Rebels Stormtrooper CRL Discussion

Dark CMF

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give me 2 cents because I'm about to start this kit here soon. The only thing i really have an issue is with the weathering concerns. I hope that the gray washing would be a level two requirement. I think that some including me would like to have a clean shinny kit. I would hate not getting approved in this kit cause of a little weathering. Everything else in the crl is fine and do able it think.

Wanted to weigh in here since I'm (very slowly) working on building one of these kits. 

1. I disagree with the requirement of the grey weathering at basic level since it's very inconsistent across the different scenes in the show (textures used to imitate environmental lighting IMO) and kinda goes against the point of painting it gloss white and polishing to reflect light

2. Again, due to being inconsistent throughout, I don't think the gloss white and polished to reflect light should be a basic requirement and rather be reserved for a "hero" or level 2/3 variant. I personally think a satin white would emulate the on screen appearance. If anything, just list it as gloss white and leave the polished to reflect white out of it for basic.

3. I concur with the indents being painted a dark charcoal gray.

4. As much as I hate to put forth this idea, since the animated boots are very clearly different from standard OT TKs, I would think for the sake of the CRL at basic approval, it would be reasonable to accept standard OT TK boots if we're allowing ANH/ESB boots for FOTK and Funtasmas for basic OT TK approval (or at least modified to have the gray elastic).

That all being said, I have a few questions for the group:

A. Is anybody currently making/selling screen accurate animated TK boots or does anyone have a source for ones with flat soles that can be painted?

B. I agree that there is no black rubber trim like the OT TKs, but would white s-trim along the neck part of the helmet be acceptable to offer a finished edge, but not detract from the look, at least for basic approval?

C. Is the general consensus that there are no vertical ribs on the neck seal?

I can answer question A for you.

http://www.imperialboots.com/product/rebltk/

For B and C, not sure. I also think Jim may be working on a ABS version of the helmet. I'm assuming that would mean multiple pieces and similar to putting together a OT TK so not sure how that would affect the "seamless" bottom look. Currently I believe the helmet is resin/roto cast(?).

• Like 1

Weathering appears to be a sticking point for a lot of TKs, it seems.

I'd like to respectfully point out that this is really not a beginner's costume, and as such requires some different skills to complete.  We have weathering as a basic requirement in many 501st costumes:  Unweathered Clones aren't approved.  Unweathered HWT and Sandtroopers aren't approved.  Unweathered Boba doesn't get approved.  Please help me understand why this would be any different?

The more I look at the finish the more it looks like a porcelain finish.  It's 100% possible to do the finish and weathering to make it look like the on-screen examples...all of which show a gloss finish with subtle weathering, consistently among grunts on the ground, Commanders on Capital Ships, with lighting effects in darkness or in animated sunlight.  The indents are "painted" a dark charcoal gray (see example posted above).

These aren't too difficult of steps to be able to make this screen accurate, especially taking into account the amount of other work that isn't found in the movie TKs (seamless build, painting the pieces, etc.).  I strongly feel we run into dangerous territory if we allow idealization as a standard for approval...right?

I'm vigorously debating this, providing visual proof for any assertions I have made, so please do not misinterpret my vigor for anything other than a desire to help make the best possible costume for the fighting 501st..!

Eric, I am curious of your thoughts on the paint job on the life size Rebels TKs from the London Disney Store. I think it may be more of a paint job achievable at different levels of experience. I can post the pictures if you haven't seen them.

On screen would be the primary resource per usual for the CRL, but the toys, statues, etc could be used as additional resources when they agree with the original source.  I'd love to see the pics, since I'm not on the book of faces!!!  :D

• Like 1

You are all doing a lot of great and clearly passionate research on this costume, and that is appreciated on so many different levels.

I just wanted to take a few moments to chime in here to weigh in on a few things that are being discussed at length and to assure you that I'm quietly paying attention to your discussion and the work that is going on.

Weathering is one of those things that I feel is best left to happen on its own for the overwhelming majority of TK-based costumes.  Personally, I don't like the idea of requiring weathering - especially for basic level approval.  

Rather, I encourage the idea of allowing it to happen up to a certain degree.  For example, in the recently completed and approved CRL for Captain Phasma, the following note appears:  "Note: Armor weathering:  Captain Phasma's hard armor parts may be slightly weathered with dirt, smudges, and fingerprints. Battle damage or heavy weathering is not allowed."  

As there is precedent set for this approach in the FISD CRL development and approval process, this is the approach that I would be in support of with regard to this costume as well.

The color of the soles of the boots, and the painted or unpainted indents are, to me, the perfect type of details that would ultimately be incorporated in Level 2 or perhaps Level 3 costume approval.  At the end of the day, we want people to wear properly accurate costumes, but we also want to be careful that we do not set basic level approval at a bar high enough to dissuade, or discourage members and we also want to allow room for improvement in the costume standards.  As such, I would say that for basic approval the boot soles would have one or two options but for higher levels they must match what is determined to be seen on screen most consistently.  The same thinking applies for the painted indents for me.  They both provide a simple and attainable standard for improvement of the costume and therefore are probably best applied at advanced levels of approval.

Just a quick note, as I said...  You are all doing some awesome stuff here.  Thank you.  We'll begin compiling this CRL for submission in January, so if you have people who are building good looking kits, begin considering photos for use in the CRL.  At the end of the day, it was photo approval that took us so long with the Captain Phasma CRL because we wanted it done right the first time, as opposed to "we can always update it later."  As a new to the Legion costume, the FISD will do it right, the first time.  ;)   :smiley-sw013: 

• Like 3

Tim, I appreciate you poking your head in here.

I'll still disagree with weathering not being a requirement until or unless on-screen examples can be shown of a 100% shiny and unweathered RebsTK, but I will acquiesce to the direction of the DL in the interest of helping to complete this CRL.

On 11/22/2016 at 0:08 PM, eqdizzle said:

On screen would be the primary resource per usual for the CRL, but the toys, statues, etc could be used as additional resources when they agree with the original source.  I'd love to see the pics, since I'm not on the book of faces!!!  :D

Hey Eric, here are the pictures that were posted on Jim's facebook group.

cFI5Rdi.jpg

K3ikifF.jpg

fSwS02B.jpg

pzsgnZc.jpg

IAwQOQr.jpg

vyBXIHM.jpg

w9zd200.jpg

pbw9H3o.jpg

WvfWV5K.jpg

udVukdI.jpg

Edited by zv288bot
  • Like 1

Those are cool!  Thanks for sharing!  Looks like they painted the creases!  B)  They did miss a few features on the bucket, though...

I'll still contend that these are as critical to the build as painting the ab buttons on a Stunt TK, and requires the same amount of skill as such.

Not that my opinion matter a whole lot, but I agree that the painting of the recesses and the weathering / shading is what gives it the "animated" look. I think it's less environmental weathering and more like a "reverse highlighting" to make the details really stand out. That's my two cents. I was always a champion of this costume mainly for the fact that a lot of the kids we interact with would recognize this instantly. Many parents nowadays will let them watch Disney Channel long before introducing them to the OT.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The opera gloves I got were about half the price of the Nomex gloves I use for my CT, so bear that in mind as well.  They definitely look more like the show than the multi-textured Nomex ones.  Search "AveryDance Wrist Length Lycra Spandex Golves Halloween Costumes " on that website that begins with A and you'll find what I am using.

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 7:58 PM, Sentry71 said:

This topic has been quiet for some time... has the CRL been finalized or submitted yet? I don't see any mention of it on the CRL page.

Typically you'll see the CRL being published once there is a tentative approval from the LMO and DL.  It will require a full costume that is up to spec for front and back, and all individual parts.

• Like 2

Well, we can do all the text we want, but until someone builds the costume it's a bit of a moot point as we need pictures of each part.  Has anyone built this suit yet?

I am mostly certain that within the last week, WTF announced that a Rebels TK kit will be available soon.

Might be important to ensure that he is aware of this thread, if he intends to sell them to prospective members, lest the option wind up nothing like the CRL that is being worked here so far.

Following silent like a ninja

yes I am now working on just the fixes of the molds first and  accuracy as I do them 

the weathering .... my input it should be part of this URL to have at least a base or a small amount of weathering or most of the detail will be lost on this armor set

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, Daetrin said:

Well, we can do all the text we want, but until someone builds the costume it's a bit of a moot point as we need pictures of each part.  Has anyone built this suit yet?

There are a few fully completed suits out there. I know eqdizzle is working on his, and should be pretty close to complete.

Your point on photos is what I was missing. Thanks for the reminder. :) 

Edited by Sentry71
clarified text

Yes, I'm in contact with Walt, giving recommendations on updates. I need to expand the calves a second time so it will be a bit.

I think we're all in agreement that we'd rather have it done right rather than quickly...! :duim:

• Like 1