Blooper's AM 2.0 ANH Build

Update on progress December 20:

Today we got a few more magnets from Home Depot to aid in sealing up the thigh pieces. We closed up the front of the right thigh, and left it to dry. We also painted the screws on the Thermal Detonator black, and started to size the shins. I think that I will need to trim at least an inch off of both the shins and the thighs to allow them to sit properly on my legs without going too far. They are trimmed properly around, but are just too long to work well. Aiming to get the right thigh sealed up tomorrow or to get the other thigh's long side glued up, as well as applying another layer of paint to the TD screws.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5F with a small highlight below.

W1cunkH.jpg

The left shin piece is shown while I'm wearing a TK boot on that foot. The shine is rubbing its upper end against my knee, and is far too low against the boot. Anyone have any ideas on this one aside from taking off some of the bottom of the shins? If so, how would I go about doing that? Thanks!

Update on progress December 21:

Today my dad and I sealed up the back of the right thigh, repainted the screws of the Thermal Detonator, and did some major cleanup and organizing of our workspace, as it had tools and parts strewn everywhere.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5F 

Will be taking a break from the build to go out of town over Christmas. Will be checking in on here and a few other sites every few hours. Happy Holidays!

Update on progress December 28:

Today we glued up the last of the four inner pieces of the thighs, and took the clamps off of the other thigh piece. Aside from some minor cleanup work where the glue oozed out, it looks good! We also started trimming the torso, mainly around the codpiece. Also trimmed the shoulder pieces that attach to the front torso piece, and trimmed the belt that attaches to the canvas belt on the armor's front. Lastly, we glued up the back piece of the helmet to the top piece. In the coming days, my dad and I plan on finishing any neccessary torso pieces by trimming a few quick details, and then adding all the neccessary snaps.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith highlights below:

KYUbBT4.jpg

The last of the thigh pieces being glued up. I can make moderate steps in them, but they are too tall to be used in conjunction with the shins as both are. Looking into trimming the top and re-adding a return edge somehow, as well as trimming the shins from the bottom once those are fit otherwise.

TDW5grH.jpg

As stated above, started work on the helmet. Looking into working on the front face piece before putting it all together. Doesn't quite seem to line up to the dimples, but with a little squeezing and adjustment the pieces could fit together roughly well.

Hey man great progress and I'm glad my build thread is helping you!  Let me know if you need any specific shots or explanations, I'm always happy to help.

I know a lot of people have had problems with rare earth magnets, pulling them apart is almost impossible if you just try to muscle it off but if you slide them they are easy.  Even without spacers it works, check out this quick video I did a while back to help out my Garrison guys 

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/bro117/media/Armor%20Parties/IMG_5354_zpsgcmfftzd.mp4.html?sort=3&o=121

I'll try to keep an eye on your build in case you need help but shoot me a PM if I don't get back.  I try to pop over on FISD as much as I can but the notifications and "view new posts" never works for me so sometime I miss things :)

• Like 1

Hey man great progress and I'm glad my build thread is helping you!  Let me know if you need any specific shots or explanations, I'm always happy to help.

I know a lot of people have had problems with rare earth magnets, pulling them apart is almost impossible if you just try to muscle it off but if you slide them they are easy.  Even without spacers it works, check out this quick video I did a while back to help out my Garrison guys 

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/bro117/media/Armor%20Parties/IMG_5354_zpsgcmfftzd.mp4.html?sort=3&o=121

I'll try to keep an eye on your build in case you need help but shoot me a PM if I don't get back.  I try to pop over on FISD as much as I can but the notifications and "view new posts" never works for me so sometime I miss things :)

Much appreciated! And the tip with the magnets will definitely come in handy, as once the thigh is done I will have too many to store once again!

• Like 1

Much appreciated! And the tip with the magnets will definitely come in handy, as once the thigh is done I will have too many to store once again!

You can also use small squares of scrap abs as spacers if needed :)

You can also use small squares of scrap abs as spacers if needed :)

I grouped my magnets in pairs and taped them together with masking tape. Along with marking the poles, helped them to avoid smashing. But also meant they wouldn't scratch the abs when removing them

Marc

• Like 1

I grouped my magnets in pairs and taped them together with masking tape. Along with marking the poles, helped them to avoid smashing. But also meant they wouldn't scratch the abs when removing them

Marc

Using a few excess bits of plastic, I kept mine all paired up and divided so that there will be few, if any issues in the future.

Progress update on December 29:

Today, I didn't have a whole lot of time, but began work on the helmet's face. After getting a dremmel tool, I took out the teeth on the mask, and used a little putty to fill in a spot where I cut a tad too much. I then started to attempt to paint the frown after some brief sanding. While the left half of the face turned out okay, the right half had paint stretch around the holes in the mask. Thanks to some quick tips from a local Garrison member, I was fortunate enough to be able to remove most of the excess paint with minimal consequence. I hope to get back on track in the coming days with the whole kit, as all that remains aside from the helmet is the trimming and gluing of the shins before I can begin strapping. Also, the last thigh piece came out glued decently, and the helmet's back and top came out pretty decent as well. I trimmed the brow of the helmet decently, and aim to fix the slant on its ends tomorrow. The helmet needs more securing to be safe, so I plan on adding a few pieces of supporting plastic on the inside to be safe.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5F with a small highlight below:

fLqudhA.jpg

As you can see, the left side appears slightly more normal than the right. This was fixed, but more paint will need to be applied to smooth over what was done today.

Update on progress January 2:

Today we looked over the forearms in preparation for adding their outer cover strips, and discovered that the left forearm needed significant work. We pried it apart, cleaned off the glue, and reapplied some with more magnets so as to not spread the pieces as much this time. We also cleaned up the bicep pieces for cover strip work, and applied one of the two cover strips on the right forearm. Aiming to finish the outer arm cover strips in the coming days, and then get going on the snaps. While it needs minor amounts of velcro, the Thermal Detonator is otherwise ready to go! I'm looking into ways to add the ridged shoulder straps to the torso piece, as the indents are too much to be able to just apply it directly on its own. Also, I ordered some templates to work on the helmet frown easier, as well as the ears. Progress overall is still going steady, but a little slower than I expected. Ah well, it works right?

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5Fwith a small highlight below:

JXOUPRz.jpg

The right forearm with one outer strip attached. The excess glue will be cleaned off after it dries, as it tried to shift a lot when originally applying it.

Update on progress January 3:

Today we worked on trimming down the shins and fitting them. It took a bit of time to understand, but we got the right shin almost complete with the left shin well on the way. Also, took the magnets off of the cover strip on the right forearm, cleaned up the excess glue and mess, and had an overall pretty good result that I'm quite happy with! Aiming to add more arm cover strips in the coming days and finish the shins ASAP. Once the shins are complete, I'll be able to use painter's tape to get a rough test fit, with the exclusion of the helmet, for the entire armor! Might take a few days, but I'm quite excited that real progress is finally starting to show :)

WQx3bM4.jpg

A few minor marks are present, but as it stands I think it will work out alright :)

vMCjOVu.jpg

This was the first time I got the boot to fit under the shin piece while having it properly taped into position. The shins will need height trimming, but it's a solid start! :)

Update on progress January 4:

Today we worked more on refining the forearms and trimming the shins. We fixed the right shin, which had a cover strip glued incorrectly, cleaned it up, trimmed it properly, and reapplied the cover strip on the front right side properly. We also worked on the forearms by cutting out several more cover strips and closing up the seam on the left forearm by using a heatgun to ease the process. We aim to attach more cover strips in the coming days, and fully trim the left shin so we can work on trimming them for height.

TwWKTFU.jpg

Shown on the left side is the right forearm having its second cover strip applied. Tomorrow we'll trim down the excess and use a dremel to smooth out the edges. Shown on the right side is the left forearm with its second seam being sealed. We had to use a heat gun to make sure that the process went smoothly, giving us a much smaller spacing between the two pieces. Tomorrow we'll add the first of the two cover strips to it, as well as starting on the cover strips for the bicep pieces.

• Like 1

Update on progress January 5:

Today we applied both cover strips to the left forearm. The right forearm's second cover strip came out a little odd, and has a gap between one part of the cover strip and the arm plate. We also trimmed the top torso pieces, and attached the ribbed over-the-shoulder pieces. Lastly, we started to trim the ab button pieces. We ran into some issues here, as it would not be flush to the ab armor. I would really appreciate any input on how to fix it up, as I'm at a bit of a loss. Also on the lookout for someone to possibly finish this helmet up for me, as it requires a bit of finesse that I don't quite possess.

Would appreciate any ideas / help!

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5F with highlights below:

gHfNcjM.jpg

Front torso piece!

D2DXIdy.jpg

A noticeable gap in the right forearm's second cover strip.

qEhItdX.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this? Was told to avoid heat guns by a local garrison member, and I'm unsure where to take it from here in regards to this piece.

For the ab plate you should be able to just trim it down a little more until you are about flush with the bump on the armor itself.  Even after the initial cut on the buttom plate you can mark it down some more on each side.  

Here was a shot of mine, it looks like it's overhanging a little but it's basically flush:

0B6FC405-7687-4BCA-AAF0-AA73755B3C20_zps

5C08222D-FE91-46C0-A24E-C1B2221EB36F_zps

I'm actually helping another new member make his AM 2.0 TK right now, I'll be doing some work on it over the weekend.  I'll get some photos of the plate in raw form, trimmed and how we fit it for you :)

• Like 1

For the ab plate you should be able to just trim it down a little more until you are about flush with the bump on the armor itself.  Even after the initial cut on the buttom plate you can mark it down some more on each side.  

Here was a shot of mine, it looks like it's overhanging a little but it's basically flush:

0B6FC405-7687-4BCA-AAF0-AA73755B3C20_zps

5C08222D-FE91-46C0-A24E-C1B2221EB36F_zps

I'm actually helping another new member make his AM 2.0 TK right now, I'll be doing some work on it over the weekend.  I'll get some photos of the plate in raw form, trimmed and how we fit it for you :)

These two images are a godsend! I seriously was terrified that we cut off too much and were going to have to reform an edge or something. After some comparison, you're totally right :) Also, did you keep the return edge on the top of the thighs? Mine are at least a full inch too tall to fit naturally with the torso piece and shins, and I am wondering if I'll need to re-add a return edge.

If you can leave the return edge it's great because it makes the armor look thicker and cooler, lol, but most of us need to trim it because we're shorter then the armor is made for :)

Obviously you can't trim the bottom because of the details so you have to end up trimming the top.  That's fine and won't affect your approval.  I usually end up cutting off most of the top and return edge on these builds.  One thing you can do, is try to leave a little return edge on the outside bottom of each leg, like taper it down from the top and under (between the legs) so it's smaller but from the outside still maintains some of the illusion ;)

I'm not great with photo editing but sort of like this:

thigh_zps7tckju5h.jpg

You could cut off the red areas but possibly leave the stuff on the left in the photo, so when you are wearing it that is the part that sort of sticks out and will give an illusion it is thick

Edited by Navajo Bro
  • Like 1

If you can leave the return edge it's great because it makes the armor look thicker and cooler, lol, but most of us need to trim it because we're shorter then the armor is made for :)

Obviously you can't trim the bottom because of the details so you have to end up trimming the top.  That's fine and won't affect your approval.  I usually end up cutting off most of the top and return edge on these builds.  One thing you can do, is try to leave a little return edge on the outside bottom of each leg, like taper it down from the top and under (between the legs) so it's smaller but from the outside still maintains some of the illusion ;)

I'm not great with photo editing but sort of like this:

thigh_zps7tckju5h.jpg

You could cut off the red areas but possibly leave the stuff on the left in the photo, so when you are wearing it that is the part that sort of sticks out and will give an illusion it is thick

I'll definitely consider this, depending on how much I need to trim off. Still up in the air on it. Aiming to be at this point ASAP, as it'll be a relatively simple fix.

Update on progress January 8:

Today we had a minor emergency with the right forearm. The gap I talked about a few days ago widened, so we took the outer strip off and redid the inner strip. Used a vise grip and rulers to set a flat edge so that the ends would meet properly, and reapplied the inner support strip with a few magnets to seal the deal. We also trimmed the excess parts off of the left forearm and cleaned it up with a dremel tool. Aside from needing straps, it's good to go! We also worked on trimming all the outer cover strips for the biceps, and glued one of them with the magnets we had left. Lastly, we took the clamps off of the over-the-shoulder straps that attach it to the torso, and was happy to see that it came out clean.

m3jvJHZ.jpg

Having trouble figuring out which one of these is the thigh ammo pack. I read on another thread to not use the piece with the pre-cut squares in it, so I started work on the belt piece (In the middle). Is the thigh ammo pack the one on the right? If not, I can't find it anywhere in my kit. Regardless, in the coming days I plan to finally get around to trimming the last piece of the shins, gluing more bicep pieces, and finally finishing the right forearm. 

I had the same question on the belts. I used the one on the right.

(I think I started a thread in this somewhere)

I used the belt in the left for my HWT (no drop boxes and no holster). It's nice to have 2 belts.

D9903D0F-D916-473B-897A-E8696491DEE4.jpg

Are those the only three pieces you got that look like that?  If so it's possible you got two of the "un-notched" belt and no thigh ammo pack.  Although they are very similar the thigh ammo is noticeably smaller.  Here's a shot of our new guys kit I'm helping him with:

IMG_8921_zps7liimdpm.jpg

Thigh ammo is on left (smallest one), two belts on middle and right.  He gives you options on belts, if you do the belt with the recessed "notches" (my photo the one on far right) then you can use the detail parts that fit inside and have raised buttons (like Shea above my post).  If you use the non-recessed belt (my photo middle one) then you can use the non-raised buttons - they come in a strip of three attached, you simply measure and cut them out.

100_0131_zpsmjs0wufj.jpg

100_0135_zpsvk8ue3sx.jpg

Check out this page on my build album (pg 22)

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/bro117/library/TK%20Armor%20Build/Bro%20AM%202%200?sort=3&page=22

If you check out my build thread I detail how I did my belt buttons on the first page, post #8 which is about a third of the way down the screen :)

I think the notched belt serves a purpose in the level scheme but can't think of it off the top of my head.  Like if you are doing Stunt vs Hero or ESB vs ANH/Jedi or something, lol, I'll see if I can remember and edit it in if I find it.

• Like 1

Update on progress January 9: 

Today we trimmed the left shin a lot, and added its inner cover strip. We also glued up the three remaining bicep cover strips and fully trimmed the ab plate button. Tomorrow, my dad and I plan to trim out the other torso button piece, and start work on painting them, as well as adding the last cover strip to the forearms. Also, I emailed Troopergear about possibly looking into a pre0made helmet, hopefully I'll get a positive response back! I had some ideas for a silly helmet to work in a cloth cover or something to be able to move aside to play an instrument through, as I'm huge into my school's band programs. 

Lx2re5W.jpg

I placed the ab buttons on the torso just to test the size, and added a stencil from Trooperbay on the top left button. I know it might sound silly, but do you remove the stencil when your done?

Update on progress January 10:

Today we applied the final cover strip, secured it with bungee cord, magnets, clamps, and a sanding brick to push down on it to be extra safe. Will probably look into ABS paste if this option doesn't work out. Sadly, no email from Troopergear about the helmet, but I'm still optimistic! We also took the magnets and clamps off of the biceps, trimmed the excess and rounded the edges with a dremel tool. My dad and I also trimmed the other button plate for the ab armor, and started working on snaps. Midway through working on the snaps, the power went out! We kept working, and managed to get all the snaps for the arms done (12 in total) and 4 for the torso (2 on the top part and two on the ab piece). The aim is to get more E6000, some white webbing, and a new lighter to be able to fully make all the snaps necessary. If anyone has a solid snap guide aside from Navajo bro's build, send it! Otherwise, I'm using his build as a direct reference, with an exclusion being that I'm using snaps for the arms instead of velcro like shown in his.

Pics updated at http://imgur.com/a/Ibs5F with highlights below:

TTcB9GO.jpg

Working through the power outage.

sOC88P4.jpg

Total result of all the snaps we made today. I made sure that they were fully secured and ready to go.

Are those the only three pieces you got that look like that?  If so it's possible you got two of the "un-notched" belt and no thigh ammo pack.  Although they are very similar the thigh ammo is noticeably smaller.  Here's a shot of our new guys kit I'm helping him with:

IMG_8921_zps7liimdpm.jpg

Thigh ammo is on left (smallest one), two belts on middle and right.  He gives you options on belts, if you do the belt with the recessed "notches" (my photo the one on far right) then you can use the detail parts that fit inside and have raised buttons (like Shea above my post).  If you use the non-recessed belt (my photo middle one) then you can use the non-raised buttons - they come in a strip of three attached, you simply measure and cut them out.

Yeah, I think I got two un-notched versions. If I hear back from Troopergear about the helmet, I will definitely ask him about this as well. Fingers crossed! Thankfully it isn't a necessary part, but I hope to resolve that issue soon!

Yeah, I think I got two un-notched versions. If I hear back from Troopergear about the helmet, I will definitely ask him about this as well. Fingers crossed! Thankfully it isn't a necessary part, but I hope to resolve that issue soon!

Definitely looks like you're missing the knee ammo belt.

Marc

Definitely looks like you're missing the knee ammo belt.

Marc

Yup! Confirmed it today, and spoke with TK Armor a few hours back. He helped me sort all my issues out. I know have a new thigh ammo pack and right outer forearm on the way! I also spoke to them about looking into a pre-built helmet, as the condition of my current one is less than than previously shown. They were very nice about referring me to the Stormtrooper Ranch group, who VERY graciously offered to assemble and paint a newer helmet AM kit and send it to me. I went from being worried as I could possibly be to feeling like I'm on top of the world!

Absoutely stellar service by TK Armor and Troopergear! Looking forward to resuming my build ASAP!