Well i just had an event this weekend that went well, while my armor is still in a box at home waiting on a helmet, most of the TK's around me were baking up a storm in their armor.

Nobody got into armor until around 6:00 or so, which at that point the temperature was already 100.9 °F / 38.3 °C, and stayed in armor till around 9:00 where the temperature dropped down to 82.9 °F / 28.3 °C,

Well meanwhile someone brought these Gel packed neckbands that have been soaking in a cooler, just placing them around our necks cooled us down quite a bit and stayed cool for around an hour or two hours depending on if you're out in the sun or under an easy up.

Well i did some research on the product and found a vest version

The Cool Vest Lite

------------

of all the versions i found i thought this one was the best because the straps might just be concealable enough so it does not stick out in the wrong areas, plus it comes in white so it may blend in with armor if worn over a Lycra Dive Skin.

Apparently it maintains a constant 62 °F / 16.6 °C and stays cool for 1.5 - 2 Hours

weighs aprox 3.8 pounds and has Adjustable sizes from SM, M, L, XL, and i'm more than sure we're smart enough to rig one to fit XXL+

best part in my opinion is that it only takes 20 minutes to re-cool in ice cold water.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

That's pretty nice if you're in an area that gets heat. The one time I did a Vader in summer I just duct taped cold packs to my body (yes, I was wearing a t-shirt). Worked for a one time deal, but not something you'd want to have to do over and over.

That's pretty nice if you're in an area that gets heat. The one time I did a Vader in summer I just duct taped cold packs to my body (yes, I was wearing a t-shirt). Worked for a one time deal, but not something you'd want to have to do over and over.

Yeah, I've been to Woodinville before, not much heat there lol.

but yeah the temperature this weekend was scorching, i think we went through well over 70 bottles of water in a day, i also just recently found the inner gel used to make these vests and figured I'd try my luck at making an ab / kidney plate garter belt or something, but i think the chest piece alone is worth it.

do you guys know if the exterior part of the cooling vests are cold or just the interior part?

the way they describe the product it sounds like the cooling packs press against the body and not the outside so i'd assume the exterior is dry, however i sent an email just in case.

if it's not that could be modified to stay dry.

• 9 years later...