I know they'll need bending, but they actually sit quit well with minimal force applied. I will definitely try and upgrade the inner snaps on them though, good idea!

That no gap on the kidney and back plate is a huge goal. I will be doing a full test of the torso and arms tomorrow, so that should set up any final necessary changes. Thanks for the tip on the TD clips, that simplifies things!

If you can extend the elastic shoulder bridges then this will help the back plate drop down a little. Also I'd look at removing some of the return edge on the neck part of the back plate.

Marc

Edited by CTID

If you can extend the elastic shoulder bridges then this will help the back plate drop down a little. Also I'd look at removing some of the return edge on the neck part of the back plate.

Marc

Hadn't thought about that as much, but thanks! Working on finishing the fitting to the torso now, and hopefully adding a few snaps today.

Update on progress January 28:

Today my dad and I finished the sizing of the torso. Took a bit of work, but it's sized! We added snaps to connect the butt plate and the kidney piece, added split rivets and elastic connections to the kidney piece, and made holes for the ab piece rivets. The plan for the next few days is to add the snap connections to the right side of the kidney and ab pieces, connect the rivets and elastic on the left side to the ab plates, and to connect the butt plate to the ab piece.

Quick question: On the butt plate, is the square trimmed off or just has its edges rounded? Photo is below.

Shout out to JustJoseph63 for the amazing rivets!

l9rQpkD.jpg

Used a 3" piece of elastic, plastic, and a washer to fully secure the rivets in place. 

BeG8t6w.jpg

Outer view of the kidney piece with rivets in.

Wvd749N.jpg

Should I trim the butt plate like in the original photo, or make the flat cut like suggested in the post?  I took this photo from Navajo Bro's EIB application:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33314-tk-8869-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-am20-537/#entry431719

Not sure about the square part. Someone else will have to chime in. However, I'd get rid of the return edge, otherwise that's gonna cut you in places you won't like!

17301def9c1b8cc71550c25c602a8953.jpgd9de64a21e92f5512943d5de56e7cc31.jpg

Marc

Looks like the square is gone. Whatever happens, this will be a baseline for the final result, thanks!

Here's my back plate too with minimal return

db6201039779d1d30e6d40787ffc889a.jpg

Marc

Will definitely get on that this afternoon / evening. Should be easy enough to remove with a dremel tool.

• Like 1

Update on progress January 29:

Today my dad and I added some roughly made elastic shoulder bands, connected the lower torso on the rivet side, added snaps to the opposite side, and started adding cover strips to the shins in preparation of putting them together. In terms of the butt plate, we're likely just going to round the edges of the square jutting out and attach snaps to that directly. Quick question on snaps: On the butt plate, do the two male snaps face inward or outward, and on the ab piece, is the non functioning outer male snap glued on or set on? Also, in terms of the belt: Mine may or may not be a little long. Will have a better measurement of that tomorrow. If it is too long, do I just fold it over a little bit and hold it down with a staple or glue or something?

X4Y8rUX.jpg

Showing off the back pieces and a little bit of the elastic shoulder piece. I'm pretty happy with the tiny gaps present.

TyKt37E.jpg

Inner view of the left side of the ab and kidney pieces.

7HMxfhS.jpg

Outer view of the left side connection.

zdF7bPk.jpg

Inner view of the right side of the kidney and ab connections.

Here's my snap system.

I went for doubles68af4cae42f59e06f1d390c8afc378a8.jpg

Marc

I considered doubles for a bit on mine, but opted against it just because I didn't see a need for it. If need be I'll reset the snaps like you had them, and possibly cut the left side elastic so it will be detachable snaps instead of a full piece. Time will tell right?
  • Like 1

Update on progress January 30:

Tonight we worked on fully test fitting the torso with the middle pieces fully connected. The sides sat almost perfectly flush, but the kidney piece jutted out a bit from my back. It will likely need to be taken in a bit to work well. We also set two snaps in the butt plate after trimming the square on the end off. It will be tapered down to look better ASAP. Additionally, we glued up the front right thigh cover strip, the right shin rear outer cover strip, and finally repainted the ab buttons (hopefully for the last time.) The ab buttons look just fine if you don't look at them closer than half a foot away, so I'm happy with the overall result.

GtHv072.jpg

Test fit. Once the torso is done, a belt will be worn on the inside of the torso armor with straps looping down to hold the thighs in place. I know it is askew, but that was mostly due to how the belt was twisted around when I put it on. The belt itself is about 2-4 inches too large as is.

KQYuM8p.jpg

Right side view. You can see the torso midpieces are close, but not perfect. I'm hoping to fix that ASAP with some snap work. Also noticable is the gap where the kidney armor is too large and juts out into the air.

Y6OH9Fo.jpg

About a 1-2.5 inch gap depending on the way I situate it. Will need to redo the rivets and snaps on the kidney to eliminate this.

Looking good! The tiny gap at the side of you kidney and ab will be covered once you pull your belt up to sit below the ab button plate

972946003cdfc1f477e2543d641d5d78.jpg

Marc

Hoped that was the case! Once the kidney plate is taken in a bit, the entire process should speed up a bit, with the thighs and shins being quick fixes.

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

Update on progress January 31: 

Today, we redid the lower torso parts completely. We tore up the snap plates, undid the rivet pieces, and did more trimming. We took about 12-13 mm off of each side on the kidney and ab pieces to eliminate much of the gap, and heat formed the edges a little to ensure a better fit. We also glued up the left thigh front cover strip and the outer shin velcro pieces. The belt might take a bit more time, as it will be properly sized for the torso in the coming days and then sewed to adjust. Also, as a heads up: progress will likely slow down for a few weeks as February starts due to my dad going on a business trip. I'll remain active here, but progress will slow down a bit without a second pair of hands to assist with fitting / gluing /sizing etc. I'll be active on here in that time, but might not be able to make as much progress on the build.

F602dbl.jpg

Industrial strength velcro - using the peel off adhesive glue. Has a pretty solid bond, so I'm satisfied for now.

I5tosqN.jpg

Redid the lower torso. The gap is much less noticable overall. There's about a 0.5-1.5 inch gap on the back that I hope to eliminate in the coming days. 

• Like 2