rl180

Greetings from Buke, VA

Greetings,

I've been lurking the forms for a few weeks to learn as much as I can.  I have a good understanding of the various armors types and history, terms and materials needed. I have taken extensive notes.

Goal: ANH Stunt to EIB.  The Centurion doesn't look that bad either.  One step at a time, then later on perhaps convert to HWT.

I like the sharper pulls that Anovos has yet still retains some of the wonky factor of the asymmetry but yet is cleaned up a little.  I have not seen any armor in person, but based on pictures I've seen it looks like decent compromise.  I followed several build threads such as "ukswrath" centurion and it doesn't look that difficult for me.

Based on my size (5' 8" and 185 lbs), I understand that MTK armor would be a good fit for me, but I have not been able to locate a detailed build thread in the forums.  Mike does to have some videos on his web site but I'd like to see other people working with it.  I understand why some people have gripes with Mike but the armor looks good.  

I live in Northern Virginia and have already reached out to my local garrison.  Before pulling the trigger on ordering armor and going down this dark path, I need a better understanding of the opportunities are to wear it.  I'm all for doing this to makes kids smile (or scared).

Lastly I'm in my mid-forties I can't help but feel I might be past prime for this stuff.  But since you'll wearing helmets I can't tell  :smiley-sw013:

Hello and welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forums! Don't feel like you're too old to enjoy Star Wars; we have members in the 501st into their 70s! 

Dude, I'm 37 and I'm just getting into this awesomeness. In fact, I'm about to submit a shadowtrooper (TX) this Sunday. That'll be costume #2. You're not too old to bring smiles to kids and the kid at heart. Nor too told to be a life sized action figure.

Do it.

You're obviously on the right path! The trimming process is basically the same over all. Don't think that Anovos is any more special. You all have to trim it to for you. Ask the kits are very similar in that respect.

Plenty of trimming.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. Everyone has been a newbie, so we're here to help you.

Welcome aboard!

TK 31201 : Star Garrison : North Texas Squad

Yo.

I'm 47. Centurion.

Consider the gauntlet thrown, Sirrah. ;-)

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the white zone! You can believe me, every age is the right age to enjoy this stuff! :) Making the kids (and not only the little ones ;) ) smile while trooping is priceless and a great experience every single time.

You are on the right path. If you stay on your course the Centurion level will be no problem for you. Doing the research thoroughly is the key to success. Take your time to study the various build threads here and the adcanced tactics area. There you find everything you need. And if there any questions don't hesitate to ask. The troopers of the FISD are happy to help you any time. :trooper:

With unquestioned loyalty :salute:

Christian

Edited by Novak Dimon

Welcome to the boards, Richard!  Great to hear that you have started your research... that really is the key here.  (Well, that and patience).  Also glad to know that you are aiming for EIB right out of the box.  Centurion is not as hard as you may think, and HWT is always a great option, but I may be a little biased there, LOL.

Past your prime?  Not at all!  I didn't join until after I was 50, have 3 Centurion levels under my belt, and will keep trooping until I drop.

As for the opportunities to wear it, that depends on your local Garrisons and Squads.  Most have quite a number of events you can get out and make people smile.  My Squad, (Makaze) had over 260 events last year alone, and you can pick and choose the ones you want from what is offered on your Garrison's boards.

Unfortunately, you probably will not have access to these event listings on their site until you are approved, but you will be surprised how often we are requested.

Keep up the great work, and ask any questions you may have.. we are here to help!

Welcome, Richard!  :salute:

You're not too old and our garrison should give you plenty of opportunities to wear your armor.

• Like 1

Welcome Richard! You think you may be past your prime but you just stepped into a world filled with people exactly like you. Many of us enjoyed the original trilogy on the big screen and now that we have time and money, are finally fulfilling our childhood fantasies of being stormtroopers and believe me, when you first see your kit come out of the box, you'll get goosebumps. :)

Hi Richard!  I'm a couple hours south of you, closer to Richmond, and my kit is a MTK.  I mainly got it because of the price, short wait time, and a good friend of mine in the Garrison recommended him.  It was very, very raw and I had to do a LOT of cutting just to get each piece out so I could work on it.  I don't have a build thread for it (I didn't even join FISD until a few weeks after I got approved, completely bass-ackwards I know lol) but there are enough people in your area with plenty of experience building a lot of different armors.  

Edited by mgb1016

Welcome to the FISD Richard! Your the perfect age to troop! I'm 46 in real life. I'm 7 again when I suit up and see the look of the kids faces when they see me. And I'm just as pumped as they are! You're gonna love it, it's almost an addiction. You'll also be stepping into what I like to think as a second family. So go to some events with your local garrison and wrangle with them. You can see some armor in person also. Your on the right track here. Just take your time cause you doing your best makes us look our best! Good Luck Future Trooper!

Hey Richard and welcome to FISD!  Well I can tell you first hand that MTK is an amazing kit.  It has gone through a couple of updates since I have gotten mine and it has only made it better.  My build thread is in my signature and you can look at it and ask me any questions you may have on it.  I bought it between the price and wait time.  It just fit everything I was looking for.  And FYI I am 5'8" and weight usually between 190-195 and it fits perfectly.  It is also very easy to take right to centurion.  Mike's videos are a great resource as well.  If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me or ask.  Have fun and good luck

• Like 1

I see that at least two Garrison Tyranus members have already chimed in - including one (Melissa) who owns an MTK kit. Good ... :)

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you sign up on the GT forum right away. We are different from many units in that you don't have to be an approved 501st member to be on our forum - we have quite a few prospective members on our internal boards as well. Once you get an account, scan for events and armor parties - in particular those here in the NoVA area. By attending these, you will be able to see a wide variety of kits up close - both completed and build-in-progress.

Speaking of near-term events, one of our big events of the year is coming up in a few weeks - "Air and Scare" at the National Air & Space Museum's Dulles Airport (Udvar-Hazy Center) campus. Sign up to help out as a handler (or just show up as a fan/attendee) and you'll be able to see the costumes, stop by the fan table, and spend a few minutes talking to the members. :)

• Like 1