Does anyone know what the Walt Disney World troopers use for their voice?

darthaldernu

I was just watching this video, I can see that they're just using voice samples and not actually speaking themselves but it seems as though they can pick and choose which sample they want to use and when. I think it sounds great and wouldn't mind having something similar with my kit!

https://youtu.be/3sKRMT5H9Do

Edited by DarthAldernu
  • Like 3

All Disney characters have their own handlers.. (the Mouse requires it).   I've never actually heard one "speak", except on stage, where it is definitely pre-recorded.

The Stormtroopers are paid actors, just like any other character you see at Disney. Disney splits their actors into two categories: those who can talk, and those who cannot. These fall under those who cannot. I met Kylo Ren at Disneyland last month and he was the same way; prerecorded sound bits that responded PERFECTLY, and right on time, to the situation.

As I understand it, Disney had voice actors record about a thousand lines of dialogue for these characters (Adam Driver recorded about 2,500 lines for Kylo Ren). The sounds come out of the stormtroopers' actual helmets, like you would expect from watching the films. Most of the lines are generic, and can easily apply to just about any situation. From what I've gathered (and I could be wrong), they're triggered within the troopers' gloves. When it comes to SPECIFIC things that need to be said, the handlers around the troopers can subtly send the appropriate radio feed - but it happens very, very rarely.

There was a thread, either here or in one of the FB groups, that discussed the kit.  Apparently it's very sophisticated.  Plays pre-recorded clips, triggered by controls in the glove.  I can't recall if it's gesture-based or has touch controls.

This weekend I saw the trigger glove used by a "Chewbacca" at a local troop.  It had a touch point contact in the thumb, and corresponding contacts at the tip and first joint of each finger.  Touching the thumb tip to the index finger, triggered growl #1.  Touching it to the first joint on the index finger triggered growl #2.  Middle finger tip is growl #3.  Etc.  Two sounds per finger, using the thumb to trigger them, so he had a choice of 8 sounds, all easily triggered with subtle movements of one hand.  And this was just a homemade kit.  The Disney kit is reportedly much more sophisticated... but I suspect it uses similar overall function, regardless of some of the specific details.  The actor just triggers the phrase they want from a canned set of choices.  A little practice and it all looks pretty seamless.

• Like 2

Really interesting stuff guys! I'd love a piece of kit like that for my FOTK, wonder how much something like that would set you back... o_o awesome to hear how it's done though.

EDIT: May have found the guy with the Chewbacca costume's post about it, or someone else with the same idea - http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=346788

Edited by DarthAldernu

Oh and here's a link to a similar piece of kit, Disney's is probably much more sophisticated like you said but you can't fault this for the price! There's also one available with the four buttons plus two light sensor modules that trigger sound!

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Really interesting stuff guys! I'd love a piece of kit like that for my FOTK, wonder how much something like that would set you back... o_o awesome to hear how it's done though.

EDIT: May have found the guy with the Chewbacca costume's post about it, or someone else with the same idea - http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=346788

Definitely not our guy.  That guy is in Connecticut, and we're in SoCal.  Similar idea, but I believe his was homemade with an Arduino controlling the sound and the glove was made using conductive thread for the contacts.

I'll see if I can reach him and find out if there is any info on his setup online.

I suspect Disney's setup is considerably more sophisticated and polished, but the both do similar things in a generally-similar manner, regardless.

ALL THAT SAID: Most Stormtrooper voice changers change YOUR actual voice to sound like a stormtrooper.  So why stick to prerecorded clips when you can simply say whatever you want?  Especially since there's not very much actual Stormtrooper dialog to use as source material... you'd be pretty limited.

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

this is exactly what they use heres the link to their build..... I've personally have seen it and its very complex lol 

their chest holds a battery thats pretty big and it holds what they call the brain for the trooper in which they have to connect to a computer and make sure all is in their and running smooth they do activate it with hand gestures its like a rubbery material that gets put on to thumb and then they just make different finger positions for different pre recored sounds I'm pretty sure I'm very late but this is the link to a bit of whats in their armor.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20140358263

• Like 3

I use a five button greeting card USB module for my Jawa. Ten bucks.

Building a Jawa with my daughter. Do you have more details or a build thread you can PM me? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think they're genric sound loops, but specifically generic if that make sence, for example during our last visit to Hollywood Studios, my daughter went running up to them and one of them said "woahh, slow down there youngling!" I wouldn't be surprised if most of the responces are controled within a glove remote and some are controled by a handler.

• Like 1