Rebels Stormtrooper CRL Discussion

Dark CMF

Much as we've seen recently with the addition of a few new costumes, the discussion about these gleaming white additions to the Empire's storied lineage has been heating up.  

As a result, this seems like the perfect opportunity to post this shell, and allow our community to begin the drafting process for what will eventually become the CRL standards for the Star Wars Rebels Animated Series Imperial Stormtrooper costume.

In advance, I want to thank all of you for the fun that we're going to have here and the healthy and spirited debate that will create that fun.  

Let's get to it.    :smiley-sw013:

Helmet

Neckseal

Chest plate

Back

Thermal detonator

Shoulder gaskets

Shoulder bells

Biceps

Elbow gaskets

Forearms

Gloves/handplates

Ab section

Codpiece 

Butt plate

Belt

Thighs

Knee gaskets

Shins

Boots

Blaster

• Like 4

Here's what I've come up with so far.  I'll try to post some good reference shots asap.  Every time I look at the pics I see something new, so please call out anything as you see it!

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• Animated style Stormtrooper Helmet

• Painted with gloss white or polished to shine in light

• Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray with a thin black border.

• Tears have 5 equally-distant parallel black lines at an angle towards the eyes, as per references

• Lenses are flat, dark smoke to obscure the wearer’s eyes.

• The “ear” bars are painted gray and are a flat rectangular section with two indented vertical stripes painted black.  The outline is painted with a thin black line.

• Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. Seven total teeth on the frown are cut out and the frown is tapered at the ends.

• Tube stripes are a light aqua blue and number 11 in total on each side. The lines are flat as no curve is present.

• Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted satin black.

• Forehead band is painted satin black.

• Aerators/Hovi mic tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are painted satin black. The tip is painted light primer gray/silver and is lightly weathered with a darker grey.

• Mesh must be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.

• No weather stripping on neck opening.

For level two certification (if applicable):
  • Helmet is subtly weathered with light gray, matching references.
  •  The edges of each tooth are edge lit with a lighter shade of grey matching references

Neck Seal

For 501st approval:

• Identical material or very similar in texture and color as the undersuit

• Black, with minimal dimension, fitted to the wearer

• Neck Seal covers all exposed skin

• If not integrated into the undersuit, armor must conceal the ends of the fabric, to give the impression that the suit and seal are a single piece.

• “Hero” version has 5 horizontal ribs

Under Suit

For 501st approval:

• Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs.

•  

Shoulder Straps

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style straps

• Must be made of ABS, styrene, or similar durable material

• Painted gloss white, polished to shine in light

• Consists of two larger end segments and 13 center segments

• Secured to chest and back armor with no visible method of attachment to match visual references

• Straps are thin with minimal dimension

• Weathered subtly with gray to match references

Shoulder Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Symmetrical bell shape with open bottom

• Vertical indent is colored gray

• Bell is worn with slight float above wearer’s arm

Upper Arm Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Armor is seamless with no indication of joining method

• Vertical indent on exterior of bicep is colored gray

• Armor is worn with the Shoulder armor overlapping to match references, with the vertical indent in line when arm is stretched straight.

Forearm Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Armor is seamless with no indication of joining method

• Forearms are symmetrical can be used for either arm.

• Bottom of forearm has 13 segmented rectangular indents beginning at wrist and ending at elbow scoop

• Armor is extended at the bottom at the elbow, and curves inwards toward the shorter top of arm.

• Vertical indent must line up with indents on Shoulder Bell and Biceps when arm is stretched straight

• Detail indents are colored gray

Hand Plates

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove.

• Hand Plates are mirror images of each other

• Detail indents are colored gray

Gloves

For 501st approval:

• Black in color, closely matching  undersuit in material and color, with no visible straps or logos/designs.

• Dimension is kept to a minimum.  Nomex gloves are not acceptable.

Chest Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Chest armor overlaps the abdominal plate

Back Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Back plate contains a "O II" design.

• Back plate has a gap above kidney plate

• Gap present between the chest plate and back plate, lined up with vertical indent on abdomen armor

Abdomen/Kidney Armor

• Animated Style armor

• Ab/Kidney is worn as a single piece fitted to the wearer’s body

• Armor is essentially seamless, but minimal seam at one of the vertical indents is allowed.

• Center rectangle section of Ab has 5 approximately ¼” “buttons” which are flat or recessed slightly, painted black

• Left side rectangular section has 4 smaller recessed “buttons” painted black.

• Right side rectangular section has detail indented rectangle just below the chest armor

• Indents are colored gray

Posterior Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• No snaps or rivets visible

• Rear rectangular indent lines up with indent detail on kidney plate

• Indents painted gray

• Bottom part of armor narrows and covers part of the underside, ending approximately halfway under the wearer, and does not attach to the bottom of the cod.

Cod Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Vertical indent leading down to a hexogonal section colored gray

• Wraps around side of hip with a small edge appearing below belt, ending behind drop box

Belt

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style belt

• Is either integral to or fits against cod/posterior armor without gap.

• Segmented across the front to the center of the side of the costumer, typically 13 total sections, 6 on each side of the center segment

• Center section has an oval indent that lines up with the vertical indent of the cod.

• Back of belt is non-segmented

• Indents are colored gray

• Animated-style Drop boxes are attached at each side, lining with the center of the final segment.  No straps or visible means of attachment are present.

• No holster is present

Thermal Detonator

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style detonator

• Is a cylinder with no indents

• Has a gray “U” shape paint detail, thinly outlined in black, lining up with indents on kidney and posterior armor.

• 8 detail dark gray/black “buttons” are present on the right, inside the “U” shape detail

• No clips or other means of attachment are visible

Thigh Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Vertical indent in front and rear of thigh, colored gray

• Seamless construction

• Has a detail “point” on rear side

• Ammo belt attached without visible seams on the underside to bottom of right leg.  Slight seam permitted on upper side.

Lower Leg Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Vertical indent in front and rear of legs, colored gray

• Seamless construction preferred, but an opening may be hidden to allow wearer to get legs into armor

• Sniper plate on left knee is integral or attached without seams, and has hexagonal indent detail, colored gray

• Bottoms of leg armor are curved to accommodate boots with minimal gapping.

Boots

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style Boot

• Flat black sole

• Webbing is primer gray “U” shaped, and wider than Movie TK boots, thinly outlined in black

• Thin black stitching or detail line at bottom of webbing to sole

• Boots have polished shine similar to armor

• No seam at back of boot

Optional Accessories

Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present appear as described below.

E-11 Blaster

For 501st approval:

Manufactured by BlasTech Industries, the E-11 is standard-issue for many Imperial troops. Light, compact yet powerful, the E-11 blaster is always in high demand throughout the galaxy.

• Animated style E-11 blaster

• Illuminated red in barrel

Edited by eqdizzle
  • Like 3

I suggest to add black/white/orange PAULDRON to optional accessories section

I was thinking about that.  Since that is really the only difference between the officers/leaders and the grunts, I think it would make sense to keep them in a single CRL as optional accessories.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Huge effort and thanks to Eric for wording most of the CRL. Having never watched an episode of Rebels, ignore me if I'm off the mark, but a few thoughts:

BTW, just got pricing and ETA from Jim, so seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on this kit. It's pretty cool!

Neck Seal

For 501st approval:

• Same material as the undersuit

• Black, with minimal dimension, fitted to the wearer

• Neck Seal covers all exposed skin

• If not integrated into the undersuit, armor must conceal the ends of the fabric, to give the impression that the suit and seal are a single piece.

• “Hero” version has 5 horizontal ribs

That is going to be really hard to do (same material as undersiut) and even harder to police at GML level, so I would ditch it. I doubt a GML would even be able to see it based on the required photos for approval. Just say black neck seal. Leave the detail for level 2 or 3.

• Vertical indent is colored gray

•  

All the references to "Vertical indent is gray". Is this just shadow effect and the subtle gray weathering? Pics above certainly show the lines, but don;t really indicate it to be gray. I could be and probably am wrong... 

Gloves

For 501st approval:

• Black in color, closely matching  undersuit in material and color, with no visible straps or logos/designs. 

• Dimension is kept to a minimum.  Nomex gloves are not acceptable.

Why are Nomex gloves not acceptable? Again, with the photos we need to submit to a GML, they will not be able to tell. Only that they are black. Leave that specifics to Level 2,3.

Back Armor

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style armor

• Back plate contains a "O II" design.

• Back plate has a gap above kidney plate

• Gap present between the chest plate and back plate, lined up with vertical indent on abdomen armor

I would probably lose the last point about lining up vertically. Too specific for basic approval. Doesn't allow any variances for slightly different body shapes. Back plate gap, you could probably say "ideally" has a gap. And leave "must have gap" for level 2,3.

Oops, battery 3%, about to shut down. I'll try get some some more input later....

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 2

Boots

For 501st approval:

• Animated Style Boot

• Flat black sole

• Webbing is primer gray “U” shaped, and wider than Movie TK boots, thinly outlined in black

• Thin black stitching or detail line at bottom of webbing to sole

• Boots have polished shine similar to armor

• No seam at back of boot

Food for thought here: A standard ANH/ESB boot would not look totally out of place on this costume, so similar to how they're allowed on a FO TK, should we allow them here. Proper Animated style boot for level 2 or 3?

I think for this costume, we should give it the same respect we would other newer CRL costumes.  We have sources for the armor and bucket., so it's really the soft parts that may or may not present a challenge.  Boots are now in production, and pricing shouldn't differ too much from the standard TK meaning this should imho not be an issue. 

On the neck seal, we could update to:  Must be same or very similar in color and texture to undersuit material  for the first line  This would allow separate neckseals but still get the look and point across.

On the vertical indents, all the references I've seen short of the "Hero" shot of Rex and Kanan in TK disguise show a micro-dot dark grey coloration in the indents, regardless of lighting.  In watching a LOT of the episodes, tons of miniature dots are used all over everything and are unique to the animated styling of the show.  While I don't think the micro-dots should be a requirement, the grey weathering and the indent coloration should absolutely be included.

On the gloves, these should be very easy to source.  These should just be a form-fitting glove without labels and details in a material very similar to the undersuit material.  I use Nomex for my CT, but these have the leather portions and dimension that isn't present in the animations.  If they were hard to source, I'd probably agree with you, but a pair of wrist-length opera gloves will cost you less than a pair of Nomex..!!! 

On lining up the back plate indent to the butt plate indent, I need to word that differently.  Ideally, when standing straight, these should line up to create a squared "U" shape, and I don't think this should be affected by body shape.  This really doesn't have anything to do with the gap, so it needs to be a separate line.  The gap itself could be accomplished by trimming the armor in most cases, right?

Finally, on boots.  We require an animated style boot for the Animated Clones, so I don't see why that should be a hurdle.  I understand that during the rush to get a bunch of costumes completed for their launch at Celebration Anaheim, that some corners were cut, but I don't see a justification for it here.  Imperial Boots is working on a prototype now, and these should be similar pricing to standard TK boots, fwiw.

BTW...I love the debate and challenges to what I've put out there, but I do feel strongly that this is a different build than the Movie TKs and should be treated differently as well!!

Thanks for the work that you put into this, Eric.

I disagree on the grey weathering being a requirement at basic level. Yes, the animation style and shading does tend to give the armor a light grey pall, but I think that has more to do with simulating the environmental effects than the armor itself. I would prefer to go gloss white on the armor (with grey indents), but that is personal taste.

• Like 2

I still think the grey indents could be shadows or dirt/weathering and I'd prefer to see them left white (or weathered).

Re: Garys comment about about the overall shading/weathering.... Hmmm.... They're definitely weathered in all images we see, but you would think it was issued to new members shiny and new, so I'll abstain from that vote :)

Thanks for the work that you put into this, Eric.

I disagree on the grey weathering being a requirement at basic level. Yes, the animation style and shading does tend to give the armor a light grey pall, but I think that has more to do with simulating the environmental effects than the armor itself. I would prefer to go gloss white on the armor (with grey indents), but that is personal taste.

If it weren't clearly visible on every reference shot, in every type of lighting situation, and on every type of trooper (from the basic grunt to the Elite squads), I'd agree with you.  These troopers have some weathering, not unlike the Sand Troopers, or HWT.  To not include weathering as a basic requirement (as is the case for a LOT of 501st costumes outside of the FISD), would do disservice to the character, imho!

I still think the grey indents could be shadows or dirt/weathering and I'd prefer to see them left white (or weathered).

Re: Garys comment about about the overall shading/weathering.... Hmmm.... They're definitely weathered in all images we see, but you would think it was issued to new members shiny and new, so I'll abstain from that vote :)

You'll want to look closely at the show, but the indents are clearly "painted" on in the animation, once again taking into account different lighting conditions..  As long as you can faithfully recreate the look, I think you'd be good.  I don't necessarily think the micro-dotting must be a requirement, but is the method used to "paint" these.

Either way, you'd need dark charcoal in the crevices to show the look correctly.

On 10/16/2016 at 12:41 AM, eqdizzle said:

You'll want to look closely at the show, but the indents are clearly "painted" on in the animation, once again taking into account different lighting conditions..  As long as you can faithfully recreate the look, I think you'd be good.  I don't necessarily think the micro-dotting must be a requirement, but is the method used to "paint" these.

Either way, you'd need dark charcoal in the crevices to show the look correctly.

Half of my points are "what's reasonably assessable". Yes, the indents appear somewhat different in appearance. All of the screen caps above I don't see a definitive 'painted grey'. If you look at Kat's image of her raw kit, below, the indents look a different colour. However, they're obviously not.

If you say the armour needs to be lightly weathered with a grey wash, then weathering will naturally go into the crevices. (that is probably as you say "recreating the look") That's the nature of all weathering. So I don't think you need to have something in a basic approval CRL that the GML will not be able to police. There's no way they'll be able to tell whether its fully painted or nicely weathered.

I went through the rubbish approval of my Snowtrooper - half the things on it's CRL aren't even visible. Who on earth can police something that isn't visible. I think it needs to be a compromise between screen accuracy, easily do-able, approvable by GML's. Save the finer points for Level 2,3. (you don't even need 45deg belts, or side rivets until level 3 for a standard TK! They were clearly on all the suits)

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Most definitely different. Still not convincing me on the painted lines though. Pics of the Rebels above don't look any different to the Clone Trooper below, whose CRL just says 'weathered with shades of grey'

1710082aa9ba34b3f15ca9891b360294_zpsofs0

A further view on the weathering is that the lines are grey, then there's a white wash, then further grey shading. More swaying my mind to weathering as opposed to paint. 

And I'm guessing we won't get our hands on any screen used costumes to verify? LOL. Or better screen caps showing crystal clear paint lines?

Anyway, I'll let the powers to be decide which way they want to go.

I just saw this pick posted on Instagram. Interesting to see the finish is consistent between the show and looks like Disney store prop displays.

d00e62ec16d417f2326949ba6ef959f4.jpg

sent from my phone

• Like 1

I have just sent you (Eric) a few photos I took of the 2 Disney Rebels TKs on display at Harrods during Celebration Europe: London 2016.

For level 1 approval:

• Recessed lines have grey weathering.
  • Gloves - nomex acceptable. For level 2 & above, gloves should match undersuit material
  • Boots should be animated version
  • Armour is lightly weathered

Optional accessories:

• Animated E-11
  • Animated Pauldron - colours black/black, orange/black or white/black

Are you talking about the action figures?  These are secondary references and not used unless they match the on-screen references.  Notice the soles of the feet are white also?  What about the traps on the back?

I've been so flippin busy that I haven't had the time to grab them, but I will assure you they are there.  Grab the blu-ray and you'll see it right away.