Celebration Europe 2016 Rogue One Stormtrooper Back Pack Build

Curious as to who made your Pauldron. Pack and Pauldron look awesome. Everyone on this thread has done awesome work.

Thanks

Here's my 'Jedha Patrol' pack, I will be trooping the Canadian Premiere of Rogue One in downtown Toronto, Ontario at the Scotiabank Theater December 14th, 2016 and I received special permission from my local garrison's  GML to wear my R1 pack with my OT armor.

image_zpsvkauuo33.jpeg

image_zpsopcva7vz.jpeg

image_zpsay4met1u.jpeg

I also had this Rogue One Pauldron custom made in time for the premiere. Extra rows of stitching across the orange colored area & white fabric bottom.

image_zpsmyicug6b.jpeg

image_zpsr05aecrz.jpeg

Here's me wearing the Pack & Pauldron, more photos to come...

image_zpsza4wvgbq.jpeg

• Like 1

I will be posting up the last part of the thread soon which will show the methods I used to weather my version 2 pack. As much as I want Its a little too soon to be discussing how much screen time the pack had in Rogue One and which variant of the pack were seen on screen. I don't want to be spoiling it for anyone who has not seen it yet. This will make interesting discussion once it is more safer to do so and I look forward to it.

DSC_0968_zpsu83lwxok.jpg

DSC_0961_zpshcik0uhl.jpg

DSC_0978_zps2ajtmrsl.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 2

Thanks for the research that has gone into this! <br><br>

I'll be trying my hand at building a pack after Christmas. Got most of the parts sourced now apart from the ammo box, really struggling to find a source for one.<br><br>

Just need to see the film now!

Here you go: 

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/norwegian-military-waterproof-airtight-storage-box/

And for those interested in R1 Captains pauldrons -- 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150178963/classic-star-wars-stormtrooper-shoulder?ref=hp_rv

Just select Rogue 1 from the dropdown.

• Like 1

I modified the button from one of these pens.

image_zpsxetqgvpe.jpeg

Inside the button is a white plastic insert which is the part that activates the business end of the pen, I modified that and the black button/cap by cutting them down a little, then super-gluing them together. That piece fits on the fishing rod very tight and does not require glue to be held in place but I have added a small dab of glue for safe measure. Then antenna is very flexible and bends easily when walking through doors ways, it seems the plastic cap can take lots of abuse without breaking or coming off.

Would you be able to measure the diameter of the cap? I have similar pens to buy but the caps seem a bit thinner than yours. Just want to make sure. 

• Like 1

Curious as to who made your Pauldron. Pack and Pauldron look awesome. Everyone on this thread has done awesome work.

Thanks

I ordered mine custom from Katarra8 but it's been added to her list of options now so it's easier than sending photos & detailed instructions.

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361514294420

Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/150178963/classic-star-wars-stormtrooper-shoulder?ref=shop_home_feat_3

Would you be able to measure the diameter of the cap? I have similar pens to buy but the caps seem a bit thinner than yours. Just want to make sure. 

It's the same diameter as the surgical latex tubing; 1/4" or 6mm, although I left mine a little longer than the suggested 12mm when cutting the bottom off but that was just personal preference. I can still easily make it shorter, but we don't really know what the exact size is for certain.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

Is that from the Rogue One Visual Guide?

I guess this means it's supposed to be some kind of variation of a Sandtrooper Pack. They look so different from the Sandtrooper packs in ANH which takes place Directly after R1, I thought that's what the other pack we've seen in the teaser was supposed to be but I wouldn't have guessed this pack was for a TD. The armor on the display at CE with this pack was shiny clean which was deceiving but I guess that means nothing, they often dress those mannequins incorrectly at celebration. Kylo Ren's belt buckle was upside down last year.

I thought it was interesting that the article starts with the words "On Jedha," as If the pack is specially designed for the requirements and temperatures of that planet specifically.

Edited by SlyFox740

Is that from the Rogue One Visual Guide?

I guess this means it's supposed to be some kind of variation of a Sandtrooper Pack. They look so different from the Sandtrooper packs in ANH which takes place Directly after R1, I thought that's what the other pack we've seen in the teaser was supposed to be but I wouldn't have guessed this pack was for a TD. The armor on the display at CE with this pack was shiny clean which was deceiving but I guess that means nothing, they often dress those mannequins incorrectly at celebration. Kylo Ren's belt buckle was upside down last year.

I thought it was interesting that the article starts with the words "On Jedha," as If the pack is specially designed for the requirements and temperatures of that planet specifically.

Looks like the Jedha stormtroopers only real difference to a standard TK (ignoring updated armour) is that the front of the helmet is removable for air filtration. Aside from that the ab plate details are that of a TK however these are in fact TD's. very cool.

On the other hand that article in the visual guide doesn't actually mention the packs whatsoever, the paragraph focuses on the armor itself. There is also the fact that we see the pack for the first time at Kaffrine Trading Outpost before they even go to Jedha, which means the pack is not exclusive to that planet.

• Like 1

From the visual guide. Could quite possibly be the CE pack. Gives a much better reference for the colour of the frame (very beaten up) and end caps, bedroll (weather shroud) colouring. You can see the green ammo box. The same and colour of the orange patch can now be seen. Pauldron over shoulder strap. The bedroll is referred to as a weather shroud. I am still holding out for this being a poncho. if it is not it should be ;)

20161221_185410%201_zps9ixzmxwq.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 2

WOW! Well that settles it. CRYSTAL PATROL DUTY it is, I didn't think of that one. I've heard some good guesses; Medic Pack, Long-Range Radio Communications, Explosives Pack/Thermal Detonator Holder but looking at the Norwegian grenade case it does have the appearance of "Vac-Sealed Armoured Canisters". Considering the history and significance of Kyber Crystals in not only the Rogue One plot but the Star Wars universe in general I'd say this makes absolute perfect sense! They would definitely have been kept in "well-secured backpack" once confiscated by the empire, at least temporarily until ready for "delivery to Eadu" to be refined into fuel for their super weapon.

On a side note, this also makes perfect sense as to why we first see one of these packs at the Kafrene Trading Outpost which is not on the planet Jedha. The Empire would definitely deploy "standard stormtroopers" with these "field specific kits" at the nearby trading outpost in order to capture and confiscate any crystals from citizens attempting to trade them on the market.

This also explains why the pack was on a "standard stormtrooper" at Celebration Europe and NOT a sandtrooper. The pack at CE looks like it has mud splashed on it from walking and being set down on the ground, but the stormtrooper armor is standard shiny white like he just stepped off a star destroyer, not to mention the standard Ab-buttons and Sniper Plate.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

WOW! Well that settles it. CRYSTAL PATROL DUTY it is, I didn't think of that one. I've heard some good guesses; Medic Pack, Explosives Pack/Thermal Detonator Holder. But the "vac-sealed armoured canisters" makes sense looking at the Norwegian Grenade Case, also considering the history and significance of Kyber Crystals in not only the Rogue One plot but the Star Wars universe in general I'd say this makes absolute perfect sense! They would definitely have been kept in "well-secured backpack" once confiscated by the empire, at least temporarily until ready for "delivery to Eadu" to be refined into fuel for their super weapon.

On a side note, this also makes perfect sense as to why we first see one of these packs at the Kaffrine Trading Outpost which is not on the planet Jedha. The Empire would definitely deploy "standard stormtroopers" with these "field specific kits" at the nearby trading outpost in order to capture and confiscate any crystals from citizens attempting to trade them on the market.

This also explains why the pack was on a "standard stormtrooper" at Celebration Europe and NOT a sandtrooper. The pack at CE looks like it has mud splashed on it from walking and being set down on the ground, but the stormtrooper armor is standard shiny white like he just stepped off a star destroyer, not to mention the standard Ab-buttons and Sniper Plate.Do the sand troopers in rogue one have the 

Do the sandtroopers in R1 have the same ab buttons and sniper plate details as the OT sand troopers? I thought the only difference in armour between the R1 TD's and TK's is the filtration system in the helmet. Otherwise their armour is identical.

• Like 1

The R1 troopers are very much different from the original, not just the helmet but every part of the armor. The ab details only have 4 buttons instead of the 5th one that is above the grill, which in R1 is replaces by a square recessed area.

There are a lot of difference in this costume, with some additions to make it more in depth.

• Like 1

Do the sandtroopers in R1 have the same ab buttons and sniper plate details as the OT sand troopers? I thought the only difference in armour between the R1 TD's and TK's is the filtration system in the helmet. Otherwise their armour is identical.

It's difficult to tell without more reference. This image of the R1 sandtroopers doesn't show either Ab buttons or Sniper plates. Though I would assume they are meant to be the same as R1 literally takes place directly before ANH.

31690379156_f5c93dfafa_z_zpsjpkyzt4q.jpg

The R1 troopers are very much different from the original, not just the helmet but every part of the armor. The ab details only have 4 buttons instead of the 5th one that is above the grill, which in R1 is replaces by a square recessed area.

There are a lot of difference in this costume, with some additions to make it more in depth.

Yes I'm aware both the R1 helmet and armor are much more detailed than the OT. We are discussing the difference between R1 TK & TD Ab buttons and Snipers Plates

Edited by SlyFox740

Me and my pack in the streets of Kedha. Pretty much happy with it in comparrison to the visual guide reference material released so far. I believe the frame to be heavily weathered and black along with the end caps. I may correct this in the future. I will be adjusting the colour of the weather shroud (poncho ;)) and possibly making the longer variant antenna to accompany the pack. I suspect the the one displayed at CE was broken and although was seen in some imagery before the films release I have not noticed the short antenna version in the film or in ref material post release.

IMG_2552_zpsayjieiqm.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsmdtqw6nb.jpg

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 2

It's difficult to tell without more reference. This image of the R1 sandtroopers doesn't show either Ab buttons or Sniper plates. Though I would assume they are meant to be the same as R1 literally takes place directly before ANH.

Now we know these "field-specific kits" were issued to "standard stormtroopers" it's no surprise to see them worn by sandtroopers posted on Jedha.

The CRL thread is documenting all the changes :) 

• Like 1

I don't believe these are even the same packs we are talking about here.

Notice the base of the antenna is above their shoulders and totally different, notice the lack of shoulder straps, or a hook greeblie!

I believe they are specific sandtrooper packs as seen on the Hot Toys Jedha Patrol action figure.

14468574_10153834926722344_1600557855593

And seen briefly in the CE sizzle reel.

New%20backpack_zpsh6od8eio.jpg

I also came across this image over at MEPD, apparently it's a photo from a magazine that had lots of Rogue One promo shots in it.

cxdOOuU.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

Oh yes lol,,,you are right, I forgot about the hard pack. It would make sense that they would be the sandtroopers with that particular pack on. It never made it to the final edit. According to the details on the Hot Toys figure the armour shares all the same details as the TK. I'm of to watch it again in a couple of hours. i will have a good look for pack appearances.

• Like 1

Oh yes lol,,,you are right, I forgot about the hard pack. It would make sense that they would be the sandtroopers with that particular pack on.

It's confirmed, after receiving my own copy of the Rogue One Visual Guide for my birthday I have been able to see a complete view of these pages. The "hardpack" that I indicated above is in fact specifically designed for Sandtroopers, this particular sandtrooper pack is a "Type 4 Field Pack" as seen in the image below. (shown on page 134 of the visual guide)

image_zpsb3ipocid.jpeg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

It's confirmed, after receiving my own copy of the Rogue One Visual Guide for my birthday I have been able to see a complete view of these pages. The "hardpack" that I indicated above is in fact specifically designed for Sandtroopers, this particular sandtrooper pack is a "Type 4 Field Pack" as seen in the image below. (shown on page 134 of the visual guide)

image_zpsb3ipocid.jpeg

I have started on this variant of the sandtrooper pack. Should be cool.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk