marriott211's ATA helmet build

Hotel

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Hotel said:

I was approved tonight! 

Congratulations and welcome to the heart of the Empire:salute: The armor fits you very well:duim: If you would like I have some suggetions that would take it to the next levels, admittedly it`s hard to see every detail but you seem to be a good candidate for EIB and Centurion:salute:

4 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Congratulations and welcome to the heart of the Empire:salute: The armor fits you very well:duim: If you would like I have some suggetions that would take it to the next levels, admittedly it`s hard to see every detail but you seem to be a good candidate for EIB and Centurion:salute:

Thanks! I'll have to look at the requirements for EIB and Centurion, but I'm interested. Please, share your suggestions!

47 minutes ago, Hotel said:

Thanks! I'll have to look at the requirements for EIB and Centurion, but I'm interested. Please, share your suggestions!

Will do, only hickup is that I made the suggestions during my lunchbreak so it`s on my computer at work, just got home and like the nerd I am immediately loged on but have a read in the links Mat provided in the meantime and I´ll have it uploded in the next 12 hours *yeez there´s not much downtime including sleep* :salute:

• Like 1

Nice work, Jim!

Just looked back over your thread, (wow, Sept 2016!!) and you’ve made a really nice job of that lid. :-)

Your armour is also looking really good. A lovely fit on you.

As the topic of suggestions and EIB/Centurion came up, I hope you don’t mind me making a couple of suggestions. These are simple changes that will go a long way. :-)

Firstly, the coverstrips on the front and rear of the thighs stop at the ridge;

9f1a2bb77cafb907a5ffdde13aa2712e.jpg

The drop boxes should be touching the plastic ammo belt, and the outer edges of the drop boxes aligned with the outer edges of the ammo belt - shortening your elastics should sort this;

3c16a16b308c2109eabe04de0e14f592.jpg

Finally, it looks like your smaller ab button might be a little large. A simple trim would take this up a notch;

9ed8e9c4ffd8d927a264ac44fa0fcb86.jpg

Really simple changes, but you’re looking smart! I’m sure basic will be a breeze for you, then on to EIB and Centurion!

Keep up the great work, Jim. :-)

Dan

• Like 1

Okey......turns out I saved to pics to Imgur so here we go^_^

CRL (for Centurion) 

• There should be a minimal gap between the shoulder armor and the chest/back plate. 
  • Drawing the bells closer to the chest will not only make you look like these guys below but also make you a candidate for Centurion, suggested fixes are to shorten the elastic at the shoulders, remove more/all return edge att bottom of the bells.

zIhQqZ9.jpg

bTAc4YR.jpg

Not a required fix just, but for a cleaner look would be to lower the bicep a tad to close the gap at the elbow

HKcm171.jpgaxE6Kfh.jpg

In the pic above you can also see the dropboxes sitting pretty much flush to the ammobelt so shorten the elastic is an easy fix. That is a CRL requriment for Centurion and also looks so much better. Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt with minimal gap between belt and box.

MspaGJr.jpg

Lastly we have the thigh cover strip that should end at the ridge

Vk33M4t.jpgcrHOCn1.jpg

Overall you did a great job:salute:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Nice work, Jim!

Just looked back over your thread, (wow, Sept 2016!!) and you’ve made a really nice job of that lid. :-)

Your armour is also looking really good. A lovely fit on you. emoji1303.png

As the topic of suggestions and EIB/Centurion came up, I hope you don’t mind me making a couple of suggestions. These are simple changes that will go a long way. :-)

Firstly, the coverstrips on the front and rear of the thighs stop at the ridge;

9f1a2bb77cafb907a5ffdde13aa2712e.jpg

The drop boxes should be touching the plastic ammo belt, and the outer edges of the drop boxes aligned with the outer edges of the ammo belt - shortening your elastics should sort this;

3c16a16b308c2109eabe04de0e14f592.jpg

Finally, it looks like your smaller ab button might be a little large. A simple trim would take this up a notch;

9ed8e9c4ffd8d927a264ac44fa0fcb86.jpg

Really simple changes, but you’re looking smart! I’m sure basic will be a breeze for you, then on to EIB and Centurion!

Keep up the great work, Jim. :-)

Dan

Thanks for the feedback Dan, and the complements.

All very helpful - and things I wondered about when building. I can fix these all pretty easily.

The easiest will be the dropboxes, as they are removable. It's ATA armor, so the boxes have both the front and full-closing rear. I didn't glue them together, but did glue the elastic to each side. They use velcro to hold the two sides together. Simply need to adjust the length of the straps.

The cover strip won't be too bad either. Looks like the gap between the halves is filled as well? Simple fix. I will add that to the list.

You're correct on the ab buttons as well. I can clip the sides back a bit and be good. 

I just finished reading the links posted above, and it looks like a few other minor tweaks and I should be able to hit Centurion!

2 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Okey......turns out I saved to pics to Imgur so here we go^_^

CRL (for Centurion) 

• There should be a minimal gap between the shoulder armor and the chest/back plate. 
  • Drawing the bells closer to the chest will not only make you look like these guys below but also make you a candidate for Centurion, suggested fixes are to shorten the elastic at the shoulders, remove more/all return edge att bottom of the bells.

zIhQqZ9.jpg

bTAc4YR.jpg

Not a required fix just, but for a cleaner look would be to lower the bicep a tad to close the gap at the elbow

HKcm171.jpgaxE6Kfh.jpg

In the pic above you can also see the dropboxes sitting pretty much flush to the ammobelt so shorten the elastic is an easy fix. That is a CRL requriment for Centurion and also looks so much better. Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt with minimal gap between belt and box.

MspaGJr.jpg

Lastly we have the thigh cover strip that should end at the ridge

Vk33M4t.jpgcrHOCn1.jpg

Overall you did a great job:salute:

I wondered about the bells. I've got quite a bit of return edge, so I can pull them in for sure. The biceps won't be too bad to move either, just need to shorten the strap holding them to the shoulder bells. Simple to do. 

The boxes and thigh cover strips have been noted, and will be fixed as well.

Thanks for the input! 

Hey Jim, Looks great.  The Dans already mentioned the main items.  There is not much else to pick on.  ;)

Looks like your forearms could come up a bit - you have more black area at your elbow and very little at your wrist. Also, you have a lot of return edge on the sides of your chest (next to your arms).  It is noticeable on the front shots as well.  I don't think this would hinder acceptace at any level, but it is more of a what-looks-best kind of thing. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Hey Jim, Looks great.  The Dans already mentioned the main items.  There is not much else to pick on.  ;)

Looks like your forearms could come up a bit - you have more black area at your elbow and very little at your wrist. Also, you have a lot of return edge on the sides of your chest (next to your arms).  It is noticeable on the front shots as well.  I don't think this would hinder acceptace at any level, but it is more of a what-looks-best kind of thing. 

Yeah, the arms gave me fits. I didn't like the look, but was tired of fighting them. Should be an easy fix.

Return edge on the chest armor is an area I noted that needed trimmed back after wearing it for a few hours. Minor trimming. Thanks for pointing it out!

• Like 2

You’re in good hands here, Jim. Great advice all round.

A little extra thing, your butt plate is coming away from the kidney on your right - this could just need a simple strapping adjustment.

Might be worth posting your photos (plus some more detailed pics) in the Pre-Approval area. As Daniel said, the more eyes the better.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/191-tk-pre-approvals/

Having said that, based on the feedback so far, I really don’t think you’ll have a lot to worry about. :-)

Dan

30 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

There is not much else to pick on

I actually see a few thing but then again I´m mean and quite often refered to as an accuracy nut so....And Jim as you are fairly new to me I just want to say that I kid around alot so take things with a bit of salt:) Now I´m beeing serious though - your armor looks as stated earlier great but the new pics show some room for improvment, however minor, they still matter. Greg mentioned the chest and elbows, first pics indicated that the bicep could come down to close the gap but now I´m more inclined to agree with raising the forearms would be best or possible a combination of both.

Question: how did you connect the back and chest at the shoulders? I can´t see any white fabric...which also brings me to: CRL The plastic shoulder straps need to be held down in the back via a white elastic band to the white fabric that connects/bridges the chest and back piece.

3wxRzhF.jpg

On this pic you can also see that there is no big end tab on the shoulder bridges so if it were me I would chop that off - it is however allowed to keep it but none of the Troopers in the Movie had that. There is actually a topic on that matter as I got some friendly suggestions to stop giving this advise…...and now Dan replied but I failed to show reply as I was on imgur…..oh well…….anyway I keep typing and here`s the link to said topic:salute: 

(had to go find it....)

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1