Blooper's AM 2.0 ANH Build

Update on progress January 12:

Today my dad and I started working on the vague fitting of the thighs and lower torso piece. We trimmed an each off of each thigh from the top and tried to find where to situate the ab torso piece to allow for better motion. I'm not quite sure if we need to trim more off of the thighs or just accept the range of motion, as they tend to collide with my knees a lot whenever I try and move more than a foot at a time. Also, completely redoing the exterior cover strips for the arms due to how nice the band saw cuts them compared to our rough cuts. Did half of one forearm and one bicep tonight. Aiming to finish off those two piece, work on the other bicep, and eventually the other forearm once I receive the replacement part I need. 

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith a small highlight below:

PMSOLpb.jpg

This is after taking 1 inch off of the right thigh. Both thighs touch each other a small bit when put on simultaneously. Unsure if this is normal or if I need to trim another half inch or so off. Also, when trying to walk around, the thigh pieces keep kicking the back of my legs, and I'm unsure how they should ride on the knee when upright. Lastly, I'm exploring options to hold up the thighs - debating between a belt under the armor but over the undersuit that would allow some sort of elastic loop or just a simple snap connection between the front of the ab armor and thigh pieces.

Update on progress January 13:

Today I went out to Home Depot and picked up a 50 gallon Husky storage bin. It certainly fufills its purpose, but it barely fits in my trunk as is, so I have to be extra careful. Didn't have much time to do other things today due to work, but my dad and I finished gluing the left forearm, right bicep, and started on the left bicep. 

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith a small highlight below:

yeckpR5.jpg

This thing is BIG

• Like 1

I know some who have purchased the smaller tote then used a separate bag for the helmet. This might be an option for your car.

I'm looking into using a bowling ball bag for the helmet, as it seems to be about the same size. I plan on putting the armor (minus the helmet) and gun into the bin. From what I've seen at the two troops I've helped at it seems quite doable. The bin itself is a perfect fit for my trunk, barring a spare tire that makes me keep it at a slight angle. Aimingto fix that / move the tire so it isn't a major issue down the road.

Lastly, I'm exploring options to hold up the thighs - debating between a belt under the armor but over the undersuit that would allow some sort of elastic loop or just a simple snap connection between the front of the ab armor and thigh pieces.

Definitely use a waist belt with garter straps that connect to the thighs. Not only is it screen accurate, it actually works quite well. Also, strapping the thighs directly to the ab plate puts too much stress on the ab plate, and prevents your legs from being able to move independently of the ab armor. You can either make your own rig, or purchase one from a seller here at FISD such as Pencap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Definitely use a waist belt with garter straps that connect to the thighs. Not only is it screen accurate, it actually works quite well. Also, strapping the thighs directly to the ab plate puts too much stress on the ab plate, and prevents your legs from being able to move independently of the ab armor. You can either make your own rig, or purchase one from a seller here at FISD such as Pencap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm looking into using a parachute buckle on a piece of 1" wide webbing around my waist with some sort of drop fabric to accommodate for the connection. I'm hoping to finish up the torso in the next week or so to make the rest of the process more clear-cut. 

Update on progress January 15:

Today I painted the ab buttons using stencils from Trooperbay to ease the process. My dad and I added snaps for the ridged-shoulder pieces on the torso, on the front and back. We also trimmed some white webbing for use as the connection between the two. Lastly, we started to explore possibilities into adding a D-Ring to the Hyperfirm blaster I got a few weeks ago.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith highlights below:

vYonUc1.jpg

The front torso piece snaps.

zutmwwz.jpg

Female snaps set on the ends of the trimmed webbing

CN0GwpI.jpg

Looking into ways to attach the D-Ring to the Hyperfirm blaster. I have stickers / decals to apply to both ends of the scope and on the ammo counter, but am unsure if I just drill this end and somehow mold the D-Ring into it. Any thoughts?

I drilled a hole where the indentation is on the blaster and then cut the d ring off-center along the top, used pliers to bend it, slid it in the hole in the blaster, and bent it back. Then hid the cut in the d ring in the blaster. Then painted black. If that makes sense.

• Like 1

I fit everything into that tote. I put the shins in the thighs and those inside the body the. The arms down below the crotch. Helmet fits on top of the arms (on the left side) and the tray stays on the right. Even the E-11 fits

• Like 1

I drilled a hole where the indentation is on the blaster and then cut the d ring off-center along the top, used pliers to bend it, slid it in the hole in the blaster, and bent it back. Then hid the cut in the d ring in the blaster. Then painted black. If that makes sense.

That was the going plan, just wanted to be sure!

I fit everything into that tote. I put the shins in the thighs and those inside the body the. The arms down below the crotch. Helmet fits on top of the arms (on the left side) and the tray stays on the right. Even the E-11 fits

Impressive. From what I've seen, local TKs have kept their helmet separate, but the rest all in the bin.

Update on progress January 12:

Today my dad and I started working on the vague fitting of the thighs and lower torso piece. We trimmed an each off of each thigh from the top and tried to find where to situate the ab torso piece to allow for better motion. I'm not quite sure if we need to trim more off of the thighs or just accept the range of motion, as they tend to collide with my knees a lot whenever I try and move more than a foot at a time. Also, completely redoing the exterior cover strips for the arms due to how nice the band saw cuts them compared to our rough cuts. Did half of one forearm and one bicep tonight. Aiming to finish off those two piece, work on the other bicep, and eventually the other forearm once I receive the replacement part I need.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith a small highlight below:

PMSOLpb.jpg

This is after taking 1 inch off of the right thigh. Both thighs touch each other a small bit when put on simultaneously. Unsure if this is normal or if I need to trim another half inch or so off. Also, when trying to walk around, the thigh pieces keep kicking the back of my legs, and I'm unsure how they should ride on the knee when upright. Lastly, I'm exploring options to hold up the thighs - debating between a belt under the armor but over the undersuit that would allow some sort of elastic loop or just a simple snap connection between the front of the ab armor and thigh pieces.

I'd go with a garter system independent from the torso. A belt with either elastic or webbing attached to the thighs. As for the the tops of the thighs, I'd wait until a complete suit up before cutting anymore

Marc

• Like 1

I'd go with a garter system independent from the torso. A belt with either elastic or webbing attached to the thighs. As for the the tops of the thighs, I'd wait until a complete suit up before cutting anymore

Marc

Was debating using the 1" webbing I have excess of with a small amount of elastic or buying the garter here on FISD. I plan on finishing the torso before working on the thighs again.

Was debating using the 1" webbing I have excess of with a small amount of elastic or buying the garter here on FISD. I plan on finishing the torso before working on the thighs again.

It's pretty easy to make one without the expense. I went for 50mm as I wanted to avoid it cutting in. Some use 75mm straps to hold up the thighs. I stuck with 50mm

Marc

It's pretty easy to make one without the expense. I went for 50mm as I wanted to avoid it cutting in. Some use 75mm straps to hold up the thighs. I stuck with 50mm

Marc

What do you mean with those measurements? And by cutting in? Are you talking about how wide the drop down straps should be or how wide the belt should be?

I used this for a belt; it's got a hard plastic inside so it won't flex when the thigh straps are pulling on it.

CS Force Men's Military Tactical Web Duty Utility Combat Belt with Side Release Buckle 1.5 Inch Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RSOYUK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EVvFybGKGK740

I went for 50mm belt, which has less of a tenancy to dig into your waist. And 50mm straps to hold the inside of the thighs up. Make sense?

Regards

Marc

Perfect sense, thanks!

I used this for a belt; it's got a hard plastic inside so it won't flex when the thigh straps are pulling on it.

CS Force Men's Military Tactical Web Duty Utility Combat Belt with Side Release Buckle 1.5 Inch Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RSOYUK2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EVvFybGKGK740

Good idea! Seriously considering this now, thanks!

Update on progress January 16:

Today my dad and I made the connections for the top two torso pieces, which turned out fantastic! Some minor armor bites are present, but they're nothing that can't be easy sanded away. We added two snaps to the lower part of the upper front chest plate to begin prep work for the ab piece. We also repainted the ab buttons with another coat to be safe. Lastly, we added snaps to the tops of the shoulder bells. At the moment we're weighing options on using normal snaps or sew on snaps for the elastic connection to the shoulder connection on the two torso pieces, as we're not sure of the benefits of either, but have both on hand. In the coming days, we plan on adding more snaps to the back torso piece and then moving on to the lower parts of the body.

JA6MMr6.jpg

Showing off the front snap pieces. Would've done more on the torso, but our clamps don't quite reach far enough in on the armor to be of major help.

a4FGEmM.jpg

Showing off the snap connection on the shoulder bells. Even though the white E6000 is there, it's only being used on inside parts that will never see the light of day, sticking with E6000 for those parts.

For some reason Imgur isn't working at the moment, will edit this post if it starts working again.

Update on progress January 17:

Today I tested the shoulder bell snap connections to the main torso. My dad and I placed two male snaps on the underside of the connection strip of the top torso pieces, and then connected a piece of elastic from that to the shoulder bell. We put snaps on all four edges of the shoulder bells in preparation for the cover shoulder strap. We also added two snap connections to the back plate and are in the process of applying velcro to the biceps as a sort of test.

EDIT: Photos inbound!

IqETK9Y.jpg

I know I need to work on my smile and pose, but whatever.... (Super weird arms IK.... The shoulder bell connections work moderately well with the top pieces while they are connected.

sxg5dQF.jpg

Showing the curve of the shoulder connection. Considering both heat forming and elastic bands to remedy this.

B9pCMTH.jpg

Prepped the shoulders for the inner support strap to be added in the coming days.

Edited by TheBlooperTrooper

For some reason Imgur isn't working at the moment, will edit this post if it starts working again.

Update on progress January 17:

Today I tested the shoulder bell snap connections to the main torso. My dad and I placed two male snaps on the underside of the connection strip of the top torso pieces, and then connected a piece of elastic from that to the shoulder bell. We put snaps on all four edges of the shoulder bells in preparation for the cover shoulder strap. We also added two snap connections to the back plate and are in the process of applying velcro to the biceps as a sort of test.

EDIT: Photos inbound!

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith highlights below:

IqETK9Y.jpg

I know I need to work on my smile and pose, but whatever.... (Super weird arms IK.... The shoulder bell connections work moderately well with the top pieces while they are connected.

sxg5dQF.jpg

Showing the curve of the shoulder connection. Considering both heat forming and elastic bands to remedy this.

B9pCMTH.jpg

Prepped the shoulders for the inner support strap to be added in the coming days.

Looking good! You may however want to sand down some of the return edge off the chest and back plates. They should taper. Also I can't see from the shots, so it might just be the angle, but the bells could come in closer to the ribbed shoulder strips.

f01ce4c34370f8c91df3bafcafec93ab.jpg

fcf300baead8bc9eabad203ff74707e3.jpg

Hope this helps

Marc

• Like 1

Looking good! You may however want to sand down some of the return edge off the chest and back plates. They should taper. Also I can't see from the shots, so it might just be the angle, but the bells could come in closer to the ribbed shoulder strips.

f01ce4c34370f8c91df3bafcafec93ab.jpg

fcf300baead8bc9eabad203ff74707e3.jpg

Hope this helps

Marc

Shortening them shouldn't be an issue. Going to hold off on removing the return edges for the time being, as I'm not quite sure about that yet. If need be it can always be fixed later. 

• Like 1

Shortening them shouldn't be an issue. Going to hold off on removing the return edges for the time being, as I'm not quite sure about that yet. If need be it can always be fixed later.

It's probably best to matey!

Marc

Update on progress January 18:

Today my dad and I shortened the connecting straps for the shoulder bells, glued up the right forearm's inner piece with inner support strips, added bicep hooks for the straps on the shoulder bells, and started work on those straps. While the shoulders now appear much better fitting, the white webbing under my torso pieces is being dragged out of place by it. Looking into some sort of remedy for this.

N1wRpQq.jpg

Not the clearest of photos, but it's visible enough. The shoulder bell is dragging the white webbing in such a way that it appears off.

ePHvZzZ.jpg

Showing off the bicep hook on the right forearm. Might need to adjust it slightly for height, but it appears otherwise okay.