KMan's HWT side-track

kman

So, a thing happened on the road to Centurion.

20161003220754-6c3f5c8f-la.jpg

More to come. :)  But it's a start!

P.S., thank you again, Ukswrath, for your great (and detailed) HWT Pack Build Thread.  I'm going to explore a few alternative methods/parts, but overall, I expect (and hope!) my pack will be extremely similar to this reference build.

Link to CRL for ease of reference: http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt

Edited by kman
added CRL link
  • Like 1

AWESOME, kman!   :jc_doublethumbup:   If I can be of any help, just let me know.  We are working on a few updates to the HWT CRLs in the upcoming weeks, (nothing too radical) so keep your eye out for this.

Cool, Kman!  I'm heading down the HWT path myself at the moment!

AWESOME, kman!   :jc_doublethumbup:   If I can be of any help, just let me know.  We are working on a few updates to the HWT CRLs in the upcoming weeks, (nothing too radical) so keep your eye out for this.

Interesting to hear.  Hopefully everything I've gotten so far will still work.

Thanks!

Also, what Rick said.  Is there a discussion thread I can look at?  I don't want to buy any parts that aren't going to end up being accepted, if I haven't already.

I actually plan to post a few questions and screenshots in a bit.  There are some places where Tony's end product doesn't exactly match the screencaps, and I was wondering if a more-accurate pack would be turned down in the name of uniformity, or if that would be encouraged?  Minor stuff, mostly, but still, the concept remains.  For instance, some of the boxes have ridged outlines on the pack itself, the top square of the radio box seems more raised than the rest, and the top left box (with the 4 bumpers) looks to me at least an inch or two longer in the screencaps.

At the moment this project is going to be going pretty slow, as I collect the remaining bits and bobs.  The photo box is the biggest thing I'd like to upgrade, over the cardboard photo box, so that will probably take time to hunt down.  Also the handiwipes tube.  I may end up that route after all, but I can't help but think there's got to be something better.

And of course I need the M40 pouches.  Did I read correctly that you can use nice leather pouches OR canvas pouches (or pleather), but not a mix of both?

I also want to finish my Centurion submission before I start mucking around with my belt and such, or adding the weathering/battle damage.  Only a few things to do, but naturally they're the sorts of things that require a full weekend day to really get into, and those have been in short supply lately...

• Like 1

Let me know if you need any pointers.  I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago and I used Ukswrath's thread.

Also, I have a good place to get the pouches from.

Edited by CrookKnight

SWEET!!!

"I was wondering if a more-accurate pack would be turned down in the name of uniformity, or if that would be encouraged?" Not turned down and yes encouraged.

"Did I read correctly that you can use nice leather pouches OR canvas pouches (or pleather), but not a mix of both?"  Either or, we don't encourage mixing.

CRL: 

Ammo Pouches

For 501st approval:

• German MP-40 style ammo pouches.
  • Pouches are black in color and made of canvas, leather or leather-like material.
  • There are a minimum of two pouches:
    • One pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip.
  • Option:
    • A third pouch worn on the opposite hip. 
  • Like 1

Thanks, Tony.  I thought I read in a discussion thread that they didn't want mixing of pouch types, but I guess not, or it was wrong. :)  I think I want leather on the belt (more expensive, but looks way cool!) and canvas on the pauldron (lighter in weight, save a little money).

Edited by kman

Thanks, Tony.  I thought I read in a discussion thread that they didn't want mixing of pouch types, but I guess not, or it was wrong. :)  I think I want leather on the belt (more expensive, but looks way cool!) and canvas on the pauldron (lighter in weight, save a little money).

lol, Either / or means, either all leather or all canvas, not both. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

• Like 1

lol, Either / or means, either all leather or all canvas, not both. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Epic reading comprehension fail, LOL, my bad.

Perhaps this is something that should be clarified in the CRL?  Just a thought. :)

All leather it is! :D

Epic reading comprehension fail, LOL, my bad.

Perhaps this is something that should be clarified in the CRL?  Just a thought. :)

All leather it is! :D

There's a lot of areas that need clarification or correction in the CRLs, lol. As you know it's work in progress. 

To be honest there's nothing that says you can't have two different types however, at the Centurion level we are looking for components to be uniform and would probably mention it during the approval process.  

There's a lot of areas that need clarification or correction in the CRLs, lol. As you know it's work in progress. 

To be honest there's nothing that says you can't have two different types however, at the Centurion level we are looking for components to be uniform and would probably mention it during the approval process.  

Well, you know me, I definitely want to know the most accurate option, so thank you. :)

What are the opinions on leather vs. canvas?  It's probably not actually discernible given the resolution limits and video game origins of the HWT character, but is there any preference for one over the other, other than personal tastes?  (also, going forward, it's likely they'd be used for a Sandy someday, so future use should be considered as well)  Or perhaps that's the confusion... Sandies simply have different requirements?  (I know at least some, such as the Road Block captains, put leather on the belt and canvas with tool pouch on the shoulder)

And speaking of, I haven't found any info on the small pouch that's often mounted to the bottom/side of the shoulder pouches, but I believe I've seen it on some HWTs.  Under what circumstances should that be there?  Is that option for canvas only, or also leather?

I'm looking at Blaster 2866's pouches, so any way you look at it, this is probably going to cost a fair amount.  More than the whole backpack, likely!

Kalani, if you think like I do if you want to go sandy you'll want to go SWAT. That said, depending what character you want to emulate will determine which MP40s to buy, some use both leather and canvas possibly contributing to the HWT confusion.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slow going, but progress is still happening.  Biggest hold up has been finding the right size boxes.  I found one for the top left box (with the bumpers) that might work, at the Container Store, I just have to lay it out and confirm.  Biggest issue has been finding the radio box, the big one on the lower left, since I don't want to use cardboard.  I was tipped off about a metal security box that I might give a shot at, so we'll see soon.  (I actually own one!  Just have to dig it out of the back of the closet, and if the size works, I'll order a new one to use on the pack)

My orange pauldron from Trooper1 should be here in a week.  And yesterday, I received a lovely box from Blaster 8266. :)

20161116092809-ae034c6a-me.jpg

20161116092814-c95a3b57-me.jpg

So progress is slow, as promised, but things are indeed happening...

I'm interested to see what you come up with for boxes.  I like the metal radio box idea a lot.  The more I get into working on my pack the more questions I have about everything, so I'm going slower and slower too.

I'm interested to see what you come up with for boxes.  I like the metal radio box idea a lot.  The more I get into working on my pack the more questions I have about everything, so I'm going slower and slower too.

If I have time this evening, I need to lay out all the boxes onto my oilpan backpack base, so I can eyeball all the proportions together in one place.  I'll take some pics, for sure.  I haven't gotten around to buying the PVC tube yet, but obviously that's simple and easy.  I did pick up some shoulder straps from WTF so that'll be very straightforward once I make it to Home Depot to get the pipe.

I have the pop-it tupperware Ukswrath recommends, I just don't like the size on the upper left bumper box (it's clearly longer to my eye, looking at the screencaps thread), and I want something better than a cardboard photo box for the radio, especially since it's in the bottom corner and is going to get banged up a lot.

The only other major reservation I have is the middle right box, which I have the pop-it for (per Ukswrath) but I really want it to be angled like in the originals, and doing that major modification on the tupperware kind of defeats the purpose, to me.  Finding prefab boxes in the right size is supposed to eliminate that level of work.

And finally, there's the wet wipes container in the upper middle, which doesn't seem quite right to me, either.  It clearly has a flat surface in the originals.  I'm less married to replacing that one, though, unless I stumble across something perfect.  I might go the wet wipes route at first, but make it detachable so I can upgrade that part later without messing anything else up.

Once I get these last bits dialed in, I can buy a sheet of plastic from somewhere, and start cutting the outline shapes to overlay, and the real assembly can begin.

• Like 1

It's coming together! One thing I saw someone do, and I love it and hope you might consider it is this.

---------

Have a place to put your E-11 on the side. Haha, just loved this idea and wanted to share it with you.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 3

On 11/18/2016 at 12:24 AM, T K said:

I'd ask Shawn (CrookKnight)

Take a look at their FB page as well, that's where I saw it originally. https://www.facebook.com/ImperialTrooperPacks/?fref=ts

Are you referring to this image?  (Sorry to anyone not on FB, but it's not my pic so I don't want to rehost it just to embed it here from my server)

-------------

(I think that link should work for anyone with a FB account)

Not sure exactly how they mounted it, but I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult to rig something up. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

(I think that link should work for anyone with a FB account)

You can view the page even if you don't have a FB account. :)

The link I shared will take you to their page and it can be viewed by anyone.

Edit: Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit Kalani...

Edited by T K

You can view the page even if you don't have a FB account. :)

The link I shared will take you to their page and it can be viewed by anyone.

Edit: Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit Kalani...

Well, you derailed my HWT pack build thread with options for my HWK pack build, so it's all good in my book. ;)

FWIW, I posted in the thread with that pic, asking about the E11 mount, and was told that they only used 1 strap. The strap is identical to the shoulder strap material and wraps around the pack. It slips in between the crevasses in the pack and around the blaster. No permanent attachment so it can be easily removed.

I'm still not entirely picturing it, but I have a couple of ideas that might work, now that I know roughly how it was done...

• Like 2