Celebration Europe 2016 Rogue One Stormtrooper Back Pack Build

I thought I would share these comparison shots of my crystal patrol pack. The angle of the photographs don't exactly match but you get the idea. The celebration Europe pack is on the left, and my replica pack is on the right.

image_zpsz5zxcx8n.jpeg

image_zpstzggkbpn.jpeg

image_zpsujyz5p8g.jpeg

• Like 2

More images from the Rogue One Visual Guide:

image_zpsmn9pd0iw.jpeg

This image is fairly small in the book which is why the photo is so grainy but I wanted to show the included paragraph, here's a higher quality version of this image.

Pauldron01_zpsqgd0qrau.jpg

Also here's a closer view of another image from the book.

image_zps7dhukhrm.jpeg

I have been looking very closely at the field pack in the Rogue one Visual Guide. I am very pleased notice that the slots cut into the ammo box for the weather shroud webbing are actually cut into the back of the box as I initially guessed. This allows for a wider spread of the weather shroud when pulled tight. This is wonderful as you can also see the slots look fairly dentical to how I have cut mine and hopefully how you have cut all of yours. According to this image it seems you can tuck your top 2 straps under instead of having them hanging like the CE if you wish. I imagine the right side would mirror the left.

DSC_2726_zpshxw9udjd.jpg

DSC_2727_zpsmfpqzgqn.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 1

19c890e4c7325feb4114ff61e728bb21.jpg

Repair? Or replace?, yep, bust the antenna on a low ceiling, dam it

Opinions please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nasty damage dude. Replace. Thats one part of the pack that needs to be strong so any repair on this part means it will still be weakened for future use. Its relatively inexpensive to replace as well. Just need to watch out for those ceilings in future.

Edited by mr paul

It appears this product was on clearance as it seems to be sold out everywhere, the price they were selling for probably explains the reason this Rod was chosen. Prop departments are only given so much budget so they obviously save money wherever possible, same goes with the cheap latex tubing instead of expensive real cable.

Edited by SlyFox740

It appears this product was on clearance as it seems to be sold out everywhere, the price they were selling for probably explains the reason this Rod was chosen. Prop departments are only given so much budget so they obviously save money wherever possible, same goes with the cheap latex tubing instead of expensive real cable.

In that case, repair lol  :P  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Edited by ScouseTrooper

I actually used a $10 rod from my local Wal-Mart. Just made sure to get the right diameter. It was actually red, painted it black w/ the red rings. Visually pretty much indistinguishable and if I break it, another one is only $10. ;)

I actually used a $10 rod from my local Wal-Mart. Just made sure to get the right diameter. It was actually red, painted it black w/ the red rings. Visually pretty much indistinguishable and if I break it, another one is only $10. ;)

Can u tell me which one at walmart?

• Like 1

We are looking for an alternative rod for the antenna. We are looking for a rod of the same spec which should hopefully be possible. I am looking at the NGT float master 12ft 3 piece course rod at the moment. It looks good and seems to have everything in the right place in regards to the top section. The guides look to be a little shorter. The only other compromise will be the red thread in the line guide whipping. A small sacrifice if everything else is good. There are others out there however this one seems the closest so far from what I have found. Whether this is available stateside or if UK sellers will ship overseas I have not looked into yet. The Avanti Precision X has been on sale for the last 5-6 years. I spoke to the manufacturer and it looks like it will no longer be made and stocked in Sports Direct (its only outlet) you may find them on the secondary market from here onwards if you are lucky. Please post up alternatives if you find any. Ideally a black rod with the red whipping and the correct amount of line guides for the top section would be awesome. Importantly also is a rod in the same price bracket. The NGT sells on Amazon for £15.50gbp Let us know how you get on :) happy fishing.002_zpsghbboms7.jpg

006_zpsgpsjfjxc.jpg

001_zpsyxymokpx.jpg

This rod looks like it could also be used to make the longer variant antenna as well as seen on the screen used packs.

Edited by mr paul

Weathering the Field Pack

​There are many techniques that could be used to weather this field pack and achieve similar results to that seen on the CE version. I used a method I am most comfortable with and it involves only paints. The whole of my pack was weathered using acrylic paint. Acrylic paint is simply plastic particles suspended in water so when applied the water evaporates leaving a hardened plastic behind. Very similar consistency and texture to mud but more permanent which is ideal for what we are doing here. I have used the following selection of colours for my pack. It is important to use a wider range of tones when weathering to get a more authentic and realistic aged appearance. 1 or 2 colours run the risk of still looking like paint when its finished. The paint pot on the left is a water based emulsion paint tester pot from the local DIY store. This can also be quite effective.

DSC_0937_zps4baxigzm.jpg

I painted mine outside because its going to get quite messy splashing paint around. I have printed some reference images so I can be careful not to stray too far away from what the original weathering looks like. Using an old container I mix a very thin mix of paint and water to mimic that of a muddy puddle. I have an old cloth to hand for wiping off excess paint and creating effects. I start with pretty much any of the colours. I am going to picture in my mind what the pack has been through on Jedha. By doing this I can imagine what angles mud and dust would hit the pack from. For example if stomping through a puddle it would splash from underneath. If it rains older dirt would run downwards and dry dust would settle on the upper facing areas. Its useful to take all this into consideration before applying weathering to the pack. It helps to tell a story and create a more convincing prop. I use 2 brushes. A larger one and a medium sized brush. Limiting how many tools I use restricts me from getting too complicated and getting too bogged down.

DSC_0940_zpsnrlv3yob.jpg

I start by using the larger brush. I literally dunk it in the thin paint mix and splash the pack from appropriate angles, mainly from underneath and a little over the top. The CE pack is very dirty and so is the weather shroud. Do not be afraid to slap plenty on. I use the cloth to wipe off any undesired splats or runs smearing them into the fabric. The more damp the pack gets the more paint it soaks in. Build up the layers and splash different colours on. You can be quite random but keep an eye on the reference pictures at the same time.

DSC_0943_zpspq1hpd6q.jpg

Make sure to hit all of the pack including the shoulder straps. The weathering needs to be all over the pack.

DSC_0949_zps7uvrdufr.jpg

The ammo box is treated in the same way. Here you can see how the paint has been applied then roughly wiping outwards with the cloth leaving the paint to sit in the recesses. When dry the acrylic particles will resemble dirt sitting in the places it would naturally be. You can also use the cloth to dab at the pack using the excess wiped off paint. Imagine the pack brushing against things and picking up dirt.

DSC_0945_zpsbqrzsgnt.jpg

Mix thicker paint for dry brushing. Simply load the large brush with paint and wipe most of it from the brush. When the brush is nearly dry apply it to the pack by roughly hitting all the high points. Do this all over the pack, shoulder straps, webbing, ammo box and weather shroud. Include the base of the antenna too without going too high up it.

DSC_0952_zpstdjbahws.jpg

You can go in quite heavy as most of the paint will be absorbed by the fabric especially if it is already damp. This helps to build up layers of age to give the illusion of usage to the prop.

DSC_0972_zps7srje1ui.jpg

After a first pass over and around the entire pack using these methods I let it dry. All the while I am weathering I am making sure that the pack retains its correct shape and webbing, straps and buckles are al still wear they should be. Although the CE pack looks well used it is still very tightly packed and neat as a military pack would be. Notice a lot of the "mud" so far is concentrated towards the bottom of the pack however with more subtle weathering over the upper parts it beginning to all tie together. I have a good look at it all, then start the same process again adding more layers of age to it.

DSC_0968_zpsjccfwcba.jpg

I am going to also use a bottom fed airbrush for the next stage to help add dusting effects to the pack.

DSC_0942_zpss2yp5y58.jpg

Using the light mud colour through the airbrush I hit the centre of the ammo box and inside the hollows. I am avoiding getting too much inside the ammo box on the black liner as the CE does not appear to be too dirty. I also point the airbrush downwards over the pack and dust all the upper facing surfaces including the weather shroud.

DSC_0955_zpsjtxyg3lq.jpg

The following images show the depth of dusting, spattering and dry brushing after 3-4 passes using all of the colours and techniques. The lighter shades are used on the edges of the flaps on the pouches imitating where the pack may have been stood down in the dirt. 

DSC_0962_zpsvmtmebaq.jpg

I have used a fine grade of sand paper to distress the surface of the fabric and damage the stitching on the pack. This also helps in ageing the prop.

DSC_0974_zpsk6azwrh4.jpg

DSC_0976_zps1pljldix.jpg

Do not forget to age the webbing. I used dry brushing here to knock the black webbing back.

DSC_0977_zpsn8vhwwky.jpg

You can still see the frayed edge to the exposed webbing poking out from the ammo box as seen on the CE pack. Note how the build up of paint inside the grenade holders, it looks like a slow build up over time rather than a few quick splats of paint. Which is what we are aiming for once again too help this piece tell a story.

DSC_0978_zpstwm9xwnr.jpg

Black thinned paint is used in the  folds and creases to help the raised areas of the alice pack "pop"

DSC_0964_zps7byefxt2.jpg

DSC_0286_zpsolnjbxs8.jpg

There is not much of the original black alice pack left showing. The pack is very dusty with many layers of paint effects on it. The following images are of my version 2 pack in different lighting conditions. I have not tried to replicate the CE pack exactly but hopefully I have come close to capturing the feel of the CE field pack. It really does look like it has been on a few patrols on Jedha. The frayed webbing, damaged edges, scratched buckles, distressed fabric of the weather shroud, Its aged, used dirty, dusty appearance is key to bringing this piece to life.

.DSC_0982_zpsctzanaqw.jpgfe.

DSC_0980_zpsxqv2vdou.jpg

14686501_1795753817375922_1304434963_n_z

14725722_1795764417374862_46287064532967

14585283_1791960681088569_530033_n_zpsy5

My version 2 on the left and the CE pack on the right.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%2019.55.

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 3

"Together we rule the galaxy - as father and son"

IMG_20170106_143430%202_zpsc30s52bt.jpg

Went for a second viewing - but this time we went in style! Please ignore the incorrect straps (the correct ones came to day but didn`t have enough time to replace), the "temp-hook" (also came today, thanks to Mr Paul for making them easy to obtain) and the hastily put together "blasters". And Oh.. my sons shoes :P.

IMG_20170106_143559%202_zpsguyneybl.jpg

The antenna cable has fallen out...so much for looking sharp on patrol....oh well, at least it`s in style with the CE prop =)

Got Kyber..? Allright...move along..move along

IMG_20170106_143621%202_zps4vjcqnwq.jpg

Mission accomplished​!

IMG_20170106_193109%202_zpslzbfwn3c.jpg

Thank you all for the hard work you put in this awsome build-thread :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  (and....I will replace the webbing as well)

Keep on trooping :smiley-sw013: 

• Like 2

"Together we rule the galaxy - as father and son"

IMG_20170106_143430%202_zpsc30s52bt.jpg

Went for a second viewing - but this time we went in style! Please ignore the incorrect straps (the correct ones came to day but didn`t have enough time to replace), the "temp-hook" (also came today, thanks to Mr Paul for making them easy to obtain) and the hastily put together "blasters". And Oh.. my sons shoes :P.

IMG_20170106_143559%202_zpsguyneybl.jpg

The antenna cable has fallen out...so much for looking sharp on patrol....oh well, at least it`s in style with the CE prop =)

Got Kyber..? Allright...move along..move along

IMG_20170106_143621%202_zps4vjcqnwq.jpg

Mission accomplished​!

IMG_20170106_193109%202_zpslzbfwn3c.jpg

Thank you all for the hard work you put in this awsome build-thread :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  (and....I will replace the webbing as well)

Keep on trooping :smiley-sw013:

Both packs look fantastic. Well done on both builds. The alice packs look very well shaped and stuffed and it is obvious you have been following the thread very closely. Good work! I quite like the Nike's with the armour lol

• Like 1

Haha yeah they´re great for trooping :P and ​thank you for the kind words and again thanks for this awsome tread :salute: and yes, I spent many hours watching this, making adjustments then watching it again and so on..and still not entirely finished...today we`re about to fix the cammostraps and the hook-thingy (thanks again) and still waiting for more accurate buckles and webbing for the "roll" to arrive...it`s been a great project to work on and you can always do tweeks to make it more and more accurate. :)

Edited by jedha-trooper
  • Like 1

Haha yeah they´re great for trooping :P and ​thank you for the kind words and again thanks for this awsome tread :salute: and yes, I spent many hours watching this, making adjustments then watching it again and so on..and still not entirely finished...today we`re about to fix the cammostraps and the hook-thingy (thanks again) and still waiting for more accurate buckles and webbing for the "roll" to arrive...it`s been a great project to work on and you can always do tweeks to make it more and more accurate. :)

Not Jedha, but freshly deployed with pack to a colder place

668ed3bc0f54082bf25d723e4b4c56ec.jpg0174ee79bbb18988757744624ccbb3e7.jpg

• Like 3

Quick few shots of my pack in action from a fun day out trooping with my garrison. Still not finished but wanted to get some use out of it before the Rogue One season ends. 

Still need to:

• dye the alice pack and straps one more time
  • trim the antenna tube at the bottom
  • trim the antenna at the top and add better cap
  • trim the canvas roll straps to proper lengths
  • add the slider buckles at various points
  • spray the ammo box insert black
  • add weathering
  • adjust the front shoulder strap lengths 
  • and get a pauldron- tried making one myself but could not finish in time. 

Rogue%20One%20Pack_zpsjiowjlva.jpg

It was scary to put on at first and feared my armor cracking or scratching but actually it was comfortable to wear. I did find a few cracks on some return edges but think it was due to packing my armor in the suitcase. Can't wait to finish it now. Thanks to you guys for all the info and supply help. Could not have been possible without you. I was so happy to get it assembled I wore it on the way to and from the trooping event on the train. Lots of weird looks but I wore it with pride! 

• Like 5