Driving in armor

E-Ren89

So Halloween is coming up as we all know, I am going to be wearing my TK armor this year. Halloween weekend I have local places I can walk to, however I am in a band and we have a show that Monday, actual Halloween. So there will be commuting and driving, I'm wondering if there's any possible way for me to be able to drive so I don't have to change when I get there? Or a good course of action. I have to wear this because wearing it while playing a show sounds too good and too fun

Oof. Obviously no bucket (hopefully that goes without saying... especially since it's likely illegal), but I don't think I could actually get behind the wheel while in armor. Even laying down on the back seat (if that was an option) would be pretty dicey (not mention hard on the armor).

Other than a tall bus or van that you can stand in (legally?) for the trip, I would plan on suiting up in the parking lot. Around here it's pretty common for troopers to arrive already wearing the undersuit, with some basketball shorts and a shirt over it, so there's no need to strip down too far while suiting up.

Edited by kman
  • Like 2

In most states and provinces there's a traffic violation for operating a vehicle while improperly attired / capable of driving safely. Its the law they use for ticketing people who crash wearing high heels, kiss boots, wedges, car packed on moving day and the seats all the way up and you can barely move feet, etc.

Don't ruin the armour driving in it.

I took over for the day lol

Hydra does.

Take a good look again at the first order logo...Hydra, top view.

Edited by sylverbard
  • Like 1

In most states and provinces there's a traffic violation for operating a vehicle while improperly attired / capable of driving safely. Its the law they use for ticketing people who crash wearing high heels, kiss boots, wedges, car packed on moving day and the seats all the way up and you can barely move feet, etc.

Don't ruin the armour driving in it.

Joy killer 

I know in California there is no specific law that I have found that prohibits us from wearing our buckets during driving even though it might not be the smartest thing. It could be argued either way by you and the officer as mine doesn't obstruct my view and I can see out of my windshield and in all my mirrors just as if I was wearing sunglasses.

It is only illegal if you are trying to hide your identity during or while trying to commit a crime or evade detection.

BTW: It was fun seeing peoples expression while I was driving on May the 4th. That is all I am going to say about that.

I know in California there is no specific law that I have found that prohibits us from wearing our buckets during driving even though it might not be the smartest thing. It could be argued either way by you and the officer as mine doesn't obstruct my view and I can see out of my windshield and in all my mirrors just as if I was wearing sunglasses.

It is only illegal if you are trying to hide your identity during or while trying to commit a crime or evade detection.

BTW: It was fun seeing peoples expression while I was driving on May the 4th. That is all I am going to say about that.

Considering you can get a ticket for having something hanging from your rear view mirror because it "obstructs your view" I don't think there is any chance wearing a Stormtrooper helmet would hold up.  That DEFINITELY obstructs the driver's view.

Not any more than sunglasses.

If that is the case then wouldn't a required motorcycle helmet obstruct your view?

This is fun.

Under California Vehicle Code 26708 subdivision (a)(2), a person shall not drive a car with any object or material placed, affixed, or installed on the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

The helmet isn't placed, affixed or installed on the vehicle. It's on my person.

Every couple of months the CHP sets up a commercial vehicle checkpoint directly in front of my office. The next time they are here I will ask them directly and report back.

Edited by mikidymac
  • Like 1

Not any more than sunglasses.

If that is the case then wouldn't a required motorcycle helmet obstruct your view?

This is fun.

Under California Vehicle Code 26708 subdivision (a)(2), a person shall not drive a car with any object or material placed, affixed, or installed on the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

The helmet isn't placed, affixed or installed on the vehicle. It's on my person.

Every couple of months the CHP sets up a commercial vehicle checkpoint directly in front of my office. The next time they are here I will ask them directly and report back.

Enclosed motorcycle helmets are strictly regulated and have a wide continuous panel that goes across the eyes, above and below, and curve relatively far to the sides, specifically designed not to impede your field of vision up down left or right.  Definitely not small individual lenses placed relatively far from the eyes.

Please update if you hear back from CHP, I'm very curious to hear what they have to say!

Here there's the offence of careless driving and I'm pretty sure wearing a bucket to drive would get you nicked for that.

Even IF it's legal it's still incredibly reckless to endanger yourself and others.

On 10/1/2016 at 3:01 AM, kman said:

Enclosed motorcycle helmets are strictly regulated and have a wide continuous panel that goes across the eyes, above and below, and curve relatively far to the sides, specifically designed not to impede your field of vision up down left or right.  Definitely not small individual lenses placed relatively far from the eyes.

Please update if you hear back from CHP, I'm very curious to hear what they have to say!

There is no law requiring full face motorcycle helmets. It does suggest eye protection and protective clothing but doesn't regulate it.

----------

These would be legal.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Here there's the offence of careless driving and I'm pretty sure wearing a bucket to drive would get you nicked for that.

Even IF it's legal it's still incredibly reckless to endanger yourself and others.

Don't get me wrong, I think it isn't a great idea but what we are questioning is is it illegal so please don't flame me.

However it would have to be proved that you were driving careless or reckless. If you were driving perfectly fine and normal obeying all laws then this would not apply.

The same goes for peripheral vision. 99% of the time I wear contacts but on occasion I do were glasses to drive and when I am wearing glasses I can only see where the lenses are directly in front of my eyes and loose the peripheral vision just to the design of glasses in general so I have to move my head to see out of the side windows and side mirrors and this is all perfectly legal.

Now when I am wearing contact my bucket fits very well and my field of vision is the same as with plain glasses so when driving the bucket is no more restrictive than glasses. In addition I am not endangering myself or others as I said in my particular bucket fit I can actually see very well out of the entire windshield and mirrors.

Again, I might have done it once but don't plan to do it again. Not that I am saying I did. ;)