Plastidip

When you guys are coating the inside of your helmets, are you using the spray or brush plastidip and is there a advantage of using one over the other?<br>

Also, are you doing anything to the inside of the helmet for prep before applying the plastidip?

I brushed mine on with a sponge applicator.. It was actually dabbing as opposed to brushing. Don't worry about getting full coverage on the first coat. It'll dry quickly enough for a second or third coat and you'll get it all covered. It's messy and it smells bad, though! Open that garage door! :) I've heard of light sanding prior to coating.. I didn't do that. But that might be something to consider doing.

Here can see the type of applicator I used.. Note the "Tacky" putty.. Don't use this. I used it to mask the teeth and I spent an afternoon cleaning it off. It had the consistency of chewed gum.. It was terrible. Use another method or just go around the teeth.

SrIwxgi.jpg

Ā 

Ā This was after one coat.. Two more followed.

cECN2kg.jpg

If you're going to reinforce with cheesecloth, you need to use the brush-on style, like Eddie shows above.

Ā 

If you're NOT going the cheesecloth route, the spray in plastidip works just fine, and delivers a lovely smooth finish.Ā  It's not thick enough to "hold" the cheesecloth, though.

Ā 

No particular surface prep is needed, beyond cleaning the surface thoroughly (I recommend rubbing alcohol so there is no residue).Ā  Light sanding/scuffing certainly wouldn't hurt, but plenty of people skip that and still get very good results.Ā  (I just cleaned with rubbing alcohol and called it good)

Ā 

Lots of pics of the spray process in my build thread, linked below.

• Like 2

Kman said it well. I highly recommend the cheesecloth. It gives the inside of the helmet a really cool "lined" look. When you apply it, make sure you have a lot of pieces pre-cut. Ā Spread a layer of plasti-dip into the helmet. Work in sections. Don;t try to coat the whole inside at once. It will skin over before you get to it all. Anyway, Coat a section and lay the chesecloth into it. Dip your brush into the can of "dip" and DAB the brush onto the cheesecloth until it is all embedded. Don't brush it!!! The cloth will stick onto the brush bristles and pull out of the plasti dip. Once everything is done, you can speed up the drying time with a hair dryer on a low setting. Then one more coat and you are good!!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28633-howto-ata-helmet-build-hand-painted-details-pic-heavy/Ā  there are pic of my process here

• Like 3

David, I absolutely love how this turned out! Good to know that mistakes are fixable with a little effort.

On 10/2/2016 at 6:33 AM, ididshave said:

I went about using the spray method and while I did have some leaks (namely because I'm such a rookie at doing this), it was nothing that a bit of elbow grease and Goo Gone could not take care of.

Ā 

I love, love, LOVE the result:

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 10 months later...
Kman said it well. I highly recommend the cheesecloth. It gives the inside of the helmet a really cool "lined" look. When you apply it, make sure you have a lot of pieces pre-cut. Ā Spread a layer of plasti-dip into the helmet. Work in sections. Don;t try to coat the whole inside at once. It will skin over before you get to it all. Anyway, Coat a section and lay the chesecloth into it. Dip your brush into the can of "dip" and DAB the brush onto the cheesecloth until it is all embedded. Don't brush it!!! The cloth will stick onto the brush bristles and pull out of the plasti dip. Once everything is done, you can speed up the drying time with a hair dryer on a low setting. Then one more coat and you are good!!
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28633-howto-ata-helmet-build-hand-painted-details-pic-heavy/Ā  there are pic of my process here

I am installing the cheesecloth this weekend. Your pictures are not showing in your thread anymore. Is there a way to repost them (or PM)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to do this to my helmet as well. Have any of you had any problems adhering velcro/whatever to the plastidipped surface? I'm thinking electronics, fans, mics, padding etc.

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

I'm going to do this to my helmet as well. Have any of you had any problems adhering velcro/whatever to the plastidipped surface? I'm thinking electronics, fans, mics, padding etc.

Ā 

I have padding, aĀ wireless mic, hearing assist and usb battery pack all using velcro which is stuck to the plastidip and haven't had any issues with it yet. It's been around a year and a half since I put it all in. I didn't use cheesecloth though - just painted three coats of plastidip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hupspring said:

Ā 

I have padding, aĀ wireless mic, hearing assist and usb battery pack all using velcro which is stuck to the plastidip and haven't had any issues with it yet. It's been around a year and a half since I put it all in. I didn't use cheesecloth though - just painted three coats of plastidip.

Ā 

50 minutes ago, RLH2515 said:

Same here three coats and done deal. A year of trooping and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ā 

Awesome, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Yellamo said:

Can I ask a dumb question?Ā Ā 

Why do you do this to the interior of the helmet?Ā Ā 

I'm a newbie waiting on his armor and not trying being a smartass just want to know why.

Thanks,

As others have stated it helps to hide your eyes from those looking in. With a white interior it does tend to pick up outside light and reflection of light upwards off the armor.

• 2 months later...

I've seen a few people talk about painting the inside white before going black to help the exterior of the helmet stay bright white.Ā  I guess the idea is that going straight black might "darken" the white of thinner helmets when viewed from the outside.Ā  Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Actually, Ā that's not a bad idea. White paint first. You wouldn't think it would change the outside color by painting the inside. But it would be undesirable ifĀ it changes the complection evenĀ slightly.Ā 

Good thinking, pass this idea around.

On 12/8/2017 at 2:34 PM, Suspend said:

I've seen a few people talk about painting the inside white before going black to help the exterior of the helmet stay bright white.Ā  I guess the idea is that going straight black might "darken" the white of thinner helmets when viewed from the outside.Ā  Any thoughts on this?

No need to paint white first. The black doesnā€™t show at all.

I am building my first kit! I sprayed my first coat of Plastidip on yesterday after taping like crazy. I'm doing this pre- assembly. It seems the best method when spraying is to do a light coat each time and let it dry thoroughly in between. Too much at once creates lots of runs.

It is also my understanding that coating the inside black also helps make wearing the helmet a bit cooler/ tolerable in the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk